Illinois Legislature Could Legalize Medical Marijuana Friday

The state legislature is slated today to vote on a bill that would legalize medical marijuana.

Citing medical research showing marijuana effectively treats pain, nausea and other symptoms of various debilitating medical conditions, the bill would allow people to legally possess marijuana if their physicians diagnose them with debilitating medical conditions. The act considers a variety of conditions to be debilitating, including cancer, AIDS, hepatitis C and conditions causing pain or nausea that are unresponsive to other treatments.

Federal law still prohibits possession of marijuana, medical or not. However, the act would virtually protect medical marijuana users because states are not required to arrest or prosecute people for violating federal laws, according to the bill.

The bill is only meant as a pilot program and automatically repeals itself three years after it comes into effect, according to the bill.

Sen. Jeff Schoenberg, D-9th. and state Rep. Robyn Gabel, D-18th, are sponsors of the bill, according to the Illinois General Assembly website.

The state senate has already approved the bill. The governor must sign it before it becomes law.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The Daily Northwestern
Author: Chris Kirk
Copyright: 2010 The Daily Northwestern

im keeping my fingers crossed :)

5/28/2010 SB 1381 HouseRule 19(a) / Re-referred to Rules Committee

what this means is that ILLINOIS senate did NOT vote on the bill for medical cannabis.

they also did not approve the budget for Illinois.

The bill is NOT DEAD, but since it was re-referred back to the Rules Committee, the bill will not be brought up again until the next session later this year hopefully or early next year.

I'm very disappointed to say the least.
In my mind Illinois should have approved this long ago.

Here's my post from friday. The bill was NOT voted on.
Illinois will have to wait until session is back in oct/nov

Back
Top Bottom