Incredible Bulk X 4 - Grow Journal

GrowingAt53

Hey folks,

Thanks for stopping by my grow journal for my next crop, Dr. Krippling's Incredible Bulk. This time around I'm going full tilt and planted 4 feminized IB seeds I got from Herbies (they really rock!) and got 4/4 germinated. Can't beat that! Anyway, here are the first 8 days of their lives, along with the nutes and ratios I'm using.

Great White root enhancer first two weeks after transfer to bucket and first two weeks of flowering.
AN 3 part system Micro, Grow and Bloom weekly
AN Sensi Cal/Mag weekly
Hydroguard weekly
AN Big Bud and Overdrive during flowering.
AN Flawless Flush last week of flowering.

Day 1 - July 5 2016

Started a new grow today with 4 seeds of Incredible Bulk (IB). First I rolled the seeds in Great White and then placed each seed in a Rapid Rooter in a 10oz. cup filled with hydroton and spring water, topped with a soda bottle humidity dome. Placed all 4 cups into the 3x3 grow tent and placed each one on top of its respective net pot lid, all under the 600w full-spectrum LED grow light. The plan is to let the seedlings grow for about a week or and then transfer into the net pots.

Temp - 81 degrees.

Day 2 - July 6 2016

Nothing much to report. Temperature constant at 81.

Day 3 - July 7 2016

Took a peek under the "lid" I made to cover the hole in the Rapid Rooters. Just wanted to make sure the seeds weren't duds. They've all sprouted and should pop thru tomorrow or even later today. Temperature constant at 81.

Day 4 - July 8 2016

Huge night. IB-2 and IB-3 popped and both are 1" tall. IB-4 also popped but isn't as tall. All three have their cotyledons exposed as well as the first set of leaves. IB-1 flipped the rooter lid off and should unfurl later today. Temperature constant at 81.

Day 5 - July 9 2016

Success! IB-1 popped and has caught up to her sisters. All 4 seedlings look great. Will probably transplant to net pots on Monday. Nice to have 4 seeds germinate with no loses. So far, this strain is living up to it reputation. Temperature constant at 81.

Day 6 - July 10 2016

They're looking good. Much better results this time around starting them in the tent under the grow light from the get go. Temperature constant at 81.

Day 7 - July 11 2016

All of the rooters have roots coming out of them so decided to transplant all 4 into their net pots (IB-1 & IB-2 in the front and IB-3& IB-4 in the back). Attached and secured my new and improved HydroSCROG to its net pot cradles and then attached the HydroSCROG to two pairs of adjustable hangers for hands free use. My improved design includes a mylar skin for all of the PVC pipes and the net pot lids. It should help more light get to lower parts of the plants. Started them off in 5 gal buckets with 3 gal of spring water with the following nutes: 1/3 tsp. of Great White, 24ml Hydroguard, 12ml of each of Micro, Grow, Bloom and Cal/Mag. The PPM is a bit higher than expected but I'm also using more nutes this time around so I'm guessing that accounts for it. Placed humidifier in the tent set on high. Placed the oscillating clip fan on the SCROG, blowing a slight breeze over the tops of the plants. The light is hanging 12" from the tops of the tallest plant. Humidifier set on Hi and tent RH is 54%. Temp 81.

image14512.jpeg

image14511.jpeg

Day 8 - July 12 2016. TODAY

It appears that they've all survived the transplant and the addition of nutes. IB-2 is the tallest of the bunch. IB-3 and IB-4 are pretty much the same size. IB-1 is the runt of the litter but making a strong comeback. She'll catch up in height by next week. All 4 have their first set of leaves growing larger with the next set just visible (barely on IB-1, but there too). Sprayed them with some RO water to keep the plants and rooters moist. RH 54% Temp 81

Okay, you're all caught up. Journal entries will be made daily going forward.

Ciao for now

Thanks for dropping by! Here's today's update:

Day 9 - July 13 2016

Not much growth overnight. I noticed the rooters were a little dry even with the RH in the tent at 58% so I checked to see if the roots had made it to the bucket yet but they hadn't. So, I changed the RO water spray to RO nute water spray (1 liter of RO water with 2ml Hydroguard and 1ml each of Micro, Grow, Bloom and Cal/Mag). I sprayed the rooters until they were soaked and also sprayed the surrounding hydroton so that it drips down to existing roots. I've decided on names for my girls (rather than numbers) and will refer to them by their new given names. IB-1 aka Lucy, IB-2 aka Ethel, IB-3 aka Wilma and IB-4 aka Betty.

Here they are:

LUCY
image14548.jpeg

ETHEL
image14549.jpeg

WILMA
image14550.jpeg

BETTY
image14551.jpeg

Group shot
image14552.jpeg

Morning all! Here's today's update:

Day 10 - July 14 2016

Nice growth overnight. Ethel is the strongest of the bunch. She's still a bit taller than Wilma and Betty and an inch taller than Lucy. She's also the first of the girls to have her roots reach the nute water bubbling below her. Plenty of root growth on the other girls too but they're still stretching to the nute water. Ethel, Wilma and Betty all have fully formed 2nd set of leaves while Lucy is still pushing hers out little by little. Lucy looks perfectly healthy, just a bit slow. Sprayed all of them with nute water solution and re-wet all of the rooters and hydroton.

RH is 55%. Temp is 82/79 (hi/low)

Will post more pix tomorrow and demonstrate how my HydroSCROG lifts and stays in place hands-free so that I can check what's going on in the buckets (level check the nute water, check the PPM and Ph) while the girls are suspended above.

Stay tuned...

Lovely strain to grow and train done this a few times
Once they are up n going u should have a nice ones
Be bids to see the net full tidy set u have to
Good luck

Thanks Marleynme. I'm really excited about this grow. How'd you do yours? Soil or DWC.

Sorry about not posting yesterday. Got a bit crazy here and couldn't log on to post our progress. I did however write in my journal so I've got everything there. Here are yesterday's and today's entries plus new pictures.

Day 11 - July 15 2016

The 2nd set of leaves are much larger on Ethel, Wilma and Betty. Lucy's have gotten larger too given her overall size. I noticed that Lucy's rooter keeps drying out quicker than the rest. I think it's from the fan being positioned over her. I moved the fan to the rear support bar on the HydroSCROG, positioned between Wilma and Betty and oscillating back and forth so that there's a slight breeze blowing over all of the stems. I dug around the hydroton in Lucy's net pot and saw good root growth but not yet reaching the bottom so I removed some of the hydroton and placed the rooter closer to the bottom so that the roots have a shorter distance to travel to the nute water bubbling below. She now sits about an inch lower but I'm hoping an enhanced root system will help compensate her early slow development. Ethel is still the only one with a root in the nute water and I'd say it's tripled in length since reaching it. I also see a distinct difference in the shape of the leaves. These have a wide bottom and then taper to an end. I'll take some pictures to show what I mean. I'll also post pics of the HydroSCROG and show how it allows me to lift and suspend the girls in mid air.

Day 12 - July 16 2016

The humidifier ran out of water sometime before I came and check on the girls this morning and it brought the RH down to mid 40's. No worries. All is still good. Lucy is looking much better since I moved her closer to the nute water. Her 2nd set of leaves are much larger overnight. Ethel has sprouted more roots thru the bottom of the net pot and Trixie is catching up with two strands that popped thru overnight and literally grew 4" into the nute water. Not concerned that Alice and Lucy haven't reached the nute water yet. They both look fine and will probably reach the water by tomorrow. Also, Lucy's rooter isn't as dry as it was which I think is a combination of moving her down lower in the net pot and moving the fan. All in all, I'm very pleased.

Lucy - Day 12. Looking much better and better formed 2nd set of leaves.
image14678.jpeg

Ethel - Day 12. She's gonna be big.
image14679.jpeg

Ethel's roots
image14683.jpeg

Alice - Day 12. Nice and healthy.
image14680.jpeg

Trixie - Day 12. Gonna give Ethel a run for her money.
image14682.jpeg

Trixies roots
image14684.jpeg

The HydroSCROG in the up position - HANDS FREE!!
image14685.jpeg

Group shot
image14686.jpeg

Thanks SP! Am I showing my age by using those names??? How funny though that Ethel and Trixie are the stronger ones in this scenario?

LOL

Crazy weekend here so wasn't able to post yesterday but here are yesterday's and today's journal entries.

Day 13 - July 17 2016

Humidifier ran out of water again but all is good. Lowered the setting so the water lasts overnight. Wow, what a difference a day makes! All four girls have their 3rd set of leaves including Lucy! I resisted the urge to raise the HydroSCROG to check and see if Lucy and Alice have roots in the nute water. Pretty sure they have based on growth but will confirm tomorrow morning.

RH - 40%. Temp - 81/79

Day 14 - July 18 2016

More growth overnight. I lifted the HydroSCROG to check and see if roots from Alice and Lucy reached the nute water and saw that only Alice made it and she's got 2 or 3 strands that are about 5" long. Lucy still looks healthy and while growing slower than the rest, her leaves are developing. I sprayed her with nute water and soaked the hydroton to make sure her roots are being hydrated. Alice, Trixie and Ethel are stretching upwards at a good pace. All 3 of them have their leaves about level with the top of the net pot.

RH - 50%. Temp - 81/79

Here's today's update:

Day 15 - July 19 2016

These girls are gonna be beasts. The fan leaves are so wide. I know Indica's have rounder leaves but ths is crazy. They really had a great night, even Lucy, who's roots finally reached the nute water. While it's only 2 little strands, I expect she'll have a growth spurt now that she's drinking on her own. I did however spray down her rooter and hydroton just to make sure she's hydrated. The other girls all have nice root systems developing with Ethel leading the pack, followed by Trixie and then Alice. I can really see the difference in root development using the Great White and the Hydroguard. It's like once they reach the nute water, they start growing like mad. Can't wait to see what Lucy looks like tomorrow.

RH - 51%. Temp - 81/79

I'll be here to keep an eye on your grow. I currently have 4 incredible bulks going planted about a week before yours it will be good to compare results

Awesome. It'll be good to have a comparison. What are you growing in? Soil, coco, dwc?

I'm growing 40/40 Fox Farm/coco coir 15 wormex 5 vermeculite. Stop by my yard link is in sig

Cool. Yeah, I just read your journal. Post some more pics of your IB's. Would love to see how bushy they've gotten.

I'm going to take some more pix and post in a bit. I need to use something to give perspective so I can illustrate how crazy big these early leaves are.

Cool. Yeah, I just read your journal. Post some more pics of your IB's. Would love to see how bushy they've gotten.

I'm going to take some more pix and post in a bit. I need to use something to give perspective so I can illustrate how crazy big these early leaves are.

yea I just noticed that the IB's didnt get much shine in the update. I'll correct that in the next update. one of the IB's is my tallest plant at just under 2'

Here are pix taken just a few minutes ago.

Little Lucy
image14766.jpeg

Check out Ethel's wide fan leaves
image14767.jpeg

Wilma looking good
image14768.jpeg

Betty almost as big as Ethel
image14769.jpeg

Current conditions
image14770.jpeg

That's all for now.

Welcome xave!

Apologies all. Re-read my posts and realize I've been mixing up the names of my back row girls. I must've had the Honeymooners on my brain when I started calling Wilma and Betty by Alice and Trixie.

For the record, I'll be sticking with Wilma and Betty.

Sorry about that. Must've smoked too much of my last grow, Red Dragon. Now that stuff give you couch lock and amnesia!

Another great night!

Day 16 - July 20 2016

As expected, Lucy had a nice growth spurt yesterday. Amazing how fast they grow once they can feed themselves. Her leaves are easily 25% larger than yesterday. Lucy also had another root strand reach the nute water. Since keeping her rooter and hydroton moist are no longer an issue, I placed the clip fan back in its original position in the corner over Lucy. Ethel continues to dominate but Wilma and Betty are right behind her. Based on their growth so far, I believe at least the 3 big girls will have reached the bottom of the HydroSCROG net within the next few days. I also plan on topping them at the 4th node which should be by next week. I have a strong feeling that I'll be doing some massive defoliation about 2 weeks into flowering.

RH - 54% Temp - 81/79 PPM - 500 (will include from now on)

Pix of Lucy's growth to follow.

Day 17 - July 21 2016

Checked root growth and saw amazing system on Ethel, Wilma and Betty. Seriously, they've each got a nice set of roots hanging down and intertwining into a root ball. Lucy extended a few more roots into the water and continues to grow at her own pace. She's got 3 sets of leaves and is beginning to slowly stretch upwards. Given that her rooter is about an inch closer to the bottom of the net pot, she's got even more to make up for when it comes to height. She's also a set of leaves behind the others. Ethel, Wilma and Betty all have their first set of leaves above the net pots with sets 2 and 3 above set 1. The 4th set is visible on all 3 of them and are just developing. This is the node that will get topped once I see the 5th set of leaves appear. Bottom line, everything is going great. No nute burn, no light burn, and fantastic growth. IB is an awesome strain that is very hearty. Even Lucy, with her slower growth I still have high expectations. Maybe she'll be like the tortoise: slow and steady wins the race!

RH - 50%. Temp 81/77. PPM - 550

Back
Top Bottom