In Search of Mother - ThatOneGuyy's Journey For A Perfect - Hopefully - Mother Plant

ThatOneGuyy

Let me start of by saying, Thanks to anyone that decides to stop in on this journal. This was the place I started and learned much of what I know about growing and maintaining my girls. The journey was a long and wonderful experience. Life had gotten in the way and things came to an abrupt end but 6+ years later, here I am, back to the place I started.

I have honestly missed doing these journals, learning from everyone and trying new things. I feel like this journal will be a bit of a mess until I get my feet on the ground again but I feel like this is already long winded, so lets get into the nitty gritty!

Overview

Strains

Prozack
Seedbank Medical Seeds
Genetics Lavender x Kush
Sex Feminized
Variety Mostly Indica
Flowering Type Photoperiod
THC Content High (15-20%)
CBD Content High (5-10%)
Yield Medium
Plant Height Medium
Grows Greenhouse, Grows Indoors, Grows Outside
Flowering Time 70 days

Pineapple Chunk
Seedbank Barneys Farm
Genetics pineapple/skunk#1/cheese
Sex Feminized
Variety Mostly Indica
Flowering Type Photoperiod
THC Content Very High (over 20%)
CBD Content Medium (1-5%)
Yield High
Plant Height Medium
Grows Greenhouse, Grows Indoors, Grows Outside
Flowering Time 60-65 days
Harvest Month End september

Medium
Soil, soil, and more soil. I'm Taking a shot in the dark with this brand I found at Home Depot called "Black Magic Potting Soil". As a Person who has been a fan of Fox Farms since the beginning, it's a scary jump to get something from a chain hardware store. Ingredients wise, it seems like a good mix.
GROWING MEDIA
BLACK MAGIC POTTING SOIL
1.5 CF

A SUPERNATURAL BLEND THAT HELPS GROW BUDS BIG AND ROOTS STRONG.
Developed by expert growers with the finest ingredients and a dash of the dark arts for superior drainage, water retention, consistently strong roots, and results. From darkness comes greatness. Darkness for the greater good.
INGREDIENTS:
Coco Coir
Perlite
Sphagnum Peat Moss
Aged Bark
Volcanic Ash
Feather Meal, Bone Meal, Kelp Meal
Worm Castings
Bat Guano
potting-soil-og-5676d314292ba500px-tiny.png
potting-soil-10101-72403_productimage-back500px-tiny.png

I guess you can consider this the "Mainstreams take on Horticulture". I will do a test cup to check its water retention, Ph, and its ability to drain. Ill give you guys the information in a later update, mainly for those who have seen this brand and was on the fence with trying it.

Grow Area

Currently for my plants I have a
71hyUKJFwFL_SL1200_1.jpg
which is different considering I used to have my closet to grow in. Times have changed and my closet is a closet again so I needed something and somewhere to put my girlies this time Around.

Pots and Size
After the initial Germ and rooting stage, which will be done in peat pellets, I will transplant to 1 gallon pots. I will have them down in 1 gallon for about 1 month and let the initial LST and Topping before I decide which plants will be my potential Mothers.

I will take early cuttings of each and early flower, to watch development of each and choose the best one. Once chosen, the Mother will be transplanted to a 5 Gallon pot which then she will feed a my future outdoor grow/ and a possible Indoor Perpetual SOG.

Lights
My Faithful 2'x4 T5 Light that I used in my old grow journals. I replaced the bulbs, seeing as they are years old and used constantly for 2 years.
UG-T5-2X4-865.jpg

That's all I will use for my mothers, I'll most likely get an LED chain for my Perpetual SOG but that's still determined.

Starting next year my light source for my flowering girls, will be our wonderful Sun.

Goals

As I said earlier, My Goal is to have a strong and healthy Mother I can maintain and feed my future grows. I have a few friends that would also love to try their hands at growing, so if i can help them by getting strong clones from a strong plant would be helpful to them, what can I say, I'm a giver.

I have to finalize some things and organize all my spreadsheets and plans before I start to get in depth with watering schedules. I will make sure to update every chance I get, I also need to relearn how to photoshop so I can get some not garbage photos up. In the meantime, if you want to see some of my old grows they are there. I'll be lurking around again. Just need to scan through all those amazing grows out there. Hopefully I haven't forgotten how to do this. Here's to hoping it's like riding a bike!

Keep It Spicy
ToG

Re: In Search of Mother - ThatOneGuyy's Journey for a Perfect - Hopefully - Mother Pl

Mini Update Sep 16, 2017:So little has happened but I'm sure we have all been there. The Pineapple Chunk popped open a few days ago and I put it in my starter medium yesterday. The Prozack however, needed some help. My little beans didn't want to crack open so I decided to help them and gently crack them open. they look alive but germing slowly. I put them down into my starters and soaked them all in distilled water. Hopefully I will see some signs of life in the next few days.

Currently, I am only turning my light on for a few hours a day, just to heat up the room and maybe give them something to work towards. Thought it was worth mentioning this and I'm looking forward to giving you all an actual picture update.

That's it for now.

I will check this out, hope you find what you are looking for, good luck.
Welcome buddy! I'm Glad someone decided to pop in, I know its just the beginning and I don't have much to look at but I promise I will do my best to bring enough to the table to keep you and anyone else entertained, hopefully!

I'll head over and check your grow out, I've been meaning to do that, it's just life got real hectic and busy.

Keep it Spicy
ToG

Re: In Search of Mother - ThatOneGuyy's Journey for a Perfect - Hopefully - Mother Pl

What's up, sounds like you got a good plan. I'll sub for the ride. I live in socal, and have seen the Black Magic brand at Home Depot. Ive considered trying out their mediums but was hesitant. Excited to see how it works out for you.

Mini Update Sep 17, 2017:I find myself extremely impatient with the seeds I dropped down at the start of this journal(but not discouraged by it). Still no signs of sprouts but I'm still hopeful. All my seeds I got back in 2011,
which makes them decently aged but far from dead. I've seen beauties sprout from much older. In my impatience,
I decided to drop 6 more seeds into some Distilled water. The Strains I am adding are...

Strains

TH Seeds - S.A.G.E
Haze x Afghani
Sativa: 70/30
THC: 19-23%
Flower Time: 70-75 Days
Yield: Average
Flavor: Columbian and Thai stick
5 seeds per pack

G13 Blue Venom
BLUEBERRY X WHITE WIDOW
FEMINIZED
INDICA & SATIVA
PHOTOPERIOD
INDOOR & OUTDOOR

(I wish all sites would unify their information so I can provide info such as THC and CBD every time but i'll give when i can get)

There are 3 of each, Tomorrow I will transfer them to paper towels and hopefully they crack faster than the others. I'm not complaining though, I've never heard anyone complain at the end of the day, having too much bud! :thumb: More strain diversity, the better chance I get to finding the perfect mother.

Anyways, that is all I got for now. Sorry for the lack of pictures, believe me, I'm feeling super impatient and I wanna take some shots of my future lovelies. Rest assured they are on their way. Guess this is what i get for rushing to start my journal!

What's up, sounds like you got a good plan. I'll sub for the ride. I live in socal, and have seen the Black Magic brand at Home Depot. Ive considered trying out their mediums but was hesitant. Excited to see how it works out for you.
Glad to have you! I saw the ingredient(be it not exact on their mix and blend) and thought, hell, I'll give them a shot. I don't see many people talking about it, but if i can get away with saving money on my medium but still maintain quality, it would be worth the test. I still have yet to Decide on nutes. I was looking around and saw that Blue Planet Nutrients were still around and I thought I'd fall back into those but I got me a little to make my decision. Pop a squat and enjoy, hopefully by next week, I will have something for ya'll to see!

Keep It Spicy
ToG

Mini Update Sep 18, 2017:With so much inactivity in my seeds, it makes me think they are all done for. Today I dropped 6 more seeds(decided to try and germ all my old Seeds) in hopes of some of them being saved. If push comes to shove, I will buy some new seeds and push onward. The seeds I had, had not been kept in the most perfect of conditions but was in a dry dark place. They were about 6 years old so who knows, I'll either end up with a ton of plants, some plants, or none. Time will tell but I am not gonna separate them by days at a time.

The 6 seeds were soaking for a day and are now in paper towels. The new seeds I added are as follows:

Strains
Nirvana - Blackjack
Genetics Black Domina x Jock Horror
Plant type Predominantly Sativa
Sex Type Female
Cultivation Indoor
Average Yield 400 - 500 g/m² in SOG
Flowering Period 8 - 9 weeks
Grow Difficulty Hard
Nirvana - Aurora Indica
Genetics Afghani x Northern Lights
Plant type Predominantly Indica
Sex Type Female
Cultivation Indoor as well as Outdoor
Average Yield 400 - 500 g/m² in SOG
Flowering Period 7 - 9 weeks
Grow Difficulty Easy
Medical Seeds -Hammerhead
80% Indica / 20% Sativa
Genotype: White Rhino x Medicine Man
THC: 15-20%
CBD: High
Growing period indoor: 2-3 weeks
Indoor flowering period: 55-60 days
Indoor production per m2: more than 500gr
Outdoor height: 2-3m, growing well in width
Outdoor harvest: from September 15th
Outdoor yield: High
  • 3 Blackjack
  • 2 Aurora Indica
  • 1 Hammerhead
Final Thoughts

The thought of all these seeds I've spent money on being dead is devastating to say the least, I am gonna try and give them all the best chance at life possible. If by weeks end, I don't have any rooted and sprouting plants, I will buy some new seeds and have some new strains to play with. It's the unexpected expenses that kick you when you are down but if anything else, ill be excited to have some new strains.

