Indoor Soil - 900 Watt LED - Urkulan Grow Journal Summer 2012

Loial Green

Hi Everyone,

So there is little to no information out there on the web on what I am doing. First of all, I haven't seen anyone giving reviews on these new high powered LED hoods, especially on a light mover. I figured I would start a conversation to share my experiences and hopefully learn from some of you other veterans out there!

I have a successful outdoor run (Santa Cruz Mountains, CA summer 2011) under my belt where I partnered with and was mentored by a 15 year experienced grower. This is my first indoor experience and I am going through a small learning curve. I burned my leaves with too much nutes. Other than that however, things are looking good!

Plants:
IMG_073516.jpg
IMG_074112.jpg
IMG_073714.jpg

Currently, I am in week 5 of flower with my number one strain (Urkulan) from last summer (out of 12 other strains from the clubs that we grew) that I managed to keep going. This strain is about 70 / 30, Indica / Sativa mix (just guessing by how it grows) that is 20+ percent THC and a great yielder, both indoor and out. It smells great, tastes great, looks great and is easy to grow!! After a few generations, these 6 plants were allowed to veg for about 4 months where I let them get completely root bound. Also I have topped these girls 6-8 times in an effort to keep them small to allow for me to get my room built. Outdoor height at full maturity was about 5 feet. Indoor, they are staying around the 3 foot mark, but displaying their sativa branchiness.

Room:
I have converted a 12' x 16' master bedroom into my own gardener's paradise! The attached bathroom serves as my watering room where I keep my reservoir. My EZCloner 60 sits in the bathtub with a t8 hood and there is also a built-in towel, i mean nutrient closet.
IMG_074812.jpg
IMG_074910.jpg
There are 2 of the Hydro Hut 4 x 8 tents (actually about 5x9) that will be up and running. Currently only one is going because I can't afford another light quite yet and my babies are still in veg. Also, in the back I have a 3x6 veg table with two t8 hoods (each hood has 4, 48" bulbs) tied together lengthwise to create a 2' x 8' hood. This table is a 3x6 ebb and flow hydro table that I am using just for water runoff when I'm watering my soil. It can drain into a 5 gal bucket and I can reuse or discard. I know that the table is an overkill, but I got it for $15! I works perfect for what I need and who knows, I might move into hydro once I get the hang of things.
IMG_074415.jpg
IMG_074511.jpg

Ventilation:
Since I am not using HPS, this allows for me to do a closed system without cutting holes or damaging the room. My two tents are ducted together by one 6" Hurricane fan (435 cfm), exhausting right onto my veg table. Each tent has its own Phresh filter rated at 400 cfm. The closet just so happens to have attic access so on the top shelf, I mounted an 8" fan and a huge filter that scrubs the room. There are a total of 6, 12" oscillating fans (2 per tent and 2 on veg table) that keeps the air moving. Temperature in the tent rarely gets higher than 85, but on these hot days, I'll open the bedroom door and the swamp cooler can drop the temp in a matter of 10 min. Also there is a base board heater with its own thermostat for the winter. I don't have any sort of intake filter, but haven't had any bug problems (hopefully won't since I live in the desert). Lastly, it will be easy to incorporate CO2 with my setup but I can't afford to right now.
IMG_074215.jpg
IMG_074315.jpg
IMG_074610.jpg

LED Lights:
The LED hood is from DormGrow.com and is made by G8-LED. All I can find on this LED is that it is using the true 3 watt bulbs at 120 degree angle (I think). This hood puts out a hell of a lot of light, enough to temporarily blind you (everyone looks once). I have it suspended 36" from the top of the canopy and the mover is set to pause for 2 seconds on the sides. This is the fastest setting. Does anyone have any knowledge on the ideal distance from canopy for this light?? I'm just using an educated guess from the little information that's out there. Can it be placed closer since its moving? According to DormGrow's "marketing guru", this light covers a 5'x6' area and is equivalent to a 1500 watt HPS.
IMG_07369.jpg

Pots:
My plants are in 5 gal pots and I was struggling to water them once every week. The best solution to my drainage problem right now however, was to drill a bunch of holes in my current pots (at this point, I'm not going to transplant) and it seems to have helped. I can now water about every 4 or so days and this makes it easier to feed. After doing some research and reading hours upon hours on these forums, I have decided to go with Superoots Air-Pots, which should be here any day.
IMG_074017.jpg

Soil / Nutrients:
My soil is an undiluted Fox Farm Ocean Forest. I love this stuff! The plants thrive and it drains well (in the right pot). Now my mentor was adamant about feeding with both chemical and organics. He would say that chemicals are like steroids and organics were perfume and lipstick. He also preached that I should never spend a lot of money on the veg cycle. That is why I am using t8 hoods instead of t5 and for my chemical nutes, I use miracle grow all purpose. (I know I will catch some flack from some of you on this.) The organic food for veg is Fox Farm Grow Big. Now for flower, I use Super Natural Bloom Terra for chemical and Fox Farm Big Bloom for organic. I am also adding a potash supplement, Maxi Crop Seaweed for organic and Snow Storm Ultra for chemical (to aid in the production of trichomes). For the finishing nutes that I will apply once about 3 weeks from finish, I use MOAB (mother of all bloom) for chemical and Fox Farm's Tiger Bloom for organic.

