Ideas for pressing hash

@bluter There's a craft distiller in town near here. I'll check and see if they'll sell me a couple litres of high grade ethanol. BTW are you a land medic? That's what I did long ago.

likely have to buy it through an intermediary unless the distiller is licensed to sell to public. some are some aren't. if they have a tasting room they usually have a license. you can also purchase it through a business if you run one that needs hand sanitizer, it is sold in 20L pails.

my current job touches on liquor distribution, which is where i learnt about this.

@Brewsterman I think a nice wood fire in the country winter months is almost heaven. For my first try, maybe 10g I'll start with the double boiler so I don't burn it. Then more heat if i get the hang of it. Does the flavour change when you let it darken on the heat? Is that the difference between black and brown/blonde? Heating during the press?
Try oven at 225 degrees F. That is the temp for decarboxylization for 15-20 mins. Have you tried it with parchment paper and a heat press?

Have you tried it with parchment paper and a heat press?
Yes, for sure. It will stick together with a small T-press warmed in simmering water, but that's too small. I'm trying to glom together larger amounts.

Ooop, wait just a second. Define "Heat Press". What do you have in mind?

for has pressing - Look at Frenchy the hash Man he use's a wine bottle - looking at his video's looks' , going to run 45 micron and then a 160 micron But 120 was mentioned and maybe i'll ren all with that, But rthe 45 gets the heads of the trichomes and the 160 gets the body of (reference Frenchy) any info will bne greatl;y appreciated ---Peace dry ice method for 100grams maybe one can use a floor jack some how or samll hydraluic from a cheap tool store

Thanks @safeman

For sure I think you're right about the small hydraulic Jack, especially if you could warm it too. I've been wondering what plates to use to press with. Maybe just a couple 10x10cm (4x4) steel plates. Still thinking. While I'm thinking, I'm smoking the kief anyway lol

I've seen the Frenchman's videos. The wine bottle didn't work out like in his video. Perhaps better with a finer grade like 45 or even 75 microns. I only did 120 and 160. One fella puts it in his shoe :laughtwo: great for small amounts, but not 100g or more.

Cheers man :thumb:

I often face the very same problem.

Heating it enough can change it from something that doesn’t stick together, to something that is much more sticky. But you have to get it hot. I have posted this method a couple times in my journal - here is a link. And another link within that post.

I often face the very same problem.

Heating it enough can change it from something that doesn’t stick together, to something that is much more sticky. But you have to get it hot. I have posted this method a couple times in my journal - here is a link. And another link within that post.

when you heat it - yoou are decarbonixation it - temp need to be 180-200 - got to find a bottle that will not crack with hot water. any suggestions - look for heated rolling pins (bakers) or a even hollow one's ( which would be the best_)

I’ve tried all kinds of methods over the last 30+ years. I used to make hash long before I started growing weed. With higher grade hash and especially with water hash I don’t need to heat it at all. Lower grades of water hash I would just warm in my hand or sometimes in the oven a little bit. I’ve also tried the ‘shoe technique’ and putting it in hot water, etc.

It depends on the individual batch. I do find some dry sift generally more difficult to glom together.

Normally in the oven I would just heat it up to 150 - 200° F. Just enough to warm it and get it squishy. But with some more stubborn lower grade or difficult-to-stick versions, I found a method of using higher heat -which is what I was referring to above. Yes it will start to decarb and also start to vaporize

I’ve tried all kinds of methods over the last 30+ years. I used to make hash long before I started growing weed. With higher grade hash and especially with water hash I don’t need to heat it at all. Lower grades of water hash I would just warm in my hand or sometimes in the oven a little bit. I’ve also tried the ‘shoe technique’ and putting it in hot water, etc.

It depends on the individual batch. I do find some dry sift generally more difficult to glom together.

Normally in the oven I would just heat it up to 150 - 200° F. Just enough to warm it and get it squishy. But with some more stubborn lower grade or difficult-to-stick versions, I found a method of using higher heat -which is what I was referring to above. Yes it will start to decarb and also start to vaporize
ran just ran with a 160 micron - now pressing - thanks for your info. Need to find a bottle. SO the smaller the micron better prressing. ran 45 micron first and got a bad return (but pure) (return was poor). dry ice is very easy maybe might consider bubbling - what is a good machine to get without spending a lot of money. Dry ice ran $9.00

Hi guys, Frenchy is working with some growers in Quebec. They're doing alot of testing with pressing and how it relates to cabinoid and terpene expression. He use to be on the bandwagon knocking Canadian cannabis producers. I'm hoping we get it, the hash selling right now is lack luster.

Back
Top Bottom