I'm blessed to be a part of the community that will help me grow in every way

My first 2 true sets of leaves are out. Can I start week 1 veg ?

• Total voters

Cultivator Disciple

Hi everyone,

Today is a happy day as I have finally created my profile on 420 magazine. I'm new to growing and have been researching many different forums on the web and definitely came up with the conclusion that this is by far the most reliable and safe place to be (safe as in, you won't get insulted and treated like a dumbie for asking beginner questions). I am an ocasional smoker of medicinal marihuana that help with my bipolarity diagnosis. I just started my first grow ever which happens to be in coco. I am at day 11 and the 5 girls are looking happy although I had started with long stretched seedlings due to the fact that I had put them under a 24w T5 bulb in a dome and they were about 30cm (12 inches) away from the bulb which I later on discovered was way too high (should have been like 5 cm (2 inches) away from the bulb. Anyways I waited for the 0,5 liter (16oz) pots to dry a little and at day 10 decided to remove most of the coco in the pot and just keep a little that was attached to the small beginning roots and repot them in a 4 liter (1 Galon) fabric pot. By the way on day 1 I had watered my pot with just plain water at 5.8 PH with RO water and added great white into my coco medium. I planted them according to the moon (found a great moon calendar for cannabis growing on internet) and just 2 days after they had allready all sprouted above ground. I also give them 3 hours a day of classical music which they seem to be much enjoying. To finish this introduction I really hope I will get to chat with my Guru @Cultivator who really has me amazed with the pictures of his coco grown buds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome mate. Good luck and im sure you will get there in no time. Just 1 thing to remember, coco is hydroponic medium and should be treat as such. You must feed nutrients everyday from day 1 and never plain water until the very end as this will cause problems in the media.

Hey Cult,

Today I ran into a big problem : ( Ok so it is day 11 from seed and I decided to feed nutes for the first time (I saw your message saying that I need to feed nutes from day 1 with seeds) and when I checked the EC run off it was at 5.6 !!! (I decided to do a test of my coco medium which is the DNA ultimate coco with cork and check the run off just on it's own and that was at 1.4 EC)! My solution going in was at 1.1 EC though ! which included 0.3 Mills CalMag, 0.1 Canna's Rhizotonic and 0.7 Canna's Coco A&B. So what I did was run off about 2.5 liters of RO water and completely forgot to PH it to 5.8 and gave it a 7.5 PH flush and now I see white veins appeared through the middle of my leafs. I also must tell you that I had transplanted my 6 Barney's farm Blue cheese feminized regulars from my 0.5 liter (16 oz) pots to my 3.8 liter (1 gallon) smart fabric pots because they were too stretched out as I had started them under a 24W T5 bulb that was 30cm above the pots which was way too high as I read 5cm was the recommended distance. I also must admit that it wasn't a neat well rooted transplant but more of a hurry up transplant because I was scared these long stems will fall down so the root base was not there at all. I just took the 0.5 liter pots and brushed off most of the coco medium from it and was left with a little bit of coco that was stuck to the couple of roots and shoved them in the 1 gallon pots. After todays hectic adventures I would like to ask you a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) I'm only at day 11 and still have blue cheese seeds, so if you were me would you restart it all and just kill my current plants ?

2) I'm running a 4x4x8 (120cmx120cmx240cm) tent. I want to have the less hassle possible therefore how many plants would you recommend ? I was thinking of 5. What's your word on that ?

3) Why on earth did my run off come out to be 5.6 EC knowing that I've never fed more than 1.1 EC ?

4) Should I water my coco medium and fluff it out out so there are no lumps ? Run off should come at 0 EC right ?

5) I have 1 gallon (3.8 liters), 3 gallons (11.4 liter) and 5 gallon (19 liter) smart pots and also 16 oz (0.5 liter) square plastic pots. What would be your easiest solution for growing ? Plant in 0.5 liters (16oz) and then transplant to 5 gallons (19 liter) ?

