Immediate help requested/needed please

hey everyone..

I've currently got two 'Blue Columbian' plants in flowering. They're both 44 days into their flowering cycle.

Well, I noticed yesterday morning that on one of the plants... one of the buds which is located around the bottom area of the plant.. I noticed that a few calyxes seemed to have split open????!!?? :scratchinghead:

I've seen this before.. or I mean, I've had this happen before and I've never really tried to diagnose the problem up until now.

Anyone have any ideas of what could be causing that?? I've never really thought it was that big of a deal.. but that was back when I first started growing about 4 years ago. Which, again, back then.. I was just focused on completing and finishing my first grow you know?? So I wasn't worried about it back then.. but now that I've been growing for 4 years, I want to try and figure out what is causing this issue... as I take great pride in growing nothing but the best and top quality buds.

Anyhow, any information/advice/help/suggestions is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance to those who help me with this issue. TY! :peace:

Re: Immediate help requested/needed please..

A picture would go a long ways towards solving the problem. Also any additional information would be helpful. How to Ask for Grow Support

My bad, here's all the information:

Plants: 2

Strain: BLUE DIESEL [X] BRITISH COLUMBIAN F3

Medium: Soil (organic soil) Brand is called 'Sunshine' (I've been using this soil for past grows and I've had great results with it)

Grow Type: Indoor

Lighting: 2 150watt HPS lights for top canopy lighting; 4 150watt 2600k CFL bulbs (2 per plant) for side/lower lighting; Total watts combined 900watts; As far as Lumen output goes, I know that the 150HPS lights are rated at like 20k lumens each (give or take a few) but not sure about the CFL bulbs. I think they're around 2 to 5k lumens each.

Nutrients: General Organics (I've got their 'GO BOX') which contains the following organic nutrients/supplements: Bio-Thrive 'GROW'; Bio-Thrive 'BLOOM'; CaMg+; Bio-Root 'Root Booster'; Bio-Weed; Bio-Bud; Bio-Marine; and lastly, Diamond Black (liquid humic acid).

Hopefully that helps out..? I don't have a good enough camera to get a clear upclose picture of whats going on.. so, yeah.. sucks. :|

Though, as of this morning.. I checked on both ladies and I don't see any other calyxes that have split open.. so I'm hoping it was just a fluke deal and it was just the one cluster of calyxes that were the issue. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I can/could post some pics of them.. but again, im not currently able to do any clear close-up shots.

Anyhow, if any further information is needed please by all means let me know.

Appreciate it!

peace. :peace:

Good one I'll check that... Nowhere did I see you mention ph, tds water runoff, or ppm water feeding. Or any bugs, or anything on soil other than a conclusion that it is not the soil.-

Also your description could be improved without pictures.-

I took this from ...

Carnation flower harvesting and post harvest handling | GreenerThumb.com

Physiological disorder: Splitting of calyx is a serious disorder affecting the quality of Carnations. In this disorder sepals beneath the flower are unable to form a cylindrical calyx tube which supports the base of the petals. As the bud opens and size of petals increases, calyx may split down either half or completely because it is unable to contain the load of extra petals. The primary cause of calyx splitting is unknown but may be due to genetical, environmental like low temperature & fluctuation in day night temperature and nutritional like low level of nitrogen and boron. The problem of calyx splitting can be reduced by placing of rubber band around the calyx of the flower bud, when they have just started opening. Increased level of potassium & boron, choosing the cultivars which are less prone to splitting and uniformity in day night temperature can reduce the problem.

So I would say that genetics is probably your best bet. Oh and if you are cold purpling your plants with night cold temps and it is happening then another variable.-

Oh and just on the ancillary to this non plant specific derived question...-

In soils that have been sanitized by nutes, the balance can get out of whack when natural bacteria die out or get one type overrunning the mix... This can cause most specifically rare boron deficiency,-

and finally ph being off causes everything to go wrong.-

Imo

ah well, thanks for the help man.

I reset my PH level and its now at a neutral 7.0

before I corrected the PH level.. well, its quite embarrassing to say this, but before I corrected it, the PH level test showed that the PH level was at 5.1 which isn't good, I know..

uggghhh....

anyhow, I'm curious to see if that maybe fixed the problem. I checked on them this morning at 'lights on' time and I don't see any other calyxes/buds with the same problem.. so I'm hoping I caught in time. If not, eh, well.. I'll just start over again. No big deal really.. I mean, yeah, it sucks BIG TIME.. but, what can ya do eh? Just live and learn. ;)

Thanks for the help buddy.

peace :peace:

How are the calyxes looking? Were you able to resolve the problem?

Hey Steve,

the Calyxes on both ladies are looking fine. The PH level seems to have dropped down a bit (Soil PH). Instead of being around in the 7.3 to 7.6 range.. its now hovering around 6.8 to 7.0 which is acceptable for me personally.

I did notice just a couple of calyxes that seem to have split open.. but its VERY few. For example, the Indica dom girl, she's got a total of 3 calyxes that are split open.. but that's all on her. As for the Sativa dom girl, she's got 4 or 5 calyxes which are located almost right at the very tip of the plant (main Kohla) which have split open.. but you can tell that they split open a while ago.. so it wasn't a recent thing.

Other than that.. both girls seem to be doing WAY better now.

I'd still like to get the PH down to like around, eh lets say in the 6.5 to 7.0 range. Anything above 7.0 or below 6.5 - meh, I don't like my numbers that high or that low. Causes problems that aren't necessary.

I'm going to flush both plants during the next watering. Bout time to start flushing which also means no more nutrients. Today is exactly day #49 of flowering (actual flowering; not 12/12) which means today is the last day of week #7 of flowering! Sweetness.. ;) Tomorrow will be the start/first day of week #8.. so I'm getting into the last final few weeks as long as things keep going the way they are.

I've had no problems out of this strain other than the calyx/PH problem.. and now that I've gotten the PH level down a bit.. they seem to be much happier now.. and once I get the PH level down to around 6.5 to 6.8 - they'll be even happier.

But yeah, from now on until harvest time.. I'll be flushing once a week and I won't be giving the ladies any more nutrients.

The Sativa dom girl actually spit out some new calyx pods about a week ago.. so I'm not sure on when she'll actually be ready for harvesting.

The Indica dom girl, she's looking more mature than the Sativa, which we all know that Sativa dom strains tend to take longer to mature than Indica dom strains do..

but yeah, other than that.. both ladies are looking great.

Thanks for checking up on me and my girls man. :D

peace...:peace:

P.S. - Just wanted to wish everyone a wonderful Christmas and a GREAT New Year! Have fun but be safe!

Back
Top Bottom