In defense of blurple lights

please......
Newbies are just plain stupid
as we all were when we first started doing it
Millennials, who we see much of now are just way too dramatic
That thread in lighting, "Please help us pick a light" is a perfect example
There was no real research on the participant's part as to what the light choices should be
The grow will be a similar screeching of OMG what now?
ect. ect.

please......
Newbies are just plain stupid
as we all were when we first started doing it
Millennials, who we see much of now are just way too dramatic
That thread in lighting, "Please help us pick a light" is a perfect example
There was no real research on the participant's part as to what the light choices should be
The grow will be a similar screeching of OMG what now?
ect. ect.
As a new grower, I researched everything. That’s how I found this site. And others. I know that I made the best choices for me. Hydro fit my style. Always puttering in it. And the Viparspectra lights fit my budget. I soon learned about the particulars in lights. And so do the rest of the newbies. Fact is. I couldn’t use halides or whatever people say they love. Too hot and too expensive to run.
It amuses me that growing your own is now a thing. Until recently, most people would avoid you if they thought you used cannabis. And so now come the designer tents and accessories, and houses will be sold touting the turnkey grow room in the basement. But lm stoned. Puff puff pass.

Light snobs among us, don't knock the "blurple" lights. They are effective and cost less to purchase and run than HID or similar lighting. When I decided to grow cannabis, I researched for months and months. I knew I wanted to grow as fast as possible, so I chose hydroponics. I went with ebb and flow because it was something I knew I could understand and oversee. The lights were another matter. I bought a Viparspectra full spectrum 300 watt equivalent for my first grows. The grows were nice, but I wasn't getting much out of the harvest, just four ounces or so. So I added a light, the same light. 600 watts equivalent was doing the job better, and I was getting an extra ounce or two. When I decided to add the second tent for cloning, I bought a dimmable light, also Viparspectra, 300 watt equiv. I liked it so much I bought another one for the big tent, and now I have 900 watts equivalent over my canopy in the grow tent.
The last yield with four plants in the tent was a bit over 9 ounces of bud. I also had about a pound of trim. Sugar trim.
Now I'm growing three Mazari Grape plants in the flowering tent, and they were just flipped to 12/12. Three because four was too many. I had one plant that was sickly because of crowding. Now all three are doing well.
I don't do everything right. I have made a lot of mistakes, but because I'm willing to take chances and experiment, I have learned a great deal about growing cannabis using hydro (ebb and flow) and DWC (for cloning.)
And I feel I have enough light in my flowering tent to grow as much as possible in the small 2X2.5 feet X 57inches tall tent.
Why is blurple or LED given such a bad rap? I really want to know.
Are you lights like first generation Vipars cause mine actually have ViparSpectra cut into the sides where air passes. I have 2 300W equiv Reflector series. I do well with them and I use all Vipar spectra equipment available. Also I dont think wattage is what actually matters its more aout the lumens. Im in the LED biz and you can get alot of lumen with low wattage so just because you spend $180 on a high wattage light doesnt actually mean your getting enough lumen output. Also Viparspectra lights dont just have a blurple tint. They actually rotate between spectrums and you can take clear photos if you catch them in a daylight period. Do your research not all LED full spectrums are cheap diodes.

IMG_2964.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 188
  • led1.JPG
    led1.JPG
    551.3 KB · Views: 189
Knock im if you want but for a $150 investment, so far a 450 gram return in two grows. A gram per watt and with a little tlc, some nice hard nugs. A viper spectra 450, only real complaint is the foot print. Gonna have a second one come the fall.

Here's my best effort with the blurples.
330316.jpg

2 x mars 600s (240w each give or take)
Only used 1 of them for the first 5 weeks or so.
They're mars hydros first model blurples that came out somewhere between the stone age and the apparent birth of Christ.
What's the mars reps tag actually, anyone know? wouldn't mind knowing how old they really are. I think it's like 10 year old tech but might be a little more.

22oz auto though. 19-5 from seed.
Haha I actually started her under a 130w CFL for the first 2 weeks aswell.
Worst light on earth for growing weed but hey, it's not the size that counts.
It's what you do with it eh lads :)

That was from lights that 90% of growers will tell you are absolutely useless.