Yeah they will pop soon enough, but I can relate with the impatience and desire to get going
I am hopeful that they will but I am planning for the worst. I'm gonna need everyone to pack a bowl for my girls. Hopefully they make it!

Keep it Spicy
ToG

Update Sep 20, 2017

So some things happened and certain seeds were not crackin' I gently cut a few open to see what was going on. There are a few taproots showing and a few strains and the seedlings I cut open were still white and firm. I am hoping that they start to unravel by the time I try to plant tomorrow.

What you are about to see is graphic and the Images may be shocking. Viewer discretion is advised

Aurora Indica
IMG_20170920_201321377.jpg

Blackjack
IMG_20170920_201353212.jpg

Hammerhead
IMG_20170920_201442949.jpg

Sage
IMG_20170920_201503383.jpg

Blue Venom
IMG_20170920_201525521.jpg

Excuse the garbage photos, I plan on getting a DSLR camera (hopefully Black Friday treats me well this year)
in the near future so expect a jump in quality. I actually didn't even plan on this today but I needed something to show.

Either way, I dropped 18 seeds and these are what remain. all the seeds from the start rotted away and things have been not doing well. Poor conditions for seed storage and years later will do that to you I guess.

Final Thoughts​

All in all, this has been a bit rough. To know you spent all this money on seeds and not be able to give them a fighting chance. It's unfortunate but that's how it goes huh. I should've done more pre-germ, Things like pre scratch the surface of the shell with sand paper to help water penetration. Either way, things can't always go the way we want them to. That is all I got for now, Ill be putting these girls in some soil tomorrow. Hopefully I can get some sprouts.

Keep it Sp
ToG

Re: In Search of Mother - ThatOneGuyy's Journey For A Perfect - Hopefully - Mother Pl

Perhaps you should just get some new seeds, they might be ok but that is a long add time

Re: In Search of Mother - ThatOneGuyy's Journey For A Perfect - Hopefully - Mother Pl

Perhaps you should just get some new seeds, they might be ok but that is a long add time

Funny Story about that, I actually just did! First off, Welcome to my Journal and thanks for the suggestion!

Mini Update Sep 21, 2017:Let me introduce you all to my new Strain!

Florida Gold
Breeder-DNA Genetics
Pack Size-6 Feminized Seeds
Type-Feminized
Lineage (M x F)-Florida OG x Jew Gold Cut
Sativa/Indica-30/70
Flowering Time-8 — 9 weeks
Yield- 450 — 550 grams/m2

I decided that my poor handling of my saved seeds have doomed me to this situation but I also put them down into some starter soil and they are gonna rest there and see what happens for a week or 2. I'm excited for a new strain. Once I get them in I will let you guys know and we shall see where it goes from there.

That it all I got for now! You guys all have a great night.
Keep It Spicy
ToG

So it has been a few weeks since I have posted but I feel like it is about time to start(hopefully) posting regularly from here in. for the few that have read through what I have posted thus far, you know that I have run into a few hiccups along the way. Aside from dead seeds, real life became a bit of a handful and I needed to take a step back from other things to focus on the things in front of me. All has settled and I can finally enjoy the finer things in life.

Update Oct. 12, 2017

IMG_20170927_122312896_1_.jpg

IMG_20170927_122325443_1_.jpg

IMG_20170929_171517057_1_.jpg

So there isn't much to show since the first few weeks after germination are a tad slow but I can still go through and talk through the bit of detail I can offer.

On Sep 27, 2017 I finally received my new seeds and put them in between paper towel. Within 24 hours they were showing taproot and immediately dropped them down into some peat starters. all seemed well and after a day, a few of them started to emerge. 3 out of the six had popped up and I was waiting on the other three. Oct 1, 20174 out of the 6 were ready for transplant but 2 of them were struggling.

