Illinois Medical Marijuana Law Into Effect

The General

Legislation adopted this year to establish a state-regulated medical marijuana program will go into effect Wednesday. Licensed medical marijuana cultivation and distribution facilities are expected to begin producing medical marijuana and providing it to patients in late 2014. Patients with qualifying medical conditions will NOT be protected from arrest until the Department of Public Health has established the patient registry and approved their individual applications to the program. "We hope state officials will work swiftly to ensure seriously ill patients no longer face legal penalties for using medical marijuana," said Chris Lindsey, a legislative analyst for the Marijuana Policy Project. "Illinois patients and their families have already waited long enough."

The Illinois Medical Cannabis Pilot Program (MCPP) will require coordination by three state agencies. The Department of Public Health will oversee the creation and management of the state's medical marijuana patient registry; the Department of Agriculture will regulate medical marijuana cultivation facilities; and the Department of Financial and Professional Responsibilities will regulate medical marijuana dispensaries. These agencies will have 120 days from January 1 to develop rules for the program and file them with the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules, a bipartisan legislative oversight committee that will review the rules and conduct a public comment period. The process is expected to take approximately 3-4 months. The state has created a website for the program at Medical Cannabis Pilot Program : Welcome.

"Illinois is on the right track, but it is critical that state agencies implement the program within the next few months," Lindsey said. "States with similar laws have implemented them much quicker. "Once this system is in place, seriously ill people who benefit from medical marijuana will finally have legal and reliable access to their medicine." Gov. Pat Quinn signed the medical marijuana legislation into law on August 1, making Illinois the 20th state in the nation (in addition to the District of Columbia) to adopt a law allowing people with serious illnesses to use medical marijuana if their doctors recommend it. The bill was endorsed by the Illinois Nurses Association and the Illinois State Bar Association, and more than 270 doctors from across the state signed on to a statement in support of safe access to medical marijuana for patients with serious illnesses.

Medical_Cannabis25.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Shelbyvilledailyunion.com
Author: Shelbyville Daily Union
Website: Illinois medical marijuana law into effect » Local News » Shelbyville Daily Union

i've been following our bill for over two years, and since it passed the House 4/17/13 and the Senate 5/17/13 and was signed 8/1/13, this may seem a strange question, but why do we have this waiting period for our Canna-Cards and Medication ? my common sense tells me, that the exact minute our law went into affect; all shops (60 i believe) should have been open to all patients, so they could purchase their medication ! is my thinking/reasoning wrong ? if memory serves, there are three agencies who to get together and write the "rules" for the dispensing etc. why haven't they done this before now ? i feel that valuable time for all patients is being wasted ! at the present; we have a "short-list" of diseases/dis-orders that will be covered, however, new diseases/dis-orders can be added at any time.

i'm a patient, with some severe problems, but i worry more about all patients with diseases/dis-orders worse than mine ! thank you for letting me get this off of my chest !

Back
Top Bottom