In the market for full spectrum LEDs or CMH

Been in the hobby for about 5 years. Always had a digital ballast (iPower 1000, Apollo 600) Ushio, Hortilux Bulbs; along with 4-4ft T5 for early Veg. But I'm in need of an Upgrade and have been super impressed with Top Shelf Full Spectrum L.E.D.'s as well as the new Ceramic Metal Halide's.​
i.e.​
Electric Sky s300​
Unit Farm Water-Proof IP 65 Cree​
maybe get 2?​
Main Grow Space: 4.5 x 4.5 x 8 . (Intake Fans and Exhaust fans with Carbon Filter.)​
Extra Tent: 2ft x 4ft x 7ft​
I also like what CMH's do. Low Wattage, Full Spectrum Bulbs, love it.​
Just confused as to what to get ?​
is One Electric Sky better than 2 Unit Farm Bars? Should i go with 1 bar and a couple of Ceramic Halides from Yield Lab?​
Im pretty indecisive as to what to upgrade to. I pretty much want the same coverage of 1,000 watts with les wattage consumption and something flexible to move in and out from main grow room to Tent.​
Also, ive heard some good things from Blurple L.E.D's but I'm not %100 trustworthy of a lot of Chinese products out there.​
I heard MEIZHI is a top contender in the low shelf L.E.D's along with Viparspectra. UGH! So many Choices!!!​
My budget caps off at $700.​
Thank you all in advance for your input.​
- SAM.​

Also ... QUANTUM BOARDS! this one sparked my interest.​
Horticulture Lighting Group 320 Watt XL Quantum Board LED Kit V2​
maybe pair that up with a CMH?​
but then ... the boards may not be full spectrum. May need one for Veg and another for Flower??!!​

I would recommend two Electric Sky 180's (or 300's if you want some extra UMPH to your yields) with a 315 Wattt Ceramic Metal Halide in the centre at 4200K for extra Blue and UV production for the 4.5' by 4.5'. This configuration would be used for both Veg and Bloom, with the added bonus of relatively equal distance between the canopy and the three lights. I was able to push 2 Electric Sky 180's in a 5' by 5' room yielding 2 ounces of AAA bud and an ounce of resin rich trim per plant. I am currently using one of my ES 180's in a 2' by 4' tent to increase the PPF with the tight walls, but will be running a grow journal on the dual ES 180 and 315 Watt CMH once I harvest next month. If you are looking at lighting up the 2' by 4' you best make sure you have extra canopy space for whatever light you end up using, I had initial issues with the Electric Sky 180 in a 5' tall tent, definitely go for +6' tall.

If you are into DIY, you can build the HLG qb96elite 360 v2 for around $350.

It’s just two qb96elite v2 engines and a Meanwell HLG-320H-54a driver.

A couple pieces of 3/4x3/4x1/8” aluminum angle, some 18ga solid wire, a plug end, and Your in business. This will rock in a 2x4.

If heat is a concern, the heatsinks do put off some heat, but the driver can be mounted outside

As you can see this setup also pushes much harder than 320 watts. Zoom in to the meter to see the specs, split between two boards, besides watts.

If you are into DIY, you can build the HLG qb96elite 360 v2 for around $350.

It’s just two qb96elite v2 engines and a Meanwell HLG-320H-54a driver.

A couple pieces of 3/4x3/4x1/8” aluminum angle, some 18ga solid wire, a plug end, and Your in business. This will rock in a 2x4.

If heat is a concern, the heatsinks do put off some heat, but the driver can be mounted outside

As you can see this setup also pushes much harder than 320 watts. Zoom in to the meter to see the specs, split between two boards, besides watts.

Which wattmeter did you use? I thought those ones were for AC applications. Im looking for something similar to measure actual draw of 2 LED drivers.

Yesterday i finally updated this post on a different forum site:

I pretty much got the Qb96 rig set up with a 480-54a.

It took a while for the plants to really respond to the new spectrum, im not sure why, but now they seem to love it.

Now Everything is in a 5x5 along with a Viparspectra 1200 (531watts off the wall).

Wow. 154 degrees ?? I was freaking out when it reached 120. Got a clip on fan for one Engine, which lowered the temp to 100, then and i placed the duct from my outdoor intake and placed it close to the other Engine, which then lowered the temp down to 89.

I have the Driver set at 420 watts so 210 per Engine.

I would recommend two Electric Sky 180's (or 300's if you want some extra UMPH to your yields) with a 315 Wattt Ceramic Metal Halide in the centre at 4200K for extra Blue and UV production for the 4.5' by 4.5'.

Dude, I've literally daydreamt about a setup like this for some time now. Since the Viparspectra is not mine, I essentially only have this Elite QB rig and i Don't think im ever going back to HPS.

When i first Started this project, I first ordered my Driver from arrow.com. They sent the wrong Version of the 480H-54a. It didn't have the A (Adjustable=dimming). Not sure why, but they allowed me to keep the Diver along with a full refund. So with this driver laying around here, I plan to build another identical rig and have a 315CMH Phillips in between the 2 rigs.

I'm scared of electricity
but I have friends who are Electricians
I get them to build for me
Sweet! YouTUbe was very helpful, as were rubber gloves and pretty much just common sense. I never fuck around when it comes to exposed wire and shit. Scares the shit outa' me. Also, went through your gallery, and saw that blue QB board.AT what spectrum temp did you get it? is it a 288 or 304?

If you are looking at lighting up the 2' by 4' you best make sure you have extra canopy space for whatever light you end up using, I had initial issues with the Electric Sky 180 in a 5' tall tent, definitely go for +6' tall.
One of Quictent's 2' x 4's is 84" (7 foot) but does take some searching to find it (their 6 footer is easy to find). I paid around $100 for one.
That extra foot is nice to have.

Back
Top Bottom