The first that was struggling, fell through the loose peat down to the bottom and I had to dig it out and replant cause it was too far down into the medium. It caused the cotyledons(rounded seedling leaves) to somewhat petrify and not be allowed to open. I took an extreme measure and cut off the very top of the cotyledons to see if I could possible salvage her.(I will go more in detail in a post in a day or so)

The second problematic seed had pushed itself out of the medium all together and the taproot just broke.

Which leaves me with 4 strong girls and 1 questionable specimen, time will tell

Oct. 3, 2017

Transplant day! Let me explain how nerve wracking this was for me. As you have read(or not) I used peat starters and not the jiffy starters which have a little bag that are easy to cut open for transplant. Peat falls apart so hard and made it almost impossible to transplant without disturbing the roots.

I managed get the 4 down with little to no damage but I am never using the loose peat starters for seeds again,
lesson learned. sticking with rapid rooter starter plugs from now on.

IMG_20171005_153616462_1_.jpg

Oct. 12, 2017

Now, about 2 weeks from getting these seeds, my little ones are finally established and now working on node structure. I will go more into depth with each plants, starting next week Tues(it is the say i decided to start my first feed.) and the structure will be focused on details pertaining to each plant and what they are doing in development.
IMG_20171012_210743737_1_.jpg

All in all, I'm happy that I was finally able to get something started. I have learned my lesson and will store my seeds better next time. I am most likely gonna buy myself a nice DSLR camera for Christmas so hopefully that will be good. That's all I got for now.

Keep It Spicy
ToG

Try this, go get a small black jewelry box. My girl has one from a few chains I bought Her for her birthday. So take that obv remove jewelry and inner pieces, You want a bag of cotton rounds, and some sandwich bags. Take the cotton round mist it with purified water, than stick the seed in it generously wet the cotton round. Put a few mists of water into baggie than stick cotton round with seed safely in the baggie. Seal the bag inside the jewelry box put under light.

I have a 100% success rate and all my gorilla glues were 2 inches out of soil in few days . i put them directly into light warrior seed starter soil directly from tap root no pete plugs

Yeah thats a tough start but onward and upward. Keep it simple.
Yeah I am keeping things simple now, things have gotten kinda hectic though haha.

Try this, go get a small black jewelry box. My girl has one from a few chains I bought Her for her birthday. So take that obv remove jewelry and inner pieces, You want a bag of cotton rounds, and some sandwich bags. Take the cotton round mist it with purified water, than stick the seed in it generously wet the cotton round. Put a few mists of water into baggie than stick cotton round with seed safely in the baggie. Seal the bag inside the jewelry box put under light.

I have a 100% success rate and all my gorilla glues were 2 inches out of soil in few days . i put them directly into light warrior seed starter soil directly from tap root no pete plugs

Seems like a pretty good way to germ, I'll test that out next time I start some seeds. The peat starters were so problematic, I am not using them again. they don't hold together well for transplant.

I hear you try it i 100% bet you will never drop a seed in water again im a little lost on wat steps ill take for hydro but my help will know atleast in soil this has saved me for a good 6 months now you need to get light warrior seed starter and keep moist asf

I hear you try it i 100% bet you will never drop a seed in water again im a little lost on wat steps ill take for hydro but my help will know atleast in soil this has saved me for a good 6 months now you need to get light warrior seed starter and keep moist asf

Ill definitely check it out. I'm sucha fan boy for fox farm products. It's what I started with. I recently bought a compost bin so i can hopefully have some home made super soil. I'll be showing more things in my setup on Tuesdays update. Got lots going on right now.

Also, Welcome to my journal! It started a bit slow but once I find my schedule, I'll be posting regularly

Update Oct. 17, 2017

Happy Tuesday everyone! I'd like to say welcome to anyone just joining this journal and I hope you enjoy your stay. Things have finally started rolling and a few things have changed that I'd like to go over.

So without further ado, onto the meat and potatoes!

General Updates: So recently, I decided that my T5 light wasn't cutting it,
be it a bad batch of replacement bulbs or what, it just didn't seem to help much in terms of growth, which made me upgrade. I thought I would dive into the world of budget LED lights and got a ViparSpectra Reflector-Series R300.

It has been doing wonders with my plants. I received it on Oct. 15th and in the 2 days I have seen significant growth in my girls. I may get another one for the space later down the road when I ultimately transplant to 3 gal pots.

I also finally switched to an 18/6 light cycle since I had been running 24/0 since transplant.

Today was my very first day of feeding my girls with the Nutrients I decided to go with, General Hydroponics.