6) I was thinking of vegging for 4 weeks and then flower for 8 weeks. From seed when does day 1 of veg start ?

7) What’s your ec for seedlings, veg and flower because Canna gives 8 different feeding schedules throughout the grow which makes it more complicated to understand things for a beginner.

8) You say to feed nuts from day 1 ? Does that mean when I sow my seed in the coco medium ?

9) Is 60 humidity in seedling, 50 in veg and 40 in flower ok ? Also temperatures of 25 in day and 20 at night good ?

10) Do you blow wind on them 24 hours a day since day 1 ? I put a timer blowing 30 minutes every 2 hours. Is that ok ? Because when I have the fan blowing on them it lowers my humidity level and my humidifier is then running 24/7

11) Would you start seedlings under my dome and my 24WT5 bulb or directly under my Kind Led XL750 without the dome ?

Wow that actually was more than a couple of questions ! I would much appreciate if you can help me out with my questions : )

Have a great evening !

I was unable to view the photos. The message I got was "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action. " Is this because I am new?

Hey Cult,

Today I ran into a big problem : ( Ok so it is day 11 from seed and I decided to feed nutes for the first time (I saw your message saying that I need to feed nutes from day 1 with seeds) and when I checked the EC run off it was at 5.6 !!! (I decided to do a test of my coco medium which is the DNA ultimate coco with cork and check the run off just on it's own and that was at 1.4 EC)! My solution going in was at 1.1 EC though ! which included 0.3 Mills CalMag, 0.1 Canna's Rhizotonic and 0.7 Canna's Coco A&B. So what I did was run off about 2.5 liters of RO water and completely forgot to PH it to 5.8 and gave it a 7.5 PH flush and now I see white veins appeared through the middle of my leafs. I also must tell you that I had transplanted my 6 Barney's farm Blue cheese feminized regulars from my 0.5 liter (16 oz) pots to my 3.8 liter (1 gallon) smart fabric pots because they were too stretched out as I had started them under a 24W T5 bulb that was 30cm above the pots which was way too high as I read 5cm was the recommended distance. I also must admit that it wasn't a neat well rooted transplant but more of a hurry up transplant because I was scared these long stems will fall down so the root base was not there at all. I just took the 0.5 liter pots and brushed off most of the coco medium from it and was left with a little bit of coco that was stuck to the couple of roots and shoved them in the 1 gallon pots. After todays hectic adventures I would like to ask you a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) I'm only at day 11 and still have blue cheese seeds, so if you were me would you restart it all and just kill my current plants ?

2) I'm running a 4x4x8 (120cmx120cmx240cm) tent. I want to have the less hassle possible therefore how many plants would you recommend ? I was thinking of 5. What's your word on that ?

3) Why on earth did my run off come out to be 5.6 EC knowing that I've never fed more than 1.1 EC ?

4) Should I water my coco medium and fluff it out out so there are no lumps ? Run off should come at 0 EC right ?

5) I have 1 gallon (3.8 liters), 3 gallons (11.4 liter) and 5 gallon (19 liter) smart pots and also 16 oz (0.5 liter) square plastic pots. What would be your easiest solution for growing ? Plant in 0.5 liters (16oz) and then transplant to 5 gallons (19 liter) ?

6) I was thinking of vegging for 4 weeks and then flower for 8 weeks. From seed when does day 1 of veg start ?

7) What’s your ec for seedlings, veg and flower because Canna gives 8 different feeding schedules throughout the grow which makes it more complicated to understand things for a beginner.

8) You say to feed nuts from day 1 ? Does that mean when I sow my seed in the coco medium ?

9) Is 60 humidity in seedling, 50 in veg and 40 in flower ok ? Also temperatures of 25 in day and 20 at night good ?

10) Do you blow wind on them 24 hours a day since day 1 ? I put a timer blowing 30 minutes every 2 hours. Is that ok ? Because when I have the fan blowing on them it lowers my humidity level and my humidifier is then running 24/7

11) Would you start seedlings under my dome and my 24WT5 bulb or directly under my Kind Led XL750 without the dome ?