CANT WAIT TO FINALLY UPGRADE FOR NEXT SEASON!!!!!

gonna be UK available quantum board type LEDs Vs my marshys upgraded with Vero cobs :)

Nice barney

Im color blind so the purple doesn't bother me.

My 600 vispar grows the crap out of what ever I put under it, thanks to people like @Barney86 who shares information :high-five:

I bought my led based on heat issues, then price factoring the rest of my shoping list at time, reviews from countless hours of reading.

330316.jpg

They're mars hydros first model blurples that came out somewhere between the stone age and the apparent birth of Christ.
What's the mars reps tag actually, anyone know? wouldn't mind knowing how old they really are. I think it's like 10 year old tech but might be a little more.

gonna be UK avaable quantum board type LEDs Vs my marshys upgraded with Vero cobs :)
330316.jpg

gonna be UK available quantum board type LEDs Vs my marshys upgraded with Vero cobs :)

nice plant. how'd you get any air in there? lmao jk

Nice barney

Im color blind so the purple doesn't bother me.

My 600 vispar grows the crap out of what ever I put under it, thanks to people like @Barney86 who shares information :high-five:

I bought my led based on heat issues, then price factoring the rest of my shoping list at time, reviews from countless hours of reading.
Haha quality mate I'm fairly colour blind too. Can see under my blurples no worries :)

For old blurple lights, you need watt for watt replacement (true wattage), some ads misleading you that light save 30~50% energy and growers will use less wattage lights, so grow less good. :bongrip:
But if you use watt for watt, as blurple lights ususally has a better spectrum than hps, you might get better quality buds, and as the heat on the LED is less than HPS, you will save more from the cooling system and nutrients. :green_heart:

For old blurple lights, you need watt for watt replacement (true wattage), some ads misleading you that light save 30~50% energy and growers will use less wattage lights, so grow less good. :bongrip:
But if you use watt for watt, as blurple lights ususally has a better spectrum than hps, you might get better quality buds, and as the heat on the LED is less than HPS, you will save more from the cooling system and nutrients. :green_heart:
Again I dont get where the wattage comes in. Here is a example of LED's I use in Signs. I put a section of the spec sheet only other info I see could be useful is optic lens and they are 170 degree. I am planning on making a few of these panels just for a test run and I can get these in whats called LED full spectrum. red blue green yellow (full spectrum). 10 watts is over 1000 lumens.

IMG_0568.jpg

Hi guys I'm just here to put my two cents in on the topic of blurple lights.. Firstly I'd like to say I am personally sick of ppl knocking ppl for using such lights.. We should be here to support all our fellow growers and that not everyone has an unlimited budget for their grow ops. Don't get me wrong I understand the technology behind all various light sources from m.h, to h.p.s, fluorescent, white light l.e.d, and blurple l.e.d, and so on ... The fact is just like styles of growing everyone of them have their pros and there con's... For me I went with the blurple lights because they were cost effective to me.. With the initial cost of buying a tent, inline fan, timers, thermo controls, pots, nutrients, scrog, oscillating fans, and so on it gets quite pricey.. And especially for newbies where this could be there first grow ever and don't really want to invest so much money to start. The thing is I was aware of the false wattage numbers being flashed around with these blurple lights and how the companies are trying to upsell their products to something that they quite weren't.. And I think that is what truly offends expensive white light l.e.d growers and m.h/h.p.s growers... No I don't think my 1200 watt l.e.d blurple light is equal to a 1200 m.h or anything like that.. But instead I treat it as more like a 400 watt replacement because that what it truly is... Does it make it a bad product.. Hell no! U just have to over look the false advertisement and you need to adjust accordingly when figuring out how much light u truly need.. For me money was a thing.. I was a big outdoor guy.. Last year I grew 10 ' monsters all with over a pound per plant.. But two weeks before harvest they got ripped off and I was devastated.. So with the little money I had I decided to put together a thrifty grow with just a 3x3 tent ... So I went online looked around I managed to find a 900 meizhi reflector series for $170 used only one grow.. Then I found a phlizon 1200 for $200 same kinda thing.. And I also threw in the little 300 watt vivosun that came in with my kit... So for under $500 I had 2400 watts of falsley advertised wattage but knowingly I knew I had actually about 900 true watts now .. And with these three lights I got great light penetration and intensity in my 3x3.. And all for under $500... And honestly I love these lights... I was quite surprised with the results thus far.. As I am now in my first week of flowering.. But my king tut that I am growing in these lights was only 5.5 weeks old and a beautiful monster with great development... I will post pics for proof... But to put everything simple ppl need to stop knocking each other for what lights they use .. Everyone has their reasons and by my experience you can grow great weed no matter what lights you use.. I still think blurple lights are a great cost effective way of growing great weed... So for ppl to look down on ppl for it is rediculous.. Its the same as a hydro guy looking down on an all organic guy or vise versa.. Every way has advantages and disadvantages..All that truly matters is what ever works for you for what ever reasons you have.. I will agree that technology is getting better with l.e.d. and it is the way of the future .. But not everyone can afford the expensive fancy stuff... I have many years of growing under my belt and nothing beats the sun ! Lol.. But as for lights everyone has their reasons ... We should just all support each other and what works for one doesn't have to be "the way" for others..

