I'm fairly new to making cannabutter, have any suggestions?

Ibspot

I started making cannabutter mid summer last yr after being diagnosed with moderate to severe emphysema. Too many yrs under a welding hood to thank for that. I'm currently making butter with whatever buds I can get from a long time friend. He always has the best around. Living in Oklahoma, medical cannabis was passed in June of last yr, so I can't go to a dispensary and know what I'm getting. Not yet any way but that day is soon coming.

I bought a decarboxylator off of ebay after trying to use a toaster oven a couple of times. I decarb 3 gr of buds at a time for a small batch. I use 2 oz of salted Land of Lakes butter as I read it has a higher burn point than unsalted. I use a crock pot set on "keep warm" (so it doesn't get too hot). I have a small mason jar I put the mix in and put it in the crock pot with enuff water to cover the jar half way, and let it cook for 3 hrs.

It comes out pretty good I think but its the only butter I've ever had so who really knows. My usual dose is 1/2 teaspoon in the morning, same early afternoon. As long as its not a stressful day, the dose in the morning gets me by all day.

One of my questions is : Is there a better formula (if you will) of 3 gr of buds to 2 oz of butter? I wish I knew the thc content of my buds but that will have to wait I guess. So far, I have tried several strains : Gorilla GLue, Candyland and Sour Diesel.

Another thing is this. It seems the butter has the opposite effect of smoking it. By that I mean, its like the indica boots me up and the sativa parks my butt on the couch. Is it just me or am I more stoned that I realized? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Decarboxylator sounds like a fancy word for oven. :ganjamon:

I use my butter for baking mostly so unsalted is a must. I use 1-1.5 oz of trim to each lbs of butter. I really try to stress to people, ignore those thc/CBD test percentages unless you have very specific needs. Thc scores don’t mean shit in terms of quality. My trim makes fantastic butter, and I rarely ever decarb unless I’m using very fresh material. But back to choosing the right meds and thc ratings. Who cares. Follow your nose for quality, not a number. For example, if one has a favorite beer, does one really care if the abv is 5.2 or 5.9? Would that really change the way you feel after drinking a few?

Edible highs are different. Take too little, feel little. Take too much, lights out and you may still be high when you wake up. Find your sweet spot and you feel good for hours without that super stoned feeling that smoking gives you.

I didn't mean to sound stupid, I'm sorry. Thanks for the suggestions. Like I said, the dispensaries are just now starting to get some buds in, and getting seeds to grow isn't as easy as you would think. In the videos I watched on youtube to get an idea of what to do or try, they all mentioned "top shelf" buds or buds, trim from what they are growing. I'm afraid it ain't that easy or simple here yet. I didn't know if 1/2 teaspoon is considered weak or not, should I use more buds, etc. Thanks again, I'l keep experimenting.

You don’t sound stupid. Im A bit of a clown and to be ignored at times. But my experience is good! :laugh:

If you’re using good quality bud, 1/4oz to 1 stick of butter will get you some really strong butter. What size dosage is subjective. With edibles, like you probably already guessed, you start your dosage low and work your way up until you find that sweet zone. There is no exact dosage because some people need more than others. For example, I make really strange brownies out of the box and then get over a dozen made. I can eat a whole one and feel great for hours. My wife on the other hand has much lower tolerance. So she will literally just eat one bite and feel amazing herself. That’s why it’s hard to give an exact answer. I hope this helps more than my smart ass answer. :passitleft:

when I made butter, ( twice now ) I used a spice grinder on about 35 grams. I put it on tin foil in the oven at 240 for 10 minutes. Stirred it up and gave it another 10 mins. I then took a pound of salted butter, Two cups water and the decarbed cannabis and put it in a slow cooker on LOW for 12 hours. Stirring every 3 hours. I then strained the heck out of it and fridged it. Once solidified I separated the butter from the water. Used a choc chip recipe and added some extra items like skorbits, m+m's, raisins and craisins Soak the last two in water first then strain. Helps the cookie retain moisture. I got 140 cookies and each is vey nicely dosed although I can't even estimate the %.

I myself, do not use water anymore. I simply grind up the buds, decarb in the oven for 30 minutes @ 250F, in the meanwhile I'm melting the butter in a small sauce pot, low heat, I add a TSP to a TBL (per weed amount) of Lecithin, we love sunflower lecithin, as weed is done decarbing, add it into melting butter.
I found the sweet spot on the dial, to give the element under my pan just enough heat to bubble my mixture, [NOT BOILING] just a wee simmer, and let it simmer for a few hours.
We,once upon a time, seperated the weed from the butter, but we found a FAR better medicinal result leaving the matter in.
When I infuse Olive Oil, I put the weed/oil/lecithin, in a Mason jar, set that into a water bath, put a trivet in the pan and place the closed up jar on that, water is about 3/4 up the side of the Mason,set the heat element on lower setting, until you find that sweet spot to keep the water around 160-180F for about 3-4 hours, some go even longer.
We do separate the matter, saving it in the refrigerator, and adding into meals we are making, TBL or so at a time .
Try and use the best quality of Olive oil you can afford. We ingest between a TSP to TBL of oil per dose.
There are many many ways to make butter/coconut oil/olive oil extractions/infusions.
I wish the best for you all.

Back
Top Bottom