Immature side shoots and buds

HarrySchleem69

So I have a plant on day 9 since flipping to 12/12 and the plant is stretching nicely and very vigorously. I am wondering though, should I pluck off some of the more immature side shoots that don't get quite big enough before she really starts to flower? Some of them are starting to get taller but I did some lollipopping with this one and I have the number of tops that I want and I'm not sure how the plants usually produce flower at these sites as this is only my second grow and on the first one I plucked off every bit of immature growth. Did I hurt my yields by doing that or did I unknowingly help my yields? Any info you can grant me on this subject? I want this plant to have a much better chance at getting the highest yield i can

Hey Harry. There are a ton of variables. Maybe you can post pics of the plant? Personally I’m not really big on chopping branches off unnecessarily, but having said that I do usually trim up very bushy growth or areas the light doesn’t reach well.

A good time to do that sort of trimming is after the plant stops stretching. Usually after about three weeks flowering for most strains.

Hey Harry. There are a ton of variables. Maybe you can post pics of the plant? Personally I’m not really big on chopping branches off unnecessarily, but having said that I do usually trim up very bushy growth or areas the light doesn’t reach well.

A good time to do that sort of trimming is after the plant stops stretching. Usually after about three weeks flowering for most strains.
I hope this is enough to give to an idea of what I mean lol. All of the little side branches coming out. On my first plant I trimmed everything except for like a node below the tops and I didn't get any bud below that. If I keep all these shoots, will bud still develop nicely in those areas?

20201122_113345.jpg

On the subject of this plant. When it was young I had it under 12/12 for experimental reasons for a time, then switched it back to 18/6 and kept it there until I flipped it to flower. It threw out some female parts when I first put it under 18/6. Well now, it looks like I'm either getting only pollen sacs or a mix of pollen sacs and calyxes. Is that possible? Or could it still be a little too early to see the fully grown female sex parts and they just look like male pollen sacs? In my first grow I ended up with 3 males and I have a good idea of what an early pollen sac looks like

20201122_114246.jpg

20201122_114145.jpg

the side shoots will produce buds but smaller and the lower it goes the smaller they get. ok to trim some lowers off.

and, yes,, those are male pods i would suggest

switching back and forth between flower and veg is not recommended, i would also suggest

cheers friend

the side shoots will produce buds but smaller and the lower it goes the smaller they get. ok to trim some lowers off.

and, yes,, those are male pods i would suggest

switching back and forth between flower and veg is not recommended, i would also suggest

cheers friend
Is there any chance it's just odd looking female parts? This plant came out of the soil fucked up in several ways and the early female parts it grew, some of them were attached by a little "stem" seen in the picture. Or maybe I just stressed it the fuck out with everything I've done to it and now it has both sexes in an attempt to pollinate itself

Snapchat-1390370475.jpg

Do you just have the one plant?
In the first photo -those lower branches- personally I could go either way if it was my plant.
I would probably just leave them since they don’t look very crowded. But it depends on your lighting as well. But yes those lower buds do develop and ripen, at least they do in my grow. I’ll have small buds all the way up the stem in quite dark conditions which ripen perfectly fine just a bit later. As long as it’s not a bunch of bushy stuff getting in my way, and if they have some decent spacing between them like yours seem to- then I usually leave the small buds. They don’t yield much but are super easy to trim and a nice bonus. But your lighting/strain might get different results.

Yeah that looks pretty hermaphrodite-ish so far but wait and see. No need to panic about pollen right away especially if you’ve only got one plant.
Plants that grow both pods and calyxes are just bad genetics and not worth keeping IMO. People talk about stress causing hermies which I’m sure is true in some cases- but any female plant that starts growing unwanted pods for any reason never was really worth keeping. Good genetics might show some ‘nanners’ under stress- but any plant that shows pods and calyxes early on is one for the compost heap IMO

I’ve seen one or two people manage to pick their pods off and they never grew back- but that’s very rare.

Anyway- wait and see a while...

Do you just have the one plant?
In the first photo -those lower branches- personally I could go either way if it was my plant.
I would probably just leave them since they don’t look very crowded. But it depends on your lighting as well. But yes those lower buds do develop and ripen, at least they do in my grow. I’ll have small buds all the way up the stem in quite dark conditions which ripen perfectly fine just a bit later. As long as it’s not a bunch of bushy stuff getting in my way, and if they have some decent spacing between them like yours seem to- then I usually leave the small buds. They don’t yield much but are super easy to trim and a nice bonus. But your lighting/strain might get different results.

Yeah that looks pretty hermaphrodite-ish so far but wait and see. No need to panic about pollen right away especially if you’ve only got one plant.
Plants that grow both pods and calyxes are just bad genetics and not worth keeping IMO. People talk about stress causing hermies which I’m sure is true in some cases- but any female plant that starts growing unwanted pods for any reason never was really worth keeping. Good genetics might show some ‘nanners’ under stress- but any plant that shows pods and calyxes early on is one for the compost heap IMO

I’ve seen one or two people manage to pick their pods off and they never grew back- but that’s very rare.

Anyway- wait and see a while...
Well I have that plant in with another plant that is coming on week 7 of flower and they're in a very tight space so they're very close together lol. I honestly think the fact that it's possibly going hermie on me is I did stress it out like crazy but maybe it's also bad genetics playing a part. I've done similar things to the plant I have in week 7 of flower and she's beautiful. I'll wait a few more days and let the presex mature a little before I get rid of it. That'll make 3 males and 1 possible herm between the 5 plants I've grown, all bag seed though so im not surprised but godamn I need some good luck or maybe just need to order fem seeds from now on

Yeah bagseed is usually there for that reason- hermies, which tend to grow more hermies.
maybe it's also bad genetics playing a part.
Definitely. Stress and genetics both play a part, but if your genetics are good then it’s very difficult to torture a plant into producing hermies.

Yeah bagseed is usually there for that reason- hermies, which tend to grow more hermies.

Definitely. Stress and genetics both play a part, but if your genetics are good then it’s very difficult to torture a plant into producing hermies.
I was going through the plant plucking any pollen sacs I see but I don't see any female parts at all? Is it still too early or did this thing totally flip genders on me? I just don't want it pollinating the plant i already have and I don't want to waste more time on it if it's a lost cause

They can change genders for sure. It happens.

In fact it’s very trendy these days. But yeah I throw out anything with pods on it, unless I induced those pods on purpose, for pollen to make seeds.

They can change genders for sure. It happens.

In fact it’s very trendy these days. But yeah I throw out anything with pods on it, unless I induced those pods on purpose, for pollen to make seeds.
so much time and effort on this plant. I really think it's either hermed with heavy male traits or it just totally had a sex change. Fuck me. I don't see any female parts anywhere, at all so I guess I'm gonna dispose of it and start another one lol dammit man thats so disappointing

That’s what she/he said. To her/himself.
So should I get rid of it? Lol I don't want it pollinating my flower area and im still in denial and I need someone to tell me "yeah you should probably get rid of it". I don't want to waste more time on it for it to just end up being a definite male or a herm with more male dominant sex

Back
Top Bottom