IMG_20201224_160711.jpg

IMG_20201224_160118.jpg

IMG_20201224_160102.jpg

IMG_20201224_160045.jpg

IMG_20201223_113821.jpg

IMG_20201223_113815.jpg

IMG_20201223_113749.jpg

IMG_20201223_113745.jpg

IMG_20201223_113603.jpg

IMG_20201223_113450.jpg

I just wish people could manage to turn the things off before taking pictures of their plants. It's no big deal for the "showing off plants" posts, because I and most other people can just skip right past them, with no harm done. But when it's someone asking for help with some kind of issue, it's annoying. "Can anyone tell what's wrong with my plant???" No, because it's f*cking purple, lol. Probably bothers me more than the average person, because I have a color perception issue - but, still, a large part of diagnosing a sick plant is being able to actually see what it looks like. Helping people via an Internet forum is already oft times a lengthy process, because they can't seem to list the things that would generally make it relatively easy to tell them not only what the issue is, but also why it occurred. When you add the fact that the person asking for help couldn't be bothered to turn off the blurple lighting... for the few seconds it would have required to use the camera's flash, a desk lamp, a flashlight, et cetera... A lot of people probably just skip those posts, too, because they're too annoyed at the thought of having to tell someone for the 300th time (this year :rolleyes:) that it would help if they world post halfway decent pictures of their plants.

Aside from that... <SHRUGS> Use whatever you like. Expect that other people are going to state their opinions, though. To address the second sentence in your above post: Presumably, opinions about your lights, as opposed to opinions about YOU. If you get flamed because of your choice of lighting, etc., something that goes beyond the level of 'good-natured ribbing," then you can - and probably should - use the Report Post link at the bottom of the post it occurred in to report the behavior to a staff member.

I'm not sure how "cost effective" your choice of lighting devices will ultimately turn out to be. You stated that you've got $500 invested in them, and are paying for 900 watts' worth of electricity each month. For a 9 ft.² garden space, some folks would have just bought a 600-watt HPS setup for less money (potentially a good bit less, but spending more than the absolute minimum, so as to get better components, would be the better decision) - and be paying for less electricity, too. But that's just a guess; who knows, maybe you'll end up harvesting substantially more than someone would with the HPS setup.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that pictures of plants illuminated with some other types of lighting can also be somewhat challenging (lol) to look at. Relatively low color temperature HPS, for example, especially if they're powerful enough to overwhelm the camera's CCD/CMOS sensor.

Firstly this is a defending blurple post not get f##cking attacked about it bud.... I know and I get it about the ppl who ask for help with the blurple pics .. Yes you need to take pics in true light if u want true help... Instead having smug a$$holes like you bugging them bud... And firstly I can't run a fucking 1k hps way too much fucking heat for my 3x3 and the room I have to keep it in.. I would have to burn even more hydro just to keep it cool enough for the HP's.. And not only that a 1k HP's is going to burn a lot more hydro then my l.e.d.s will bud .. Altogether my lights are about $65 a month!..and I have light coming from more then one source with more points of light and more angles in which better light penetration.. With the multi lights but also the multiple diods in each system creating more points of light and more angles creating better light penetration ..I'm not getting any kind of cost savings with the HP's.. Specially since heat will be a problem so that more money.. And the fact I have a small tent I don't have to worry about distance from plants as much either with my l.e.ds.... And I have never seen such great development in my plants already.. I have no complaints.. And the fact I will still get many more grows out of them too! So people Like you can run your mouth all you want .. But I am here to support everyone and with anything they decide to use and what works or what's best for them at this given time... And I am going to keep on growing great weed and I will post the pics just to show you how great it can really be ! And I will be here supporter any and all.. Except for the bashers like u!

Oh I forgot to also add when you stated oh how much electricity would I really be saving well as stated its actually less then $65 a month where as the hps is more like $85 a month plus the additional cost of electricity to keep things cool ... And as for the cost effectiveness I said and "" ALL " for under $500 not the lights .. Can't you add !? My lights cost $375 ... And by the time I buy a hps ballast that's worth a fuck plus the bulbs there is no savings there either... And the fact I have to keep replacing bulbs as well.. So nothing u said makes any true point.. But nice try ... I have been growing weed since I was 13 years old ! My uncle has been doing it hydro since the early 90's you can try to slam everyone with the info u obtain from the internet but there is no replacement for experience.. Everyone needs to dive in head first and just figure stuff out for themselves and see what works and what's best for themselves.. Because the true fact is we can argue for days about what's best what works what doesn't well I believe this well I believe that.. The fact it don't matter ... As long as it works for each of us like I said that's all that matters really... I have two posts up .. And you can follow them just to show you how with just a little bit of money and thriftiness you can grow great weed.... As stated I will keep posting info and the pics of my plants to prove it.. Remember my argument isn't that this is the best way .. My argument is based on not having much money to start with or wanting to start with and the fact these lights still produce great weed for a low initial cost and overall cost ...in my journal its all about the budget grow and also the importance of implementing all the training techniques to your plants to maximize yield.. In which I'm showing the importance of implementing the scrog method with lolipoping and continuous l.s.t.. For maximum yield results... I'd also like to step away from this now debate and say merry Christmas to everyone and wish everyone a happier new year and good luck to everyone with their grows .

Oh I forgot to also add when you stated oh how much electricity would I really be saving well as stated its actually less then $65 a month where as the hps is more like $85 a month plus the additional cost of electricity to keep things cool ... And as for the cost effectiveness I said and "" ALL " for under $500 not the lights .. Can't you add !? My lights cost $375 ... And by the time I buy a hps ballast that's worth a fuck plus the bulbs there is no savings there either... And the fact I have to keep replacing bulbs as well.. So nothing u said makes any true point.. But nice try ... I have been growing weed since I was 13 years old ! My uncle has been doing it hydro since the early 90's you can try to slam everyone with the info u obtain from the internet but there is no replacement for experience.. Everyone needs to dive in head first and just figure stuff out for themselves and see what works and what's best for themselves.. Because the true fact is we can argue for days about what's best what works what doesn't well I believe this well I believe that.. The fact it don't matter ... As long as it works for each of us like I said that's all that matters really... I have two posts up .. And you can follow them just to show you how with just a little bit of money and thriftiness you can grow great weed.... As stated I will keep posting info and the pics of my plants to prove it.. Remember my argument isn't that this is the best way .. My argument is based on not having much money to start with or wanting to start with and the fact these lights still produce great weed for a low initial cost and overall cost ...in my journal its all about the budget grow and also the importance of implementing all the training techniques to your plants to maximize yield.. In which I'm showing the importance of implementing the scrog method with lolipoping and continuous l.s.t.. For maximum yield results... I'd also like to step away from this now debate and say merry Christmas to everyone and wish everyone a happier new year and good luck to everyone with their grows
Damn! I'm glad to be in part of the country I'm in! Can't believe cost of electricity some places. My grow pulls about 10k watts n my bill is 230 a month.

Now now. You guys are going to ruin each other’s holidays arguing about cheap purple lights. :peace: :rolleyes:

I'm not going to report his hissy fit, but... wow. Cannabis, apparently, is not always a perfect substitute for bipolar head meds. I hope he takes his before he reads your post, or it might send him into another psychotic episode. I'm trying to avoid negativity on the forum, so I'd rather not see a repeat.

Back
Top Bottom