Indica Inda Closet: Red's First Grow Journal

RedZedHead

Hey everybody. I originally came to this site looking for information about how to start up a DWC grow, and a week and a half later, I'm ready to start my first journal. I've learned countless amounts from other journals so I can't wait to finally make my own. I'll probably be spending a lot of time writing here.
I prefer Indica, to calm my anxiety and to relax my IBS. I also mix CBD flower with my cannabis when I smoke it, which I usually buy from CBD hemp direct. I want to grow my own, and I've had wild success with Cherry Wine CBD harvesting just over a half-ounce. Unfortunately, I don't have pics. :(

I will underline any questions I have, maybe some wise elders can answer them in replies.

Setup
I'll be using fox farms for the nutes in my DWC buckets.
1587396742195.png

I bought two of these buckets from Atwater Hydroponics on Amazon:
1587396430955.png

There were cheaper options, but from what I was reading on the reviews many (likely) cannabis growers were complaining about the pump lacking in power and the roots still getting tangled.
I had to pay 20$ in shipping each, but I wanted a kit with everything in it. Atwater also sells just the bucket top and basket. If I'm going to expand my DWC system I'm going to go with those and pick up 5G buckets from the hardware store.
1587396638531.png

Not sure about the nutes they're including. are they any good?
I'll be working with my 2000w Koscheal LED for my Veg closet because I don't have anything flowering as of now, and I have 3 4-week old girls vegging right now. I also have 2 more 1000w LEDs if I need them, and I'm using a 600w Hystorm LED for my basil plants in the other closet. Pictures will come in the following posts. LEDs are my only option, I don't want to cut a hole in the closet wall/ door for ventilation. a fan on medium pointed at the light seems to do the trick.
I have been thinking about maybe getting a tower fan for when they get big?

I have been recently having just my veg light on the 2000w because as the summer approaches that closet will get very hot with both VEG and BLOOM on. I shouldn't worry about my plants not getting enough light right? I keep the light approx 24" in from the top set of leaves, the manufacturer's recommendation.

Sprouting & Strains
I'm pretty old fashion, but I have adopted new methods and knowledge to sprout my seeds.
This grow will include:
2 Cherry Blossom CBD in soil (they sprouted this morning) from Blue forest farms
1 Northern lights auto in DWC from Grower's Choice
1 Northern lights auto in soil
1 Critical purple auto in DWC also from GC
1 critical purple auto in soil
3 unknown females found in friends' flower

Here are the cherry blossom babies
Here are the 3 or 4-week old unknowns
I use a Vivosun heat mat as well as a 6 cell plastic seedling pot with a cover to control the humidity, here's a better pic off amazon
1587398065606.png

I will use Rockwool inside the 6 cell pot to sprout the DWC plants, but the Rockwool gets their own cells, free of soil. What do you guys think of this?

I use espoma seed starter, it's free of big woodchips or sticks, etc. and it's fluffy texture holds water like no other. I often don't have to water seedlings until taking them out of the 6 cell pot. My cannabis and CBD seeds have no problem sprouting in 36-48 hours.
1587397896852.png

I used to give seeds 18 hrs of light as soon as I put them in the soil. I read that I should leave them in the dark until they sprout. So i put the heat mat in our usually dark living room and voila.

My next post will be me setting up the buckets, hopefully, I receive my seeds soon. Thanks, everybody for reading, everybody has been so supportive ever since I joined and I have learned so much. Happy 4-20-20. Blaze on. :blunt:

Hey everybody. I originally came to this site looking for information about how to start up a DWC grow, and a week and a half later, I'm ready to start my first journal. I've learned countless amounts from other journals so I can't wait to finally make my own. I'll probably be spending a lot of time writing here.
I prefer Indica, to calm my anxiety and to relax my IBS. I also mix CBD flower with my cannabis when I smoke it, which I usually buy from CBD hemp direct. I want to grow my own, and I've had wild success with Cherry Wine CBD harvesting just over a half-ounce. Unfortunately, I don't have pics. :(

I will underline any questions I have, maybe some wise elders can answer them in replies.

Setup
I'll be using fox farms for the nutes in my DWC buckets.
1587396742195.png

I bought two of these buckets from Atwater Hydroponics on Amazon:
1587396430955.png

There were cheaper options, but from what I was reading on the reviews many (likely) cannabis growers were complaining about the pump lacking in power and the roots still getting tangled.
I had to pay 20$ in shipping each, but I wanted a kit with everything in it. Atwater also sells just the bucket top and basket. If I'm going to expand my DWC system I'm going to go with those and pick up 5G buckets from the hardware store.
1587396638531.png

Not sure about the nutes they're including. are they any good?
I'll be working with my 2000w Koscheal LED for my Veg closet because I don't have anything flowering as of now, and I have 3 4-week old girls vegging right now. I also have 2 more 1000w LEDs if I need them, and I'm using a 600w Hystorm LED for my basil plants in the other closet. Pictures will come in the following posts. LEDs are my only option, I don't want to cut a hole in the closet wall/ door for ventilation. a fan on medium pointed at the light seems to do the trick.
I have been thinking about maybe getting a tower fan for when they get big?
Here's my Koscheal 2000w LED off of amazon:

I have been recently having just my veg light on the 2000w because as the summer approaches that closet will get very hot with both VEG and BLOOM on. I shouldn't worry about my plants not getting enough light right? I keep the light approx 24" in from the top set of leaves, the manufacturer's recommendation.