Wow that actually was more than a couple of questions ! I would much appreciate if you can help me out with my questions : )

Have a great evening !
Hello Cult,

I too grow in Coco and might be able to answer some questions. Coco medium is easy to grow in if you start right. Most of the brands have a lot of salt in them. Companies rinse in salt water and much id left in the medium. Canna brand is the only one I've used that didn't have to be rinsed before using. I still rinse mine in a muslin bag, soak in pHed water, rinse and squeeze. Strain the water to capture the little bits of coco and repeat many times. Starting right makes everything easier. I also do a similar flush 3 - 4 times during a grow. If you have your area setup well you can put drip pans under your plants and let 10% - 15% run through and you never have to worry about runoff pH levels. A little more advanced but worth looking into if you are going to grow often.

1. Don't kill your plants! If they became leggy just bury the stem in the pot so they will be more stable. I brush my buried stems with some cloning gel and the stems will sprout roots and help stabilize the plant. It's the same technique tomato growers use to get a bigger root ball.

2. I'm currently running 6 strains in a 5x5x8 tent I have 11 plants total. A lot has to do with arrangement of the pots and how you train them. I'd go minimum 6 5gal and 2 3 gal. fill in your space for a bigger yield. Training and proper pruning is the key to a good harvest!

3. The salt in the product most likely.

4. EC doesn't have to be 0. I use compressed coco and water to expand it. Using Canna Coco I can add Fox Farm Bloom to the water and some cal-mag. Bloom has natural ingredients and won't burn seedlings. Just a suggestion. I always say, My grow - My circus. I just am making suggestions.

5. The thing I've found with roots after studying Dr. Carl Whitcomb's papers about the roots of Crepe Myrtles you want the biggest pot possible for the roots to expand and give you the largest, healthy plants. With weed there is one more factor growing in a tent, you have to manage the size of the plants strain by strain. Keeping meticulous notes helps, (my current grow journal is over 180 pages in Microsoft Word), with the followup grows of the strains you grow. I use Jiffy pots until the root show through the bottom, then a rooting pot invented by Whitcomb to start my plants. They don't allow the roots to circle the pot. I then move up to a 1 gallon plastic pot for a few weeks. I never want the roots to circle, check them often because roots grow fast during this stage. Then they go to the pot the plants will be harvested in. water nearer the outside of the pot so the root have to seek out water. Don't make it easy for them. One other thing, coco does not need perlite or any other additives. You will get a little bit bigger yield.

6. I normally veg for at least 6 weeks sometimes up to 8 depending on the strain. A more mature plant from veg produces bigger yields. Do close to how nature does it and your plants will be happier. Day one usually starts when the first true leaves come on.

7. This one is where some research needs to be done, it's not a cut and dry answer. I have strains that like nutrients as much as you can give them, (Maui Waui, GigaBud and Big Nugs Fast), and they drink water like camels. Then I have some that are very picky about nutrients and water, (Double Black (Black Dominia), Ayahuasca Purple and Blueberry (in flower stage)). I just do a search on Duck, duck, go and read, read read and add any research to the grow journal.

8. Yes, very low to start. the early roots are very vulnerable to burning. I use PPM not EC. Every strain is different once again. I have strains that were sitting in a salty nutrient soup over 3000ppm and growing like craze. My Maui Waui was growing 2 inches a day about a week into flower. It stretches from 12 inches to 38 inches in 2 weeks. Some don't like it over 1200 ppm. Reasearch and document, when my plants get more mature I push the nutrients until I see a little bit of tip burn, I flush for a day and then back the nutrients off about 200 ppm. That's for my circus. Everyone does it different. You ask ten people you'll get 10 answers. Yes, it is complicated. That's why keeping a journal with a lot of pictures and writing down your nutrients, amount of each one, the pH after each one and the EC for you will help set up patterns and you can see how much each nutrient moves the EC level of the water. Things happen quickly in coco it's like growing in hydro. Don't follow soil recommendations follow hydro charts only!!! Underwatering and lower nutrients are better, new growers go crazy thinking more is better. Watch your plants they will tell you when they need something. With feeding start at 10% solution at the begining and slowly work your way up. Vigorous growth use more, when the slow down at the change over between veg and flower slow down a bit and let them gather themselves.

9. Humidity levels contribute to healthy plants and in general nutrient uptake. I keep seedlings about 80% RH (Relative Humidity) then I keep between 55% - 60% in veg until the plants are ready to train ( I top and lst for training) then more it closer to 50%. When I flip to 12/12 I wait to see the white hair show up and move the humidity to 45% - 50%.

10. I start my fans at week 2 on low, just enough to move them a little. Mostly over the tops. I have 2 6inch fans in the corners and blow them on fast by the time I get to flower. Air movement mimics nature. The plants put more eenergy into moving plants due to there nature on spreading pollen. Many studies about this subject.

11. At least 2 weeks under the dome or until the first side shoots get 1 node. Then move under the led with the blue light on only. When I start training my plants I flip the flower light on too. I do 20/4 for seedlings, 18/6 in veg and 12/12 for flower. Start the LED at 36 - 40 inches above the plants and move down about every 3 days or so until you get to 24 inches. In flower take it down to 18 inches at the most. Watch the light height when you flip to flower these things grow faster than you think sometimes!

I know that is a long winded set of answers but just wanted to share my experience. From my circus jungle to yours!

ES

Hello Cult,

I too grow in Coco and might be able to answer some questions. Coco medium is easy to grow in if you start right. Most of the brands have a lot of salt in them. Companies rinse in salt water and much id left in the medium. Canna brand is the only one I've used that didn't have to be rinsed before using. I still rinse mine in a muslin bag, soak in pHed water, rinse and squeeze. Strain the water to capture the little bits of coco and repeat many times. Starting right makes everything easier. I also do a similar flush 3 - 4 times during a grow. If you have your area setup well you can put drip pans under your plants and let 10% - 15% run through and you never have to worry about runoff pH levels. A little more advanced but worth looking into if you are going to grow often.

1. Don't kill your plants! If they became leggy just bury the stem in the pot so they will be more stable. I brush my buried stems with some cloning gel and the stems will sprout roots and help stabilize the plant. It's the same technique tomato growers use to get a bigger root ball.

2. I'm currently running 6 strains in a 5x5x8 tent I have 11 plants total. A lot has to do with arrangement of the pots and how you train them. I'd go minimum 6 5gal and 2 3 gal. fill in your space for a bigger yield. Training and proper pruning is the key to a good harvest!

3. The salt in the product most likely.

4. EC doesn't have to be 0. I use compressed coco and water to expand it. Using Canna Coco I can add Fox Farm Bloom to the water and some cal-mag. Bloom has natural ingredients and won't burn seedlings. Just a suggestion. I always say, My grow - My circus. I just am making suggestions.

5. The thing I've found with roots after studying Dr. Carl Whitcomb's papers about the roots of Crepe Myrtles you want the biggest pot possible for the roots to expand and give you the largest, healthy plants. With weed there is one more factor growing in a tent, you have to manage the size of the plants strain by strain. Keeping meticulous notes helps, (my current grow journal is over 180 pages in Microsoft Word), with the followup grows of the strains you grow. I use Jiffy pots until the root show through the bottom, then a rooting pot invented by Whitcomb to start my plants. They don't allow the roots to circle the pot. I then move up to a 1 gallon plastic pot for a few weeks. I never want the roots to circle, check them often because roots grow fast during this stage. Then they go to the pot the plants will be harvested in. water nearer the outside of the pot so the root have to seek out water. Don't make it easy for them. One other thing, coco does not need perlite or any other additives. You will get a little bit bigger yield.

