420 Magazine Background

In defense of blurple lights

Stunned

please......
Newbies are just plain stupid
as we all were when we first started doing it
Millennials, who we see much of now are just way too dramatic
That thread in lighting, "Please help us pick a light" is a perfect example
There was no real research on the participant's part as to what the light choices should be
The grow will be a similar screeching of OMG what now?
ect. ect.

Pinktiger777

please......
Newbies are just plain stupid
as we all were when we first started doing it
Millennials, who we see much of now are just way too dramatic
That thread in lighting, "Please help us pick a light" is a perfect example
There was no real research on the participant's part as to what the light choices should be
The grow will be a similar screeching of OMG what now?
ect. ect.
As a new grower, I researched everything. That’s how I found this site. And others. I know that I made the best choices for me. Hydro fit my style. Always puttering in it. And the Viparspectra lights fit my budget. I soon learned about the particulars in lights. And so do the rest of the newbies. Fact is. I couldn’t use halides or whatever people say they love. Too hot and too expensive to run.
It amuses me that growing your own is now a thing. Until recently, most people would avoid you if they thought you used cannabis. And so now come the designer tents and accessories, and houses will be sold touting the turnkey grow room in the basement. But lm stoned. Puff puff pass.

Canine246810

Light snobs among us, don't knock the "blurple" lights. They are effective and cost less to purchase and run than HID or similar lighting. When I decided to grow cannabis, I researched for months and months. I knew I wanted to grow as fast as possible, so I chose hydroponics. I went with ebb and flow because it was something I knew I could understand and oversee. The lights were another matter. I bought a Viparspectra full spectrum 300 watt equivalent for my first grows. The grows were nice, but I wasn't getting much out of the harvest, just four ounces or so. So I added a light, the same light. 600 watts equivalent was doing the job better, and I was getting an extra ounce or two. When I decided to add the second tent for cloning, I bought a dimmable light, also Viparspectra, 300 watt equiv. I liked it so much I bought another one for the big tent, and now I have 900 watts equivalent over my canopy in the grow tent.
The last yield with four plants in the tent was a bit over 9 ounces of bud. I also had about a pound of trim. Sugar trim.
Now I'm growing three Mazari Grape plants in the flowering tent, and they were just flipped to 12/12. Three because four was too many. I had one plant that was sickly because of crowding. Now all three are doing well.
I don't do everything right. I have made a lot of mistakes, but because I'm willing to take chances and experiment, I have learned a great deal about growing cannabis using hydro (ebb and flow) and DWC (for cloning.)
And I feel I have enough light in my flowering tent to grow as much as possible in the small 2X2.5 feet X 57inches tall tent.
Why is blurple or LED given such a bad rap? I really want to know.
Are you lights like first generation Vipars cause mine actually have ViparSpectra cut into the sides where air passes. I have 2 300W equiv Reflector series. I do well with them and I use all Vipar spectra equipment available. Also I dont think wattage is what actually matters its more aout the lumens. Im in the LED biz and you can get alot of lumen with low wattage so just because you spend $180 on a high wattage light doesnt actually mean your getting enough lumen output. Also Viparspectra lights dont just have a blurple tint. They actually rotate between spectrums and you can take clear photos if you catch them in a daylight period. Do your research not all LED full spectrums are cheap diodes.

IMG_2964.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

bluenoserjoe

Photo of the Month: May 2019
Knock im if you want but for a $150 investment, so far a 450 gram return in two grows. A gram per watt and with a little tlc, some nice hard nugs. A viper spectra 450, only real complaint is the foot print. Gonna have a second one come the fall.

Barney86

Here's my best effort with the blurples.
330316.jpg

2 x mars 600s (240w each give or take)
Only used 1 of them for the first 5 weeks or so.
They're mars hydros first model blurples that came out somewhere between the stone age and the apparent birth of Christ.
What's the mars reps tag actually, anyone know? wouldn't mind knowing how old they really are. I think it's like 10 year old tech but might be a little more.

22oz auto though. 19-5 from seed.
Haha I actually started her under a 130w CFL for the first 2 weeks aswell.
Worst light on earth for growing weed but hey, it's not the size that counts.
It's what you do with it eh lads :)

That was from lights that 90% of growers will tell you are absolutely useless.

CANT WAIT TO FINALLY UPGRADE FOR NEXT SEASON!!!!!

gonna be UK available quantum board type LEDs Vs my marshys upgraded with Vero cobs :)

Last edited:

Remystemple

330316.jpg

They're mars hydros first model blurples that came out somewhere between the stone age and the apparent birth of Christ.
What's the mars reps tag actually, anyone know? wouldn't mind knowing how old they really are. I think it's like 10 year old tech but might be a little more.

gonna be UK avaable quantum board type LEDs Vs my marshys upgraded with Vero cobs :)
330316.jpg

gonna be UK available quantum board type LEDs Vs my marshys upgraded with Vero cobs :)
nice plant. how'd you get any air in there? lmao jk

Barney86

Nice barney

Im color blind so the purple doesn't bother me.

My 600 vispar grows the crap out of what ever I put under it, thanks to people like @Barney86 who shares information :high-five:

I bought my led based on heat issues, then price factoring the rest of my shoping list at time, reviews from countless hours of reading.
Haha quality mate I'm fairly colour blind too. Can see under my blurples no worries :)

SmokeSara

420 Sponsor
For old blurple lights, you need watt for watt replacement (true wattage), some ads misleading you that light save 30~50% energy and growers will use less wattage lights, so grow less good. :51:
But if you use watt for watt, as blurple lights ususally has a better spectrum than hps, you might get better quality buds, and as the heat on the LED is less than HPS, you will save more from the cooling system and nutrients. :green_heart:

Canine246810

For old blurple lights, you need watt for watt replacement (true wattage), some ads misleading you that light save 30~50% energy and growers will use less wattage lights, so grow less good. :51:
But if you use watt for watt, as blurple lights ususally has a better spectrum than hps, you might get better quality buds, and as the heat on the LED is less than HPS, you will save more from the cooling system and nutrients. :green_heart:
Again I dont get where the wattage comes in. Here is a example of LED's I use in Signs. I put a section of the spec sheet only other info I see could be useful is optic lens and they are 170 degree. I am planning on making a few of these panels just for a test run and I can get these in whats called LED full spectrum. red blue green yellow (full spectrum). 10 watts is over 1000 lumens.

IMG_0568.jpg

Top Bottom