Sprouting & Strains
I'm pretty old fashion, but I have adopted new methods and knowledge to sprout my seeds.
This grow will include:
2 Cherry Blossom CBD in soil (they sprouted this morning) from Blue forest farms
1 Northern lights auto in DWC from Grower's Choice
1 Northern lights auto in soil
1 Critical purple auto in DWC also from GC
1 critical purple auto in soil
3 unknown females found in friends' flower

Here are the cherry blossom babies
Here are the 3 or 4-week old unknowns
I use a Vivosun heat mat as well as a 6 cell plastic seedling pot with a cover to control the humidity, here's a better pic off amazon
1587398065606.png

I will use Rockwool inside the 6 cell pot to sprout the DWC plants, but the Rockwool gets their own cells, free of soil. What do you guys think of this?

I use espoma seed starter, it's free of big woodchips or sticks, etc. and it's fluffy texture holds water like no other. I often don't have to water seedlings until taking them out of the 6 cell pot. My cannabis and CBD seeds have no problem sprouting in 36-48 hours.
1587397896852.png

I used to give seeds 18 hrs of light as soon as I put them in the soil. I read that I should leave them in the dark until they sprout. So i put the heat mat in our usually dark living room and voila.

My next post will be me setting up the buckets, hopefully, I receive my seeds soon. Thanks, everybody for reading, everybody has been so supportive ever since I joined and I have learned so much. Happy 4-20-20. Blaze on. :blunt:
look interesting, I'll ride along.

Here's a quick update. I got my buckets and set them up. my lack of patience made me plant 2 random females into gro-blocks included, then I just placed them in one of the domes without the 6 cell insert. I'll post pics when they sprout.
Here's my first space struggle, but I have a half-empty flower closet and a tent on standby. still waiting for the seeds. probably at least another week.

On the other hand, the cherry blossom CBD almost outgrew the dome within 24 hrs of sprouting.
I pretty much ate my words from the first post
I often don't have to water seedlings until taking them out of the 6 cell pot.
I had to water them last night because the shorter one was falling over from dehydration. I guess they drank it all! she popped back up in no time. I'm probably giving them more water next time they wake.
I learned about pot elevators the other day on a thread. I think I'm going to get some cookie cooling racks but until then I just flipped over the bottom of my dome to keep the bottom of my fabric pots vented. you can see this in the above pic.
Thanks for reading, I'd like to see what these people think: @Pennywise @Cannagrowerled @InTheShed @BubbleBucketz @Virgin Ground
I've learned a lot from you folks and I'm curious about your opinion.

I don’t use domes, need to get light on the one in the dome to slow down stretch.
I might have to just remove the dome because there's no way their root system is strong enough to transplant yet.

I don’t generally use dimes unless the rh is like 30% or something really low. My tent is around 45% and this is what my seedling currently look like.

Make sure you don’t let the soil dry out too much. Remember its spring time when seeds sprout and it always raining. If you can’t water more cause your busy I’d transfer it to a solo cup. That’ll take longer to dry out. I tend to start in final pots myself and just water around the seedling. I also tend to keep the top soil wet between watering with seedlings. Not watered but maybe top 1” to the edges. I’d say take that dome off or lower your light. The only reason they stretch is because they think their competing for light

89C827F3-A115-42FA-9C8B-7CF233BCE724.jpeg

76AFB454-CCAA-4F0E-8E75-73D4E8A32682.jpeg

I don’t generally use dimes unless the rh is like 30% or something really low. My tent is around 45% and this is what my seedling currently look like.

Make sure you don’t let the soil dry out too much. Remember its spring time when seeds sprout and it always raining. If you can’t water more cause your busy I’d transfer it to a solo cup. That’ll take longer to dry out. I tend to start in final pots myself and just water around the seedling. I also tend to keep the top soil wet between watering with seedlings. Not watered but maybe top 1” to the edges. I’d say take that dome off or lower your light. The only reason they stretch is because they think their competing for light

89C827F3-A115-42FA-9C8B-7CF233BCE724.jpeg

76AFB454-CCAA-4F0E-8E75-73D4E8A32682.jpeg
I just put the seedlings on top of the bucket in the closet and removed the dome.

Impatiens.
1587766734778.png

A genus of over 1000 different flowering species... Maybe I should grow some because I am very impatient waiting for my seeds. Of course, I understand the springtime mass-ordering delay coupled with COVID makes shipping a mess for seed companies.

Some of my seeds did come, from Blue Forest Farms: Cherry Blossom CBD and they are 4 days old today.
Just a review: I ordered 2 strains, both deep indicas, from Growers Choice.
Northern Lights Auto with 17% THC - said to be high yield and a very well known strain.
Critical Purple Auto with 27% THC - THC roundhouse kick to the face, and I want to try to turn the buds purple during flower.

