Illinois: Medical Marijuana Dispensary Addresses Public

Jacob Redmond

Ben Rediger spearheaded an effort to bring a medical marijuana dispensary to Peoria.

"Peoria was chosen because it's my hometown. I believe in it. I grew up here," says Rediger, the Patient Education and Community Organizing Director at Trinity Compassionate Care Center.

Now he's celebrating its pending arrival with like-minded advocates, including Connie Milburn at the Epilepsy Foundation North/Central Iowa and Nebraska.

"I work with lots and lots of kids and they're on lots of medications. And this would just be another alternative for them," she says.

It's a necessary alternative for Angie Alcantara. Her daughter, Carmen, takes 5,000 milligrams of medicine a day to fight her epilepsy

"The amount of medication that she's on, we worry so much what it's doing to her body," she says. "We're hopeful that if Carmen does fail another drug, I have this other option that I may not have had before."

The hope for Trinity Compassionate Care Center is they will open their doors in late July, early August, bringing in patients for the first time.

But there's plenty of work to be done, such as basic things like putting in new carpet and polishing off interior painting.

Then there's the big question about security.

"We will have double door security. There will be patient education areas, and a place to acquire medicine," says Rediger.

Rediger says the biggest challenge is earning the trust of the community. One of the questions he's used to answering is about the accessibility of the drug.

"You need to have a physician's recommendation with a physician you have an existing relationship with. You have to have one of the 40 specific qualifying conditions to be eligible for the medicine. Patients have to go through a rigorous application," he says, describing the process.

Rediger says only patients and qualified nurses will be allowed in the center.

His team will speak to doctors and business owners, hoping to make them more accepting of the drug.

They will provide medical marijuana in oil, pill, vapor and whole plant form.

The dispensary is located on University Street in Peoria. The other dispensary to earn a license in the Peoria area will be in the Fondulac Plaza Shopping Center in East Peoria.

medjars.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Marijuana Dispensary Addresses Public - CIProud
Author: Web Staff
Photo Credit: Don Ryan

Back
Top Bottom