Indica vs. Sativa

BadBradBlu

I started this thread to get opinions on this subject and will start it with an observation I made over the weekend:-

I was at a party and had been hitting 2 types of pure sativa the whole day. I was offered a blunt by an old friend and he said it was from an upmarket seed purchased by a third party and shared with my mate who is also a botanist by trade. The result was an indica dom. (4 types of indica in the mix including afgani and a sativa from holland) done well!!! I thought I was all smoked out and would'nt be able to discern the effect of the unusual (for these parts) strain. I noticed that only a few hits sent me upwards and towards heaven! I was stoned off of that hit for the whole night.

My observation :

Sativa s produce an overwhealming and short acting high with psychedelic tendencies which is exhilerating, inspiring and racey. I felt like I was in a video game or a character in an intense movie :whoa: :goof: :trance:

Indica s produce a deep, sedative and LONG lasting stone which is relaxing, comforting and powerfully narcotic in nature. I felt like I was in the womb again after hitting it. :drool: :blalol: :sleep:

So...

Who has had a similar (or different) experience? Is it strain specific or are indicas generally longer lasting and heavier in effect / while sativas seem to produce shorter acting, mind boggling high?

My main area of interest in this thread is: 'the length of the high' of the 2 different species.

Hehe! Comes from so much scientific experimentation :rofl: trial and error I say - practise makes perfect hey! and it sure can't hurt to damn near perfect in the art of cannabis culture as I sure am always going to need good weed! :Rasta:

What I realise is after trying the one, after having not had it for a while, straight after the other - they are both so wonderful in their own way and should not be separated from the smoker as they help to balance the smoker out. I think this means to me that hybrids/mixes with the RIGHT genes - in the right proportions for YOU - is the best you can get.

That is completely normal and most smokers would agree with you. The Sativa contains high levels of THC which is very stimulating but it's effect is somewhat short lived. In contrast, the Indicas contain higher levels of other cannibinols such as CBD which is responsible for a more narcotic "heavy" like stone that lasts longer then the high-THC buzz of the Sativa.

Stoner science at work. :peace:

I don't think it's quite as simple as that, I've smoked mexican sativa's that wouldn't let me sleep for hours after smoking.... and I've smoked indica's that only held a good buzz for about an hour. I think genetics, enviroment, harvest window..... plus many other factors all play an important role.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that...

Yes my statement was mostly a generalization. There will always be some buds that "break the mold" sort of speak. Furthurmore, for those without access to dispensaries where the strain is clearly identified many people are simply left to guess what strain they are smoking and make their own inferneces as to it's origins. :peace:

hm. i don't know if this was a india, sativa, or hybrid, but why do i feel major couchlock, with what feels like a racing heart? and im slightly discombobulated as it took 2 tries to call the right number on my phone. any humble opinions as to whether it was indica or sativa?

also, it was a very bright green homegrown, with not a big concentration of hairs or crystals, but very healthy buds, with nothing but on healthy stem going thru the middle of each bud. very strong smell, but my nose is not a good one, so i couldn't give it any other explanation other than strong enough for me to smell it with bad alergies.

true. I have some anxiety and some sativas send me over the top hyper and paranoid. I had some purple that was cross indica and sativa it was really strong in the head and body but i wasnt jacked up so i think you are right on in your descriptiion. i like sativas on saturday morning

I smoke Sativa during the day and Indicas at night. I think how long the high lasts has to do with the strain mostly and its THC content. However I do notice that while smoking certain indicas...I stay stuck for hours, but with the sativa its a great flight and a quick smooth landing.

That is completely normal and most smokers would agree with you. The Sativa contains high levels of THC which is very stimulating but it's effect is somewhat short lived. In contrast, the Indicas contain higher levels of other cannibinols such as CBD which is responsible for a more narcotic "heavy" like stone that lasts longer then the high-THC buzz of the Sativa.

Stoner science at work. :peace:

My sentiments exactly RooRman :smokin:

I don't think it's quite as simple as that, I've smoked mexican sativa's that wouldn't let me sleep for hours after smoking.... and I've smoked indica's that only held a good buzz for about an hour. I think genetics, enviroment, harvest window..... plus many other factors all play an important role.

Yes very true Spenceje but remember that both of these were harvested at exactly the right time - I am not doubting your experience at all but I noticed that with the sativa I would say the total effect is 3 hours with the comfortable period being 1.5 hours - with that hybrid which was an indica dominant mix the effect lasted at least 5 hours with the comfortable period(optimal high) being 2.5 - 3 hours. I too have smoked a pure indica which lasted shorter than my own sativa but normally the optimum effect of an average indica lasts about 2 hours + - Longer than the average sativa but there are exceptions. We are talking generaly and I think that that hybrid was the longest lasting, uplifting high I have ever had.

hm. i don't know if this was a india, sativa, or hybrid, but why do i feel major couchlock, with what feels like a racing heart? and im slightly discombobulated as it took 2 tries to call the right number on my phone. any humble opinions as to whether it was indica or sativa?

I suspect it was either badly handled when finished or not grown to full maturity if it did'nt have abundant trichomes(crystals) but I would say it was low grade indica if it was couchlock in my opinion cos' that particular stuff I mentioned above which was grown by and obtained by experienced growers so was in fact 90% indica and 10% sativa was by no means couchlock - I could'nt sit down to save my life! :smokin:

I've got some stuff I haven't been able to identify that I am saving for a particularly dry time. It's got purple trichs, has a pungent green aroma and a backnote of skunk. The high is absolutely murderous, unlike any other weed I've owned, and I can't smoke it right before bed because it makes my mind race around.

Hmmm, ya' got me wondering now :cheesygrinsmiley:

I always associated length of high with proper harvesting,
never really thought about species difference.

Me neither MagoMan thats why thought I would ask - but if you think about it Sativa OG Kush is a mix between a sativa(shorter/stimulating) and an indica(longer/sedating) to make something which incorporates the full spectrum of cannabis and is superior to both of the parent stock genes, it is better than the origional plants used to breed it. It is the same with Northern Lights #5 X Haze aswell as the stuff that inspired this thread, all sativa cross indicas, and the desirable part of the high was way longer with these strains for me.

What I realise is after trying the one, after having not had it for a while, straight after the other - they are both so wonderful in their own way and should not be separated from the smoker as they help to balance the smoker out. I think this means to me that hybrids/mixes with the RIGHT genes - in the right proportions for YOU - is the best you can get.

Yes! The advancement in crossing indica and sativa has given us a plethora of different varieties to choose from that are more personalized and more pleasant to smoke.

Yes! The advancement in crossing indica and sativa has given us a plethora of different varieties to choose from that are more personalized and more pleasant to smoke.

Spoken like a true toker! :rollit:

Indeed you do describe sativa/indica very well. I prefer smoking sativa when im out or working but after a long day id rather smoke on some indica and chill.

Back
Top Bottom