I'm over-thinking, looking for some advice

Rnugg

420 Member
starting to grow on my own, since day one i knew i wanted to stay away from HPS. i was looking into amazons leds to get started then i found this forum and seen people was using QBs. for my veg space i have a 6'X6'x7' area, my bloom room the most i can do is a 10'x6'x7'.

im confident in being able to build my own but id like to get a list going of what i need that way i don't screw up anything. any and all help is very appreciated

So are u wanting to build a QB or Quantum Board light

Lots of info on here already, I know I have put a bunch

Search QB and Quantum Boards and lots will pop up including frames, wagu clips, different bds for flower and veg, everything ya need

Sound like you want energy efficient. So I would buy COB's or Quantum boards. I prefere the COBS. Havent tried the Quantums.

In cold weather I use my CMH bulb type. Not nearly as efficient but it warms the plants with infrared. Either that or waste power heating the room. In the summer I use my COB system.

When the plants are young you need a light intensity of about 300 PAR. When in flower 800 to 1000 PAR.

When the plants are young you need a light intensity of about 300 PAR. When in flower 800 to 1000 PAR.

PAR is not a unit of measurement; what is the unit of measurement for the numbers you posted? μmol per m² per second, or...?

PAR is not a unit of measurement; what is the unit of measurement for the numbers you posted? μmol per m² per second, or...?

Yes. PAR is actually umol per meter squared per second.

My CMH is actually a lot less power ful. I only have it at 800 PAR at the top of the tallest plant. Then it drops quickly as distance from the bulb increases.

MY COBS can easily burn the plants even if set cautiously low. And the PAR doesn't drop off nearly as much as you get further from the COBS.

It's a good idea to have some type of light meter. Like my prefered Hydrofarm meter. Or a LUX meter. Or a Foot candle meter. PAR is best because it measures the spectrum of light that plants use. You can use the other meters also once you establish a baseline intensity for your type of lighting.

Hopefully the rest of the family is kicking in funds now for the initial investment...if that is the case and they are serious about getting growing then you can get some QB kits ordered, assembled and you'd be in business. Both the above listed grow areas are pretty large...you could easily get 8-12 plants in each...I had (7x) 7g plants in a 4x4....tight, but workable.

Consider scaling back to start and growing out a plant for each interested party....ask them to drop $100 now and split the costs as you go. With $800 you could get enough QB light coverage for a 16-20ft2 space. Better to make a scaled back, doable plan and get going then worrying about a bigger plan that will, most definitely, be harder to implement and at least double the cost.

CARPE DIEM! :headbanger:

:goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom