In the process of getting MMJ

botflinger

Hello everyone! I'm 62 years old and have had bipolar disease since I was 20. I am stable on my medication and have not been in the hospital for ten years. My problem is I still feel depressed, not suicidal as I have many times in the past, I want a better quality of life. I have not used marijuana in about 15 years, but I remember how good I used to feel when I could get my hands on some. I have my doctor's appointment tomorrow for a recommendation. My sister says she will disown me if I start to use MMJ, she is my only relative besides her grown kids and my 90 year old father. I hope I am doing the right thing. My shrink says he doesn't recommend that I begin using marijuana, but leaves it up to me. All I want is to feel a little joy in my life. I don't intend to stop my medication as i think that would cause me to become unstable and run the risk of a psychiatric hospitalization again. There is some anecdotal evidence that marijuana may be a mood stabilizer. But I really don't want to become unstable again after 10 years of stability. I would look forward to hear from anyone about this. :thanks:

botflinger :welcome: Hello to you friend! Sad your sister does not understand your just looking for better well being. Being 62 that is well deserved! IMO! What is the purpose of sharing this information with her if she offers no support:shhh:? Like you said you are searching for a little joy in your life, YOUR LIFE! Please stick around 420 for more than support in your quest to try Cannabis we offer Much friendship and understanding. We believe that Cannabis is a great plant with many great effects to improve and help enjoy life. Without the many side affects the Man Made Meds are known to contain. I would explain to the Doc tomorrow that you do not need another pill to pop, which he may strongly suggest. We all here will help find you help if this Doc ends up not being in your Corner! Others will, he needs to work for you not the PILL companies. Is far is Cannabis there are many kinds, that effect you differently. Try Indicas Strains known to produce a Calming effect. Read and research here at 420. And of coarse any questions! Please ask anything. We will be watching out for you and looking forwarded in hear more from you! The Very Best Regards! :peace:

hey there, my brother is bi polar, i have had to put him the hospital at least once, and similar to you, so long as he stays on his meds he is ok, but as is the nature of bipolar even on meds you have your down days, on those days me and my brother light one up and watch something like The Simpsons and then we can just giggle and be happy. I have depression too, and sometimes, even temporary happiness is something that will help make you happy again, or at least get you out of the depression.

Personally i started smoking first after my mom sujested i try for my headaches and migraines. i think if you have depression you need to be on the right meds for you, but at the same time if you are like me, i dont want to go on too strong a dose, especially when the dose i am at now works most of the time. For those odd bad days, when the depression hits me for no apparent reason, there is nothing better then being able to have a smoke and forget the problems and just be happy for a bit.

moderation is the key of course, but do what will make you happy, just make sure that you keep your meds at a good level and dont stop taking them because the weed makes you feel happy.

Thanks hipkatt, I was definitely planning to stay on my meds, and use a moderate amount of marijuana. I am a little worried about having a lapse in good judgement, and getting to think that because I feel so good, that I don't need my meds anymore. I have been stable for 10 years and knock wood, not been hospitalized. I just don't want to lapse into poor judgement and do something stupid, I think I am mature enough to recognize the warning signs, not wanting to go to sleep, spending money recklessly etc. That I would be smart enough to cut back on the weed or even stop for a while till I got stable again. How long has it been since your brother was in the hospital? Does he ever have the desire to quit taking his meds? Thanks again!

we share a common ground my friend, i have battled schizophrenia through out my life and find myself stable for more then 4 years now i smoke marijuana on a daily basis, and i contribute all my success to that, and will power.
you are making the right choice if that's the choice you are making for yourself, live your life my friend, your loved ones will love you for who you are, it hurts to hear a sister can say that, but i can only imagine its through a fear for your health and safety, and out of love.
best wishes to you!

Back
Top Bottom