I hope to be able to water 2-3 times per week once I start using my new pots. This would allow for me to get into a regular feeding schedule. I am currently feeding chemical, then feed organic, then just water and repeating the cycle (sometimes I flush on my "just water" day). I hope to be able to get into a chemical, water, organic, water cycle. Also what are the rules about mixing different nutes?? I have been told to be very careful with this. When I chemical feed, i will mix in the organic maxicrop. When I organic feed, I will mix in the Snow Storm. My logic is that I am never mixing together any synthetic chemicals. How bad am I screwing up? Granted I did burn my plants on my last veg (nitrogen) feeding and had to really flush them, but I think I am just making the mix too strong.

Anyways, that's my story. I have quite a bit of money wrapped into my new hobby and would like any and all advice to help me better what I'm doing. Also if you have any questions for me, I'd be happy to share what I have learned. I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion on feeding technique and I would love to become more educated on the science behind it. I know I have to buy one of those expensive pens where I can measure ppm levels. I am however more interested in conversing about LED experiences since there aren't a lot of us out there working with this new technology. The current 3 and 5 watt bulbs are a whole new animal compared to the lights just a couple of years ago. Also my new favorite strain, Urkulan doesn't have a whole lot of information available on it as well. I will keep this grow journal updated and post current pics. I look forward to this ride!

Here's some better pics of the flowers. This is day 38 of flower. The babies shown earlier in the red plastic cups are 18 days out of the cloner. They are already root bound and need watering everyday. Just ordered my Air Pots and I'll show pics when I use them!

IMG_075311.jpg
IMG_075112.jpg
IMG_075414.jpg

Very nice ... looks like you don't need any advice! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Nice set up SYN ! :thumb:

Love your LEDs...one of our sponsors too!. I see what you mean about the hoods. We are both going to run about the same power too....when we turn then up. Hawaii has the highest electric rates in the country. I run about $565 a month right now. When I turn them on to full power on the 24th...no telling what it will be!:thedoubletake:

Nice table....I now see what you mean about size. Very convenient for watering. He careful about watering with LEDs....the plants do not need that much watering compared to other lights.

I think your going to have a wonderful grow. Wish I had a mentor.....my grows are how I learned. Ruff.

Well wishes for a great grow! :Namaste:

I appreciate it Buckshot! Thanks for stopping by.

Love your LEDs...one of our sponsors too!. I see what you mean about the hoods. We are both going to run about the same power too....when we turn then up. Hawaii has the highest electric rates in the country. I run about $565 a month right now. When I turn them on to full power on the 24th...no telling what it will be!

OMM,
I haven't had a full month's power bill yet with everything running and I'm not looking forward to it. It was about 100 here today and I have been running the swamp cooler non stop all month. I don't think my bill will be nearly as high as yours though, but I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the kind words and all the advice. Air Pots are ordered!

Hi, I'm Grace, I am very very impressed with your set up, lots and lots of room to move around , and a bathroom to boot, you're going to have a wonderful grow, and I'm glad to sub in at the beginning to the end. I give you a grade of 10+./keep up the good work/grace

Hawaii has the highest electric rates in the country. I run about $565 a month right now. When I turn them on to full power on the 24th...no telling what it will be!

I got my first full power bill.......$108.68!!! That's in the heat of summer here in Nevada. Granted I live by myself in a 2 bedroom house, but I've had the swamp cooler running daily. This bill reflects only one LED running along with 3, 4 bulb t8 hoods, 7 fans and the cloner. Very happy!!

Here is an update of my babies 20 days after planting out of the cloner. I can't wait for my 5 liter air pots to get here! I think that these would be huge by now. Even though the roots are sticking out of the holes that I drilled in the bottom of these cups, they appear to be really healthy.
IMG_078316.jpg
IMG_078512.jpg
IMG_078411.jpg

Also I have been working on my tie up system on these girls. I drilled some holes in the top of the pots, zip tied the bamboo tight, and wove some twine around the top of the bamboo to create a trellis of sorts. Now I have provided support (with twist ties) for every branch for when these buds get super heavy, like lead I hope!!! I was also able to manipulate the placement of every flower so nobody is getting shaded by the one above.
IMG_077715.jpg
IMG_077814.jpg
IMG_077915.jpg
IMG_07828.jpg

Drilling those holes in the pots really worked!! It took 5 days for them to dry out, but now they are liking their water about every 3 so I can get a regular feeding schedule going and not have to worry about root rot. Here's some but pics in regular light.
IMG_078111.jpg
IMG_078016.jpg

Thanks Grace. I'm not sure how much of this is an overkill since this is my first time indoor. With my outdoor crop, unless it was directly in the middle of the plant, the kolas better have been tied up or else "snap" and in the dirt. Better safe than sorry I guess. I sure hope these flowers get some girth to them; only one more month to go!!

I got my first full power bill.......$108.68!!! That's in the heat of summer here in Nevada. Granted I live by myself in a 2 bedroom house, but I've had the swamp cooler running daily. This bill reflects only one LED running along with 3, 4 bulb t8 hoods, 7 fans and the cloner. Very happy!!

That sounds great! Love all your clones just waiting to go.:high-five:

That sounds great! Love all your clones just waiting to go.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]:high-five:

Thanks and that is exactly what they are doing.... waiting. I just got an email today from the new company from which I ordered the air pots and they told me that they have been back ordered and hope to ship by the 31st. My poor girls! They were planted in those solo cups on the 4th (their own independence day!) and I know that they are root bound. Probably gonna have to go buy a bunch of the cheap 1 gal plastic pots for them to move into temporarily. I sure hope that growing in these air pots are easier than my efforts to obtain them! Talk about frustrating! There is a certain schedule that I am trying to maintain in an effort to produce as much quantity as possible and this stupid fiasco is costing me valuable time.

That sounds great! Love all your clones just waiting to go.:high-five:

Was that a actual meter reading or an estimated one? I thought my bill had not gone up too much that first month, until the next month's bill showed the actual reading, I think I am paying about 120.00, maybe a little less now, but hard to tell with the air conditioning going, I saw my meter spinning real fast the other day, it was my electric dryer running, luckily I run my lights at night. I would love to have some solar panels installed when I need a new roof next year. Just hopeful wishing/grace

Thanks and that is exactly what they are doing.... waiting. I just got an email today from the new company from which I ordered the air pots and they told me that they have been back ordered and hope to ship by the 31st. My poor girls! They were planted in those solo cups on the 4th (their own independence day!) and I know that they are root bound. Probably gonna have to go buy a bunch of the cheap 1 gal plastic pots for them to move into temporarily. I sure hope that growing in these air pots are easier than my efforts to obtain them! Talk about frustrating! There is a certain schedule that I am trying to maintain in an effort to produce as much quantity as possible and this stupid fiasco is costing me valuable time.

Aha Man that Sucks. That sure put you in a spot! Good luck.

I still oder my airpots from England. Doesn't take long and in the end they cost about the same. They never run out of them since they are the manufactures. After this grow. I may just order some more 3.3 gallon ones.

Sorry my friend.

Grace,
I didn't pay attention if that was a meter reading. I think that it was because the power company just switched my house to one of those smart meters. I have been running my light for 6 weeks now, so I am assuming that this would be a reflection of a full month. Even at $120, that's awesome. I'm thinking that once I get my other light going, I should be in the 140-150 range, which works for me!

OMM,
You're right, I probably should have order from England. I know the site that you have recommended on other blogs. I just didn't want to have to worry about shipping over seas, but I would have had it by now. I'll do that next time. The good news is I'm going with the 3.3 instead of the 5.2. Sometimes you lose the big battles but win the small!

Spider Mites!!!!! It seems like no matter where I go, all of us growers are guaranteed to get these pests. Since my babies are root bound, I wasn't able to keep up with their watering needs the other day. I came home and they were all blown over from the fans and wilted, whoops. So I watered and turned the fans off for a day. Sure enough, one day later and I come across pest evidence. These assholes don't miss a beat.
IMG_079511.jpg

I bought this little hand held 100X microscope that has a pretty cool option for attaching to my iphone. I am able to zoom in and take pics!!
IMG_080116.jpg
IMG_079814.jpg

Pretty cool huh! Here's a mite that I was able to knock on his back and he couldn't turn back over, haha.
IMG_079613.jpg

This is the absolute best stuff that I have found for treatment, and it's organic! Pyrethrins and canola oil to make it stick to the leaves. Usually just one treatment and the mites are gone. I have heard other growers say that pyrethrins burn their plants, but I have used this stuff quite a bit on multiple strains and generations and absolutely no damage.
IMG_080518.jpg

It's to bad the cat couldn't get her medical card too. I could be her caretaker! She's such a pot head that some nights, she asks me for it!! Such a cool cat and friend...

IMG_080716.jpg
IMG_080816.jpg

Back
Top Bottom