20171017_204044.jpg

I am currently feeding at 1/4 strength and no issue so far. My PH is sitting at 6.6 and I need a new tds pen to further measure PPM. I am using filtered water that was let sit for a day before using( to let the chlorine evaporate) Each plant received 700ml of water at 1/4 strength nutrient. Somewhat following feed chart and will adjust measurements as plants show any signs of desires or needs.
Screenshot-2017-10-18_GH_FloraNova-DTW_03216am_-_GH_FloraNova-DTW_03216am_1_1_pdf.png

Most problems my plants have shown is 100% decided by my temps. we are currently in some stupid late season heat wave here in socal so my temps peak at about 95 degrees. Not very ideal for my girls but it it what every grower in Socal has to combat. I keep my airflow high so things don't stagnate which has always been my saving grace when it comes to heat management.

Aside from that, my girls have grown quite a bit since my last pictures.
20171017_204010.jpg

Leaf twist and all that is heat issues like I said, it has been cooling off quite a lot at night so hopefully my day temps will start to drop.

#1 By far the strongest girl of the bunch. Biggest leaves, healthiest. all around winner of the bunch. Her node structure is tight and already showing signs of internode growth. She will be topped on Thursday most likely( I plan on topping all of them considering I am trying to make mothers) I am just waiting for a few more nodes before I top.

#2 second strongest of the bunch, she has bigger fan leaves than #1 but is more inclined to twisting caused my heat. Fast growth and also tight node structure. Just the way I like it. She is a little slower than #1 but we shall see where she is by Thursday, if she has better growth by then, I will top her as well.

#3 Where do I start with this one... Smallest of the bunch. Slowest in growth. Heat is really affecting her most. twisting and stunted for sure. However, it is not fully the fault of the strain or the weather. I blame issues I faced during transplant. As I had problems with the peat starter medium, it had crumbled and roots were disturbed quite a bit during transplant. She is a trooper and I have faith that she will catch up.

#4 Another Victim of transplant shock. she was the second one that had hard time transplanting. the medium just was a hassle all around when transplanting. Next time I will use(if I use peat) the jiffy starters that have a biodegradable bag, seems like a better option. most likely will just use rapid rooter start plugs but it's hard to pass up saving money. nonetheless, she is staying short and node spacing is tight.

Final Thoughts

All in all, I am overall happy with these girls. I would have preferred being able to have all 6 seeds that I started, be alive and well but as many before me have said "Shit Happens' and no truer words have been spoken. We can try but we can't plan for everything. All we can do is stay positive and look at the bright side of things.I am having issues uploading more photos for some reason so I will try again tomorrow with more pics of each plant and some close ups. That's all I got for now.

Keep It Spicy
ToG

Update Oct 22, 2017

So Today I decided to top 3 of the 4 girls.( I said I was going to on Thursday but I got extremely busy) I thought, why not drop a few pictures. So here we go!

Florida Gold #1 & #2​
20171022_104627.jpg

20171022_104641.jpg

Florida Gold #1
20171022_104702.jpg

20171022_104711.jpg

Florida Gold #2
20171022_104725.jpg

Florida Gold #3 & #4
20171022_104814.jpg

20171022_104821.jpg

20171022_104839.jpg

20171022_104842.jpg

Florida Gold #3
20171022_104857.jpg

Florida Gold #4
20171022_104920.jpg

#1 and #2 both are growing like champs. Tight node structure and showing plenty of internode growth. It seems like all these girls want to be topped and LST considering how much growth they have between nodes.
#3 is still showing sign of stress caused most likely by transplant and heat issues. however lanky leaves and and how wide she is , showing more sativa traits, at least in growth phase.
#4 still the weakest of the bunch, did not get topped like the other three, I will wait for a few more nodes before I top her. She is looking way healthier now but still seems like she is about a week behind the others, in terms of size.
20171022_121537.jpg

Most Likely around the end of November a few things will happen. I will most likely add 1 more LED to the tent since the canopy will be a little more dense, and they will all be transplanted to 3 Gallon pots. I may have to adjust the hangers on the LED since they are kinda long and my vertical space is very limited( I have a 2x2x4 grow tent. ) Ill shorten the hangers and rely more on the adjustable ratchet hangers. Time will tell but for now, I'll keep it simple. That is all I have for now, I'll give a better in depth update on Tuesday, few things I need to go over( Medium , Nutrients and Ph. etc etc. )

Keep It Spicy
ToG

Nice work, everything works out in the end, way to stay positive. I am a bit behind myself but it will be ok.

:passitleft:

Thanks bud! Life is way to short to be stressed out about everything. I do what I can to keep it positive, considering there is so much in this world to be upset about. Growing has been a long time hobby of mine and I can be nothing but happy when I see the progress these girls have made. One day at a time I always say. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom