I'm going to install a grow computer in a deep freezer - Magnetic ballast questions

MattWindsor

Ok, so I purchased a grow computer.
I've been growing very nice lush plants with LED's but the grow computer says 8amps max rating
Does anyone know by chance if there is any 1000W magnetic ballasts for HPS that's under or
exactly at 8amps? Any lights someone could suggest which I could hook to the computer
that would be equal to a 1000W HPS grow light? I was thinking of spending a thousand dollars
on a name brand LED, but I'm open for suggestions.

I've had four harvest using this little computer I bought it when the creator was presenting it at
a makers demo, and loved it ever since. SO.. the idea hit me. I have a big un-used deep freezer that
still works just fine. My idea was to install this grow computer, wire it so that the computer will power on the deep freezer, and cool off the inner chamber. When it gets to 60 degree's or whatever temp I set it at. The grow computer would then turn off the deep freezer. So I need low heat lights. I was thinking of flipping small plants for big buds, and just scrogging them all... or doing a bunch of auto's in the deep freezer. Would an HPS be too hot for this application ?

Any advice would be appreciated !

Re: I'm going to install a grow computer in a deep freezer. Magnetic ballast question

awsome keep me posted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Re: I'm going to install a grow computer in a deep freezer - Magnetic ballast questio

Does anyone know by chance if there is any 1000W magnetic ballasts for HPS that's under or
exactly at 8amps?

Yes, every single one of the ones that are wired 240VAC. A lot of them were "multi-tap" and could be set up for different voltages (minor internal adjustment); therefore, even if you find one that is currently set up for 120VAC, you might be able to change its input voltage. You'd have to look at the wiring diagram (many of them had those, but were sometimes inside the metal housing) to be sure unless you can tell by looking at the ballast components and wiring.

If your setup can only power 120VAC equipment, you could probably get an appropriate relay that powered the higher voltage equipment via the correct voltage input, but used your controller's 120VAC output as the trigger voltage.

BtW... 1,000 watts @ 120VAC works out to 8.333 amps. Be aware that your electric supply at the device may not be exactly 120 volts due to losses/etc. - and as the voltage drops, the amperage increases. Also, a 1kW C&C ballast might be consuming more electricity than its rated wattage output infers; I would operate under that assumption (and probably be right the vast majority of the time, lol).

Re: I'm going to install a grow computer in a deep freezer - Magnetic ballast questio

1000w @ 110 draws 7amps constant with more on sparking, up to 9amps but i do not know any off hand ( went LED myself )

You plan on plugging this pc+deepfreeze combo into a wall plug correct? couple issues

you always want 2 amps room for surges so you don't trip breakers.

that said the main issue is the circuit, aside from the insane amount of heat HID's put out in a confined space without proper cooling, never heard of freezing a bulb cool, sounds good in theory lol

say your computer can handle 8amps, add the draw of the freezer to that, depending on size anywhere from 3-5. lets say 5 since you said big. 8 + 5 = 13. So now the computer has 13amps going through it. too much without rewiring to handle the extra current flow unless it has 14AWG wire it can't. Most house receptacles are 15amp circuits. with anywhere from 1-10 lights and switches. a 100watt light draws .83 amps. see how this is adding up very quickly to more than 15. Thus needing its own circuit. possibly with a dryer outlet at 220v that can handle 30amps. over kill buuuut

I would never load a circuit with more than 80% of its rated load, EVER, for safety.

Back
Top Bottom