Indoor Grow - Home Owners Insurance

4Dutchess

Ive been lucky enough to have an outdoor grow the last couple years and I might go inside. Im wondering how it affects my homeowners ins.? It would suck if it makes it void. Im thinking it might? Anybody know? I cant really call my ins. and ask. Peace

Im not sure if that reply is supposed to be a joke. Actually if your legal the police protect your grow where I live. Now notifying my ins. and mortgage im not too sure about. Theres an outside grow on every block where I live and who knows whats going on inside. My neighbor recently just got his indoor shut down(must of been part of something larger ive been told) Ive got a friend recently grew 99 plants in the mountains and got busted bringing finished product home to a nice neighborhood. The laws are sketchy here but they WANT you indoors for PERSONAL use. AGAIN, at least one house on every block has an OUTDOOR grow going here and trust me the helicopter sees all and it flies daily here in the ghetto.

This question has to be valid. Let me ask a different way, if I have a grease fire on the stove from cooking or my neighbor's house catches fire and starts mine and the fire dept. comes Im wondering if my policy is void because Ive got a small tent set up going in the back bedroom? Theres got to be some homeowners here with an indoor grow that know this answer or have wonderd what if??? Ive heard if youve got a bulb in the kitchen that has got a different wattage than the fixture allows it voids the ins. Anybody know?

Call your insurance company from a phone that's registered to someone else and ask them. If they ask for your name or anything else you're not comfortable giving them, tell them you'd rather not say.

They won't need the details of your policy, it should be a simple yes or no. :thumb:

When I sold my late grandma's house in the "disclosure" paperwork they had two different questions regarding her house being used for a pot grow. Standard questions for a house sale. I asked a friend in the game "whats up with that" he said, it has to do with mold.
I think if i call my/ random ins. agency and ask they will say it depends on your policy.
There has to be indoor grower, homeowners here, that know this answer .

Well, you could either keep waiting for an answer that might never come (any attorneys here from your state?) or you could try.

If they tell you it depends on your policy, ask them what you need and get that policy.

What have you got to lose?

I'd start with finding out if you can do an indoor grow of regular vegetables in your house. Tell them you grow herbs (basil, mint, etc) year round or that you start your garden seedlings indoor in the winter/spring and want to know if that will impact your policy. I suspect it won't.

I'd start with finding out if you can do an indoor grow of regular vegetables in your house. Tell them you grow herbs (basil, mint, etc) year round or that you start your garden seedlings indoor in the winter/spring and want to know if that will impact your policy. I suspect it won't.

This. People do grow other things indoors besides cannabis lol I always tell people I grow heirloom tomatoes, that way they don't ask why I don't keep them outside. The "heirloom" part just makes them think it's fancier.

Just a word of advice...

If you're concerned about whether you're insured or not while growing pot, don't ask them about tomatoes or you might find yourself uninsured in case of a loss.

That's the last I have to say about this.

I think the answer is that its not covered unless the policy includes it. I think the ins. co. will use any means possible not to honor your policy for any reason. It would suck if my policy wasent honored especially if the damage wasent any fault of my own. I asked the grow shop yesterday and he dident know. And I told him "just hope for he best huh" he said thats it. There has to be owners with an indoor grow that have this concern.

Even in a legal state, insurance companies that are insured and backed by Federal funding are not going to honor the policy if the fire can be tracked to an indoor grow. Until the Feds take Cannibus off the drug list, any Fed funded business, insurance company, or bank is not going to want to do business with you. If indoor pot grows are not specifically stated as covered in the policy, you most likely won't get a penny, even if the fire occurred as a result of an oil fire in the kitchen.

Read the exclusions on your homeowner's policy, and come to your own conclusions.

Back
Top Bottom