I'm trying out CMH

You maybe wanna consider mounting them in cooltubes. That did a lot for me when growing with hps in tents. Got a 10C drop instantly.

You are the first I know of to try these babies out. Where I live they are veeery expensive, just the bulb is like 200$ and another 200$ for the ballast and fixture. My question when I saw these lights was do they run on hid ballasts? Like the hps and MH can?

I got both of mine from Amazon. The first one was $240.00 and the second one was $190.00. That was for the whole kit on both of them with the Sylvania 3100k bulb included. I kind of like the second one better and it was 50 bucks cheaper. From what I understand, the ballasts are different from both the hid ballasts.

CMH seem to produce about the same number of BTU’s per watt as HPS. Or so I have read. Bulbs last over twice as long, and cost over twice as much, so things are pretty equal there also. The claim though is that they are more efficient and produce more usable light for the plants. Which seems to be true.
However, it looks like flowering is where they fall short and produce less bud than HPS, because the spectrum isn’t ideal for flowering.
I’m always hoping to hear otherwise though, because I’d like to try them sometime.

I live in a cool climate and my grow is heated by the lights so I actually need that heat. Partly why I’m less interested in LED.
Also the coverage of CMH seems like it would be a slight step up from HID. The double bulb CMH 630 should cover a nice wide area. Not that I’ve actually had any uneven coverage problems with HID. Actually the plants on the edges seems to get slightly more light because of the reflective walls.
But if (and I’m not certain about this) they are less effective in flowering than what I have,..why switch? Flowering is what really matters.

I live in a cool climate and my grow is heated by the lights so I actually need that heat. Partly why I’m less interested in LED.
Also the coverage of CMH seems like it would be a slight step up from HID. The double bulb CMH 630 should cover a nice wide area. Not that I’ve actually had any uneven coverage problems with HID. Actually the plants on the edges seems to get slightly more light because of the reflective walls.
But if (and I’m not certain about this) they are less effective in flowering than what I have,..why switch? Flowering is what really matters.

If you have HPS, I'm sure they work great. Good light is good light no matter what the source is.

I have three small Prism #1 clones that I have in little 1 quart pots. I started them the same time I started the other clones. But because the pots are so small, the plants have remained pretty small. Next weekend I'm going to bring them back indoors transplant them into bigger 3 gallon cloth pots and put them under 12/12 lighting. It will just be a single 600 watt ViparSpectra led. I think it actually pulls about 280 watts from the wall. It will be interesting to see how well or how badly they grow with just a single smaller LED. But I have a feeling they will do just as well as any of the other indoor grows I have had so far. We'll see.

I love cold as much as warmth. Today it was 27C outside hear and my head is just spinning of it. Got enough spinning from my broken neck as it is...

Yes it all depends on what type of space you are growing in and what the circumstances are for it. I'm certain I will be using the hps again later this year but for my situation right now my led setup is the optimum for the space I can spare right now.

I can't get my wraps round why they are marketing a E40 adapter for the CMH if the ballasts can't handel it. But it's most certain if you wan't to use a cooltube for cooling.

It's exiting to see your tremendous growth with that light!

Some new pics from yesterday. These girls are growing fast. It's hard to keep up. I just finished week 1 of flower yesterday. The stretch is getting good. I only have about 2' more of grow space. I think I'll make it.

Kawabunga! Have you tried counting the tops? :ganjamon:

I think there is somewhere around 80. Not quite as many as my last grow. But my last grow I only had two plants. This time I have four, so I didn't train as much because of the limited space. But they fill the tent completely.

So the girls are all back in their little home again. They've been trimmed, sunned and bathed. (Bathed with neem oil).

Since they just finished the second week of flower, hopefully they won't get out of hand anymore with overgrowth. But the buds can overgrow as much as they like.

Wow lots of undergrowth. Reminds me of my Pineapple Chunk. I have to clean it up at least three times every flowering. By mid flowering I pretty much need a moon suit for the job it’s so gross and sticky. Good luck ;)

Back
Top Bottom