Illinois - Residents May Apply For Medical Marijuana

The General

The state of Illinois is taking another big step in medical marijuana this week. Tuesday is the first day residents can apply for a medical marijuana card. Noel Carter is a mother of a four-year-old boy and engaged to be married. She suffers from Fibromyalgia and depression and is hoping with medical marijuana she can give her son the childhood he deserves. Right now her life as a mom and fiancée is plagued with prescriptions.

"The Fibromyalgia, it makes it to where it's hard to function there's just a lot of pain and it makes you have exhaustion," Carter said. She suffered from the painful disease for eight years along with depression and doesn't like to rely on medications to get her through, for fear of addiction. "I have to kind of have that mom power and the adrenaline to keep up with my child to help keep going because I know he needs me to be the best mom I can be," she said.

Now, as a resident of Illinois, she will be able to apply for a medical marijuana. Listed on the Illinois Department of Public Health's website is a list of conditions that make a patient eligible. Fibromyalgia is listed, but not depression. "I'm definitely not the worst case out there, there's so many people suffering from cancer and HIV that this can be so beneficial and let them live their lives," she said.

The application is not yet posted on the state's website nor are the requirements necessary to apply. All of that will be up Tuesday morning for residents. Carter says there may be red tape to go through but it's worth it. "It's going to be a long process and you have to go through your different doctor and get different documentations and proof," says Carter. If she's not approved, she says she will continue on with her life the way it is.

Tuesday September 2, 2014 residents with last names starting with letters A - L can apply. Then on November 1, 2014 all other residents last names M - Z can apply. It will take about 45 days to get your card or be denied, but don't forget dispensaries and cultivation centers still aren't open.

Joints4.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Ksdk.com
Author: Elizabeth Matthews

Back
Top Bottom