Identifying deficiencies in early growth: need help

Here another to serve a learning purpose. It was the healthy plant you all identified earlier. What am I looking at here? Can't be all stupidity!?

IMG_20200605_165334.jpg

IMG_20200605_165347.jpg

If you look close you can see the pale yellow cotelydns (?). All nutrients sucked right out! That leaf where my thumb is is grey and crispy. Yum!

Busy weekend! In fact so busy I never made it around to posting everything I meant to. Typed it out but guess I forgot to hit enter. Ha! Anyway, decided it was the time to transplant and give everyone their first real dose of nutes. The autos will finish out their life in 3 gal containers and the photo's will be up potted to 7 when the time is right. Here is the little LSD auto that started it all. This is the morning after a little dose of some Mothers Helper.

LSDBarneyRecov.jpg

Here is the rest of the crew after the same treatment....

The morning after.jpg

Below is the healthy plant someone ID'd earlier. Looking healthy with some sporty roots!

IMG_20200606_102450.jpg

Roots.jpg

Sitting in new happy home!

IMG_20200607_113831.jpg

Here is the text from my master plan:

Strain - Green Crack by Garden of Green (Fem) (x1)
Indoor/Photo
Light Cycle - 18/6 (Dependant upon auto life cycle. WIll veg for the entire lifecycle.)
Medium - FF Ocean Forest w/15% perlite (seedling thru first transplant in LW)
Nutes - Meigs Fertilizer (Powder, Formula 1&2)

Indoor/Photo
Light Cycle - 18/6 (Dependant upon auto life cycle. WIll veg for the entire lifecycle.)
Medium - Roots Organic Original Potting Soil (seedling thru first transplant in LW)
Nutes - Meigs Fertilizer (Liquid schedule)

Indoor/Photo
Medium - Cyco Wormix w/5% bio-char
Nutes - Meigs Liquid

Strain - LSD by Barneys (x3)
Indoor/Auto
Light Cycle - 18/6 for 65 days
Medium - Blend (See below.)
Nutes - Meigs Fertilizer (Liquid)

Transplant.jpg

PH in all but the CycoMix is at about 6.25. PH in that is abysmally low at 4.2ish. Pretty sure that is a result of the biochar I added. Picked up some lime to raise PH. Which should, as things are going, make things worse. Ha!

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_113837.jpg
    IMG_20200607_113837.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 36
I mean I gave them 25% of the suggested dose. Which nutrient calculator are you using? Still trying to figure out how those are useful...

It’s one I put together. I find it useful to see what the elemental ppms are for a given dose or a mix of various fertilizers. If you’re interested, I can plug the numbers in for you.

Nice update. The up-pot was very timely.
:thumb:

Hi, Nitrogen deficiency? Lower leaves are yellowing and looking like they're falling off. Im just a noobz, well thats my name :laugh: but could others like you say, phos or overwatering, hot soil. Did you mix your own soil?

The
Hi, Nitrogen deficiency? Lower leaves are yellowing and looking like they're falling off. Im just a noobz, well thats my name :laugh: but could others like you say, phos or overwatering, hot soil. Did you mix your own soil?
Seedlings were originally potted in Fox Farm 'Light Warrior' which is their absolute mildest soil blend. It is most likely a combination of deficiencies resulting from being in light warrior for too long. I think they were in that dirt for approximately two weeks? They just had their first dose of nutrients this Sunday at transplant. Also, if you read up a couple replies, my soil schedule and such is listed for this grow. Thanks for checking in! I'm a complete noob myself.

Thanks for the image! Now I know that it’s general hunger, with N def showing, as nooby indicated. If you are giving 1/2 tablespoon (25% of the top end recommended), that only provides:

4 ppm N
0 P
10 K
1 Ca
0 Mg

If I were to use this particular fertilizer, I would have to mix 12 tablespoons (180g) in a gallon just to get 100 ppm N - what you probably should be providing - and there still would be zero P.

Can you get anything else, like MegaCrop?

Thanks for the image! Now I know that it’s general hunger, with N def showing, as nooby indicated. If you are giving 1/2 tablespoon (25% of the top end recommended), that only provides:

4 ppm N
0 P
10 K
1 Ca
0 Mg

If I were to use this particular fertilizer, I would have to mix 12 tablespoons (180g) in a gallon just to get 100 ppm N - what you probably should be providing - and there still would be zero P.

Can you get anything else, like MegaCrop?
Oh you're a megacrop grower huh? I've read all the good posts! Ha! Thanks for plugging that in to your calculator. That's pretty slick. I can see how it's useful to have some idea of the ppm going in even if not growing strictly hydro. Can you point me in the direction of a pre-made calculate that I can plug the rest of my nutrients in?

After the initial nutrients are used in the Light Warrior, you are basically doing a simple version of hydro called drain-to-waste (DTW). The only difference is in the medium. Yours will have less drainage than, say 100% perlite, due to the fine particles of peat in LW.

To me, growing in soil means a living soil with active microbial life feeding the plant. I have difficulty keeping the herd alive in an outdoor container, so I only have LOS in the beds. In containers, I now do 100% perlite hempy.

No, sorry - I haven’t had to look for one for a while. What else do you want to add?
Wow! Uncalled for generosity! Thank you! If you wanna call this a collaboration so you can fill in your database, I'm happy to send!

Here's my answer to megacrop (or at least a simpler regimen):

IMG_20200609_160847.jpg

IMG_20200609_160853.jpg

I also have Meigs Ferts liquid line if you wanna input that. The Mothers Helper you just ran is a part of that one. And if you're feeling real collaborative, I've got a pretty good line up of Roots Organics starting with their Buddha Grow and Bloom. Pretty sure I can find Fox Farms ppm already on-line. :rofl:

The Meigs Formula One at 8g/gal provides:

110 ppm N
40 ppm P

53 K
232 Ca

26 Mg
10.3 Fe

Too low in K, and way too high in Ca and Fe :oops:

The Meigs Formula Two at 12g/gal provides:

94 ppm N
74 P
184 K

468 Ca
71 Mg
17.4 Fe

Way too high (extremely) in Ca and Fe! o_O

I have to say that I don’t think very highly of either. I wish I knew what the fertilizer designer was thinking! :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom