Indy's 1st DWC: White Widow Photoperiod

Good morning everyone,

Another update with some photos and information.

As you know by reading this journal I have had issues with heat in my res and had some stages of root rot which I seemed to have gotten under control.

Now..I have setup my new grow tent. Its a monster when comparing to my old one. This thing is 4 X 4 X 6

I never had to add any frozen water bottles in the res for almost a week now. The temps in the room are down big time! I am getting a low of 17C and high of 23C

When I checked the water res temps I am getting 19C - 20.4C and no higher

A few things could have done this, either the new tent allowing more space/air without a chance of heat buildup. I also removed my big oscillating fan from the room, and I also covered the pebbles up so no light is getting in. Either way, whatever it was, the room gets chilly now and the res is under control! Onwards and upwards right :)

Here are some photos taken over the past 24 hours of the plant as its starting bud development. Still no real signs of buds yet, but we have pleanty of hairs! Some hairs have receeded and turned orange already, and was told this is genetics..nothing I am worried about at all compared to what I was dealing with.

Although she is looking good she is NOT smelling yet. There is no odor or smell coming out of that tent yet. Maybe when she starts to pack on some weight and actually start producing buds then we will notice a difference in smell. I can leave the doors open for a couple hours and you wouldnt even know I was growing anything.

For now, here are some shots of the beast. She looks yummy!

26829963_10155050162326965_1918392028_o.jpg

27157171_10155050162411965_1937992905_n.jpg

27398210_10155050162386965_1176252954_o.jpg

27329562_10155050162331965_230784948_o.jpg

27294366_10155050162356965_860479452_n.jpg

27292661_10155050162426965_2086814993_n.jpg

27265544_10155050162456965_1412230935_o.jpg

27157601_10155050162446965_1320805088_n.jpg

27265083_10155050162351965_852766500_o.jpg

27157171_10155050162411965_1937992905_n.jpg

Its under the LED photos, I will get some out of the tent soon, just been busy with other life things and rather not move the plant around too much.

Smoke em if ya got em!
Those pics look good Indy. How much time do you think you have left? Sounds like things are wrapping up if pistils are turning. Some strains aren't big stinkers. Northern Lights is renowned for not being big with the fragrance... before someone jumps my shit on this. Some Northern Lights DO smell. Besides there may be nothing now, but you may get it in the cure.

Those pics look good Indy. How much time do you think you have left? Sounds like things are wrapping up if pistils are turning. Some strains aren't big stinkers. Northern Lights is renowned for not being big with the fragrance... before someone jumps my shit on this. Some Northern Lights DO smell. Besides there may be nothing now, but you may get it in the cure.

I am guessing 4-6 weeks. I have read some that hairs turn when she is ready, I seen this in my past grows, but never seen it early, its only a couple hairs, nothing major, there is no bud development yet in terms of swollen cylax or anything. Dont even look like there is anything to smoke yet because she is so young into flower.

I flipped her on December 25th. If I start counting weeks from that date we are at 4 weeks in. However, I usually start counting weeks once I see hairs/pistils so that would put me at week 3. I find doing it this way saves me from harvesting early and can get her the full 8 flowering weeks to focus on bud development.

I had the smell issue with my Cheese plant, never kicked in until the swelling had started. So maybe this is the same. The fan I have is a 190 CFM attached to carbon filter. With my 4 X 4 thats just under 100 meters squared which is well below the fan 190 CFM rating. So air is probably just getting scrubbed really good where I have the fan on max.

I never grew NL before. But I have had it and it has smelled. Not saying it doesnt in flower, but I am sure the cure really has something to do with bringing out the stink :)

I am guessing 4-6 weeks. I have read some that hairs turn when she is ready, I seen this in my past grows, but never seen it early, its only a couple hairs, nothing major, there is no bud development yet in terms of swollen cylax or anything. Dont even look like there is anything to smoke yet because she is so young into flower.

I flipped her on December 25th. If I start counting weeks from that date we are at 4 weeks in. However, I usually start counting weeks once I see hairs/pistils so that would put me at week 3. I find doing it this way saves me from harvesting early and can get her the full 8 flowering weeks to focus on bud development.

I had the smell issue with my Cheese plant, never kicked in until the swelling had started. So maybe this is the same. The fan I have is a 190 CFM attached to carbon filter. With my 4 X 4 thats just under 100 meters squared which is well below the fan 190 CFM rating. So air is probably just getting scrubbed really good where I have the fan on max.

I never grew NL before. But I have had it and it has smelled. Not saying it doesnt in flower, but I am sure the cure really has something to do with bringing out the stink :)
Yeah. It's about the trichomes. Don't worry about hairs. In 6 weeks those things will be absolutely crazy. Sounds like you got a handle on it. Lookin good!

Yeah. It's about the trichomes. Don't worry about hairs. In 6 weeks those things will be absolutely crazy. Sounds like you got a handle on it. Lookin good!

Yeah I never pay attention to the hairs, which is why im not bothered at all by the color change, I always get in close with my loupe to see whats brewing lol

Morning everyone,

Its been a couple days since the last post so here we are...

Not much to report, she is growing, not a whole lot of smell coming out yet, and there really is no realy looking buds to be seen, but she is very frosty and sparkly, she glitters in the light like snow glitter on a sunny day!

Here are some photos of the White Widow

Some hairs are orange but most are still white and sticking out like a horny female cannabis plant should lol

One thing to note, I did look into the buds, if you even wanna call them buds right now...and the trichomes that are visible are cloudy.

They are NOT clear, pure cloudy. The mushroom heads look like there is smoke in them, and there are some amber popping up, not a lot but I did see a few. Not really sure what to make of that because she still has a good ways to go yet and seems to be doing things way too early. The cylaxes are not really visible and nave not even started to swell, and all these hairs need to turn and start receding into the plant again, and that doesn't look like its happening anytime soon...I am giving her 3-5 weeks to harvest maybe longer.

I am very happy with the sugar production, she is getting frosty very fast. A few days ago she was not this glittery.

That's all for now...smoke em if ya got em!

Hey everyone! It has been a while since I posted. Been away due to illness...but we are back and we are full force!!!

So had a issue with the plant when my wonderful other half helped out while I was in hospital. She accidently placed the bucket on top of my airstone air line and the plant never had any direct oxygen for 4 days or so. Just sitting in still water...so that meant more slime issues...god love her for trying and helping, not one big upset at her, shit happens. Roots are cleaned off and slime is gone again.

Now yesterday I received a gift from a worker who I had no idea was even into this stuff. We struck a conversation and one thing led to the next. I then found out he used HPS lighting, and told him my history with LED.

Next thing I know he leaves work, drives home and was waiting in his car outside work for me with a surprise. He donated his older 1000W HPS Ballast and HPS lamps. Blown away!

I set it up and wow wow wow, that light is wayyyy more intense than LED. It gets hot in that room now. Gotta figure a way to get temps down and I have a idea but time will tell. Temps are hitting up to 33C so if I can drop about 6 degrees I will be fine. It is in a sealed room with no windows so I got some playing to do.

Here are a couple updated photos of the Widow! We are in week # 6 of flower. Got a couple weeks to go. With this added light I am really hoping the last 2 weeks when she starts to fatten up that she will just explode on me.

Here is what we got so far - Pics taken last night

Hey everyone! It has been a while since I posted. Been away due to illness...but we are back and we are full force!!!

So had a issue with the plant when my wonderful other half helped out while I was in hospital. She accidently placed the bucket on top of my airstone air line and the plant never had any direct oxygen for 4 days or so. Just sitting in still water...so that meant more slime issues...god love her for trying and helping, not one big upset at her, shit happens. Roots are cleaned off and slime is gone again.

Now yesterday I received a gift from a worker who I had no idea was even into this stuff. We struck a conversation and one thing led to the next. I then found out he used HPS lighting, and told him my history with LED.

Next thing I know he leaves work, drives home and was waiting in his car outside work for me with a surprise. He donated his older 1000W HPS Ballast and HPS lamps. Blown away!

I set it up and wow wow wow, that light is wayyyy more intense than LED. It gets hot in that room now. Gotta figure a way to get temps down and I have a idea but time will tell. Temps are hitting up to 33C so if I can drop about 6 degrees I will be fine. It is in a sealed room with no windows so I got some playing to do.

Here are a couple updated photos of the Widow! We are in week # 6 of flower. Got a couple weeks to go. With this added light I am really hoping the last 2 weeks when she starts to fatten up that she will just explode on me.

Here is what we got so far - Pics taken last night
Nice, free stuff! LEDs are expensive when they are as powerful as what you were given. Just be sure you introduce your new light slowly. Or you'll smoke your plant before you can smoke it. It will definitely help your flowers if done right. Watch them temps at your plant tops, not at the wall. Measure where the action is.
28 or a little lower are pretty good target temps. Portable ACs work great, but the better ones still need a exhaust outlet. And you need to watch where the exhaust is going.... If you vent to your living room itll feel like the Amazon basin in a few hours. There are ways around warm water if you have a reservoir, pretty cheap super easy.

The plant looks good. Keep it low key with the new light and you will be rewarded

Nice, free stuff! LEDs are expensive when they are as powerful as what you were given. Just be sure you introduce your new light slowly. Or you'll smoke your plant before you can smoke it. It will definitely help your flowers if done right. Watch them temps at your plant tops, not at the wall. Measure where the action is.
28 or a little lower are pretty good target temps. Portable ACs work great, but the better ones still need a exhaust outlet. And you need to watch where the exhaust is going.... If you vent to your living room itll feel like the Amazon basin in a few hours. There are ways around warm water if you have a reservoir, pretty cheap super easy.

The plant looks good. Keep it low key with the new light and you will be rewarded

The living room I would be exhausting into would be the basement man cave area, its always cooler down there, so I may try it to see how hot the room actually gets.

It sucks there are no windows or anything, it was an old laundry room when the house had an apartment.

Can you explain a little about this "There are ways around warm water if you have a reservoir, pretty cheap super easy" I may be able to do this depending on whats required. I only need to get the temps down about 5-6 degrees. Temps at top of plant is about 32-34 with the new light, not ideal at all, 1st time running HPS and I knew this would happen, just never knew I would be running HPS anytime soon, unplanned gift from a worker.

The living room I would be exhausting into would be the basement man cave area, its always cooler down there, so I may try it to see how hot the room actually gets.

It sucks there are no windows or anything, it was an old laundry room when the house had an apartment.

Can you explain a little about this "There are ways around warm water if you have a reservoir, pretty cheap super easy" I may be able to do this depending on whats required. I only need to get the temps down about 5-6 degrees. Temps at top of plant is about 32-34 with the new light, not ideal at all, 1st time running HPS and I knew this would happen, just never knew I would be running HPS anytime soon, unplanned gift from a worker.

I certainly can. Get yourself a 6 inch inline fan, cut a 6 inch hole in your reservoir lid and stick the fan in the lid. Now, you can set your lid back on the reservoir crooked or you can cut another hole in the lid to let the forced air out.

A little history. I bought a chiller once but it showed up totally thrashed. It was 106 degrees outside and I grow in a shed. I needed to find a way to cool my 85 degree nutrients. The plants roots hadn't hit the water yet so I was kinda lucky there. I added an AC to the room and out of desperation used a 6 inch fan to blow across the water in my res. It worked, I tuned it some more and now regularly see temps in my res. 10 degrees cooler than the ambient. Last grow I was trying to get my Ayahuasca Purple plants to turn purple by dropping the temps in my room and res. I pulled cool air from the AC to the res. and got it down to 55 degrees... actually too cold. So, if you can put a hole in your lid and can afford to buy an inline fan you can try this out. I don't see you having a problem with moving the needle 6 degrees. It will still work in a warm room, not as well as if you have it hooked up to an AC, but you should be sorted. I would love to share pictures but this forum is having issues with their app.

Just make sure your fan doesnt fall through the hole. I wrapped air tubing around my fan and taped it down to make sure gravity is accounted for. Also, the body of the fan shouldn't be close to the water, it will cause splashing. AND if you have an autofill float valve keep the fan away from it or you'll flood your room.

Whatever you do, don't over do it with the HPS. It would suck to trash what you have now. You could also augment your LED with the new light by running it on a timer a hour or 2 on and a a couple off. A sheet of glass between the light and plant wouldn't hurt, but that will block most of your UV, which seriously helps bud quality. There's a ton of stuff you can plan for next time, just don't compromise what you have done so far.

I hope this helps

I certainly can. Get yourself a 6 inch inline fan, cut a 6 inch hole in your reservoir lid and stick the fan in the lid. Now, you can set your lid back on the reservoir crooked or you can cut another hole in the lid to let the forced air out.

A little history. I bought a chiller once but it showed up totally thrashed. It was 106 degrees outside and I grow in a shed. I needed to find a way to cool my 85 degree nutrients. The plants roots hadn't hit the water yet so I was kinda lucky there. I added an AC to the room and out of desperation used a 6 inch fan to blow across the water in my res. It worked, I tuned it some more and now regularly see temps in my res. 10 degrees cooler than the ambient. Last grow I was trying to get my Ayahuasca Purple plants to turn purple by dropping the temps in my room and res. I pulled cool air from the AC to the res. and got it down to 55 degrees... actually too cold. So, if you can put a hole in your lid and can afford to buy an inline fan you can try this out. I don't see you having a problem with moving the needle 6 degrees. It will still work in a warm room, not as well as if you have it hooked up to an AC, but you should be sorted. I would love to share pictures but this forum is having issues with their app.

Just make sure your fan doesnt fall through the hole. I wrapped air tubing around my fan and taped it down to make sure gravity is accounted for. Also, the body of the fan shouldn't be close to the water, it will cause splashing. AND if you have an autofill float valve keep the fan away from it or you'll flood your room.

Whatever you do, don't over do it with the HPS. It would suck to trash what you have now. You could also augment your LED with the new light by running it on a timer a hour or 2 on and a a couple off. A sheet of glass between the light and plant wouldn't hurt, but that will block most of your UV, which seriously helps bud quality. There's a ton of stuff you can plan for next time, just don't compromise what you have done so far.

I hope this helps

Yes this makes perfect sense now. Thanks for explaining that to me. I did manage to get the temps down. Very strange.

I was given this system as I said, the first day the temps were hitting up to 34C. The next few days after that I noticed the temps were not going any higher than 26C.

Now having said that, I do notice the light doesn't have the same intensity as it seemed to have the 1st day I powered up the HPS. I am either thinking its just me or the intensity of the bulb has degraded, resulting in the lower heat the lamp is giving off. The light is used, and a little older so this could be true. Either way, I went ahead and ordered a new bulb for the unit which will be here on Wednesday (2 more days). I will keep you updated on that once I receive it. So far I have been running both the 1000W LED (not actual 1000w draw power) plus the HPS together and the LED seems to be overpowering the HPS light in there now, which wasnt the case when I first connected it. Plant seems to love it, its a good height, and there is no burning going on. I took your advice and am rotating. I use the HPS on a 2 hour rotation. Will increase that this week to the full 12/12 with the LED.

So far..no issues :)

Not much has been happening in the room. The temps seem to have went down and stayed down to the 25C highest it has been the last 72 hours was 26 C. Nothing changed, the bulb is a older bulb and I did order a new one just to be sure all is good.

Either way we are still waiting on the swell to happen. I dont see the buds swelling, or at least any visible cylax swelling.

Hairs are either orange/red
Trichomes are either clear or cloudy with exception to the leaves which are cloudy/amber but I am not paying attention to the trichomes on leaves, going by the bud only.

Today we start week #8 (Day 50 of Flower). The last plant I grew the swelling happened during week 6-8 and this time I am doing a Hydro grow, not sure if that makes any difference.

Also the plant has NOT started to change color of the leaves yet. All leaves are green, no signs of any fall colors, but I am guessing when I force the flush on her I will probably see a difference...or maybe not at all...

There are no white hairs visible. All hairs on plant have turned orange/dark red as I said above.

Here are some photos from the past few days I snapped

KING TUT AUTOFLOWER GROWING VERY NICE!

Not much has been happening in the room. The temps seem to have went down and stayed down to the 25C highest it has been the last 72 hours was 26 C. Nothing changed, the bulb is a older bulb and I did order a new one just to be sure all is good.

Either way we are still waiting on the swell to happen. I dont see the buds swelling, or at least any visible cylax swelling.

Hairs are either orange/red
Trichomes are either clear or cloudy with exception to the leaves which are cloudy/amber but I am not paying attention to the trichomes on leaves, going by the bud only.

Today we start week #8 (Day 50 of Flower). The last plant I grew the swelling happened during week 6-8 and this time I am doing a Hydro grow, not sure if that makes any difference.

Also the plant has NOT started to change color of the leaves yet. All leaves are green, no signs of any fall colors, but I am guessing when I force the flush on her I will probably see a difference...or maybe not at all...

There are no white hairs visible. All hairs on plant have turned orange/dark red as I said above.

Here are some photos from the past few days I snapped

KING TUT AUTOFLOWER GROWING VERY NICE!
I've read about the King Tut photoperiod. That strain is nuts

I've read about the King Tut photoperiod. That strain is nuts
Yeah King Tut is an amazing strain. I never grew the photoperiod strain only Autoflower. Was my last seed so I threw her in the tent with the photoperiod. She been on 12/12 light since seed with no issues. Will increase light period once I harvest the Widow in a couple weeks.

Yeah King Tut is an amazing strain. I never grew the photoperiod strain only Autoflower. Was my last seed so I threw her in the tent with the photoperiod. She been on 12/12 light since seed with no issues. Will increase light period once I harvest the Widow in a couple weeks.
Very curious how that goes. I'm not a huge sativa fiend... but never had it at almost 30% THC. How much time do you have on that one?

Very curious how that goes. I'm not a huge sativa fiend... but never had it at almost 30% THC. How much time do you have on that one?
I only planted her about a week ago it's in the pic above. So she has a while yet. Only now working on leaf with 5 fingers.

White Widow..hopefully within 3 weeks, this is week 8 of flower and I see no swelling of the cylax so allowing time for the swell, hopefully she starts that soon.