6. I normally veg for at least 6 weeks sometimes up to 8 depending on the strain. A more mature plant from veg produces bigger yields. Do close to how nature does it and your plants will be happier. Day one usually starts when the first true leaves come on.

7. This one is where some research needs to be done, it's not a cut and dry answer. I have strains that like nutrients as much as you can give them, (Maui Waui, GigaBud and Big Nugs Fast), and they drink water like camels. Then I have some that are very picky about nutrients and water, (Double Black (Black Dominia), Ayahuasca Purple and Blueberry (in flower stage)). I just do a search on Duck, duck, go and read, read read and add any research to the grow journal.

8. Yes, very low to start. the early roots are very vulnerable to burning. I use PPM not EC. Every strain is different once again. I have strains that were sitting in a salty nutrient soup over 3000ppm and growing like craze. My Maui Waui was growing 2 inches a day about a week into flower. It stretches from 12 inches to 38 inches in 2 weeks. Some don't like it over 1200 ppm. Reasearch and document, when my plants get more mature I push the nutrients until I see a little bit of tip burn, I flush for a day and then back the nutrients off about 200 ppm. That's for my circus. Everyone does it different. You ask ten people you'll get 10 answers. Yes, it is complicated. That's why keeping a journal with a lot of pictures and writing down your nutrients, amount of each one, the pH after each one and the EC for you will help set up patterns and you can see how much each nutrient moves the EC level of the water. Things happen quickly in coco it's like growing in hydro. Don't follow soil recommendations follow hydro charts only!!! Underwatering and lower nutrients are better, new growers go crazy thinking more is better. Watch your plants they will tell you when they need something. With feeding start at 10% solution at the begining and slowly work your way up. Vigorous growth use more, when the slow down at the change over between veg and flower slow down a bit and let them gather themselves.

9. Humidity levels contribute to healthy plants and in general nutrient uptake. I keep seedlings about 80% RH (Relative Humidity) then I keep between 55% - 60% in veg until the plants are ready to train ( I top and lst for training) then more it closer to 50%. When I flip to 12/12 I wait to see the white hair show up and move the humidity to 45% - 50%.

10. I start my fans at week 2 on low, just enough to move them a little. Mostly over the tops. I have 2 6inch fans in the corners and blow them on fast by the time I get to flower. Air movement mimics nature. The plants put more eenergy into moving plants due to there nature on spreading pollen. Many studies about this subject.

11. At least 2 weeks under the dome or until the first side shoots get 1 node. Then move under the led with the blue light on only. When I start training my plants I flip the flower light on too. I do 20/4 for seedlings, 18/6 in veg and 12/12 for flower. Start the LED at 36 - 40 inches above the plants and move down about every 3 days or so until you get to 24 inches. In flower take it down to 18 inches at the most. Watch the light height when you flip to flower these things grow faster than you think sometimes!

I know that is a long winded set of answers but just wanted to share my experience. From my circus jungle to yours!

ES
Hello Shaman ! Thanx a million times for your precious help and long message !!!!!!! Much respect to you for taking the time to help a newbie : ) ✌✌✌✌✌✌✌

10,000 cool points to Shaman for the help provided and the tips....

Also, don't be shy @Cultivator Disciple . Visit journals and ask questions. We like to tout like we know something when most of us are flying by the seat of our pants. We do it so much it becomes normal.

You will find there are a few journals that just run off the rails and can get into some strange discussions.

Hope you browse around and become part of the group.....

Also, don't be shy @Cultivator Disciple . Visit journals and ask questions. We like to tout like we know something when most of us are flying by the seat of our pants. We do it so much it becomes normal.

You will find there are a few journals that just run off the rails and can get into some strange discussions.

Hope you browse around and become part of the group.....
Sure will brother ! Thanx a lot for making newbies welcome : )

Sure will brother ! Thanx a lot for making newbies welcome : )
It's just part of doing what I do.....

It's nice to be part of a group, and it is easier if you feel welcomed. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom