Illinois: State Approves Another Medical Marijuana Dispensary

Jacob Redmond

Governor Bruce Rauner this week approved a medical marijuana dispensary for Healthway Services of West Illinois LLC, which is expected to open in St. Charles.

Company manager Irina Zhukovsky said the dispensary has 120 days to complete a rigorous state registration process before it can officially open. But she expects the dispensary will stay dormant for a few months before it can start operating, because it will be several months before state-approved cultivators can begin supplying medical marijuana products.

It also remains unclear where cultivators will legally obtain the plant's seeds.

"It is a very serious matter, so it will require lots of planning and lengthy conversations to make sure we have everything we need to serve our patients," said Zhukovsky, an administrator at United Medical Care in Skokie. "It is all very new, but it is a miracle we got something with all the competition."

Zhukovsky, a resident of Deerfield, moved to the United States from Siberia almost 20 years ago. She became interested in the idea of opening a dispensary when several of her patients began inquiring into cannabis treatment. Zhukovsky said she worked with a consultant to research statutes and applied for a dispensary in St. Charles, where she knew of patient demand for medical pot.

She said she has locked in a location in St. Charles, although Rita Tungare, St. Charles' community and economic development director, said the dispensary has yet to reach out to the city for a building permit.

The dispensary would need to be within the city's manufacturing district, Tungare said. St. Charles last year adopted a zoning ordinance to restrict dispensaries to the district.

The state this week cleared 18 cultivation centers to begin growing medicinal marijuana, with three additional applications undergoing further review. Final approval for the centers will require the business to pay all related fees, train employees and submit a business plan for running the facility.

A total of 53 companies were authorized to open dispensaries to sell the drug once it's grown and harvested. Five companies await additional review.

State law prohibits dispensaries from being within 1,000 feet of schools, child care facilities or group homes. They also cannot be in an area zoned for residential use. St. Charles has a limited number of properties in the district that meet those state requirements, according to a staff analysis.

Zhukovsky envisions the dispensary to be rather small, with a staff of only two to three people working at a time. High-tech security measures will be installed at the dispensary, which will be designed to blend into the neighborhood and "look the same as any other business," she said.

The dispensary will provide treatment for patients suffering from diseases such as cancer, HIV, spinal cord disease and multiple sclerosis, among several others. There will be educational videos and handouts for patients on cannabis treatment as well.

Zhukovsky predicts several of her own patients from Skokie will register with the dispensary.

"There is a long list of patients taking dangerous drugs for their conditions, when they can be treated with medical cannabis, which is an herb," she said. "I really believe in this. I care about my patients like I would care about my mother."

tumblr_n16d1g4clq1ttp1j7o1_500.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: State approves medical marijuana dispensary in St. Charles - Chicago Tribune
Author: Marwa Eltagouri
Photo Credit: None Found
Website: Chicago Tribune: Chicago breaking news, sports, business, entertainment, weather and traffic - Chicago Tribune

Back
Top Bottom