But I currently have 3 unknown females that are a month old so I'll talk about them.

1587767298639.png

Unknown Progress
The LST is going well with one of the girls, they're starting to show their branches from lower nodes.

However, the other LST lady is not responding well, so I reluctantly topped it and watered around the perimeter because it was dry.
Here is the biggest girl. I think I topped it at the right time to accidentally quadline it? From what I understand this is basically quadlining.
she's getting longer and meatier. Very healthy, :yummy:

I fed the latter 2 yesterday, but I'd like to sync all of their feeding schedules. Until now I've just been giving each individual plant what I think it needs.

Here are the 4 Day old Cherry Blossom CBD, they're drinking a lot of water, I think these ladies are gonna grow quick!

End of the update, still Impatient.
So over the past 2 days, I've been driving myself crazy so I impatiently planted 4 more random fem seeds for DWC use. 2 in rockwool and 2 in gro blocks. here they are.

Oh ya, and there's more. I tried paper towel germination for the first time, check it out.
Thanks, everybody for reading. Fingers crossed for seeds. Grow on Blaze on :blunt:
Here's what I'm listening to. Your plants can grow on for a long time, but sooner or later you gotta cut em down.
View media item 1767803

You have a lot going on, hope they grow fast.
Hopefully, I'm not in over my head a month from now lol.:nervous-guy: I got lights and another closet on standby but I'll have to make a run to the hardware store for more hydro supplies if they have it. I looked for gardening/ hydroponic stores around me but couldn't find anything around this small town.

Update: 4-25-20
All of the random DWC babies have tap roots today and the bottom right is peeking above the surface of the gro block!

I've done a lot of scanning for supplies and it seems that the cheapest and easiest option is to go buy 2 Rubbermaid totes and cut 2 holes in them each for 6-inch net pots. Does anyone know of any solid airstones that I could use for that setup? Could I get away with one air pump for those 2 totes? Let me know what you guys think. I think these two totes will get their own closet:
I will swap out the 600w LED in there now for my 2000w LED currently in my veg closet, then put a 1000w in my veg closet
Gonna have to just harvest the basil in that closet when the time comes. I don't want to set up my tent, I'm currently using it for clothes. :rofl: Moving all those clothes would be a mission lol.
I'm also picking up some highly recommended enzyme cleaner: flying skull to keep the buckets clean. Sounds like bad things happen if you don't have an enzyme cleaner.
1587826502544.png

When those DWC babies get big I'll put a scrog net in there. if the closet isn't deep enough I may have to make new Ideas.
Let me know what you guys think about the airstones and air pump, I've been looking for a while. I'm gonna look for a Rubbermaid DWC DIY thread. Thanks for reading, as always, grow on blaze on. :blunt:

I killed the random lady that didn't respond to LST. I was expecting her to bounce back after I topped her but she's droopy as ever. RIP. No space for her with the DWC buckets. I put one of two CBD seedlings in its place but didn't water it yet because they're about to go to sleep. more updates when they wake up. Here's some pics

notice the difference between my soil (black gold) and the espoma seed starter. :blunt: Grow on Blaze on.

Update 4-27-20
So my impatient seed planting has already caught up with me. The second Rockwool seed shot up soooo much overnight and now I have to put it in pebbles but I'm still waiting on my supplies! I was forced to add it to a bucket, I'll take it out as soon as I get the net pots and pebbles, currently scheduled to get here May 5th. I realize it might have roots by then, So I'm looking forward to your help and ideas during this supplies crunch of mine.
Here's where I'm at with supplies.
Yesterday I went to fleet farm and bought 2 14-gallon Sterlite buckets. I should be able to fit 2 6" net pots in one bucket. Here they are
here's an unconventional screenshot from my amazon order. I'd rather show you than list it all out :rofl:
1588025117413.png
1588025199124.png

So I've got a week to find a place for this rambunctious lady on the right, apologies for the blurple light I really don't want to move these heavy buckets. :rofl:

Can I just keep it in the bucket with the other seedling? will their roots get tangled? will their roots even poke out of the Rockwool by then?
If I shouldn't keep it in the bucket, are there any ideas on what I can jerry-rig and still use the 14-gallon buckets? I don't have any extra pumps or stones until these supplies arrive.

I really look forward to your input. Here's where the other plants are.
the DWC random seed is going to pass that CBD quickly.
I moved my humidifier and air filter up top so I could fit both buckets in the closet.

one last question, should I be freaking out? I don't want to lose that rambunctious lady that stretched overnight, that kind of speed and strength shows promise.
A little worried but what can you do. Thanks for reading. Grow on Blaze on :blunt:

here's some data from the buckets. I don't know what any of this means but maybe you guys do
Bucket 1 with 2 seedlings: EC is 650 and PPM is 550
Bucket 2 with gro block: EC is 612 and PPM is 389
The ph of both buckets is between 5.5 and 6.0 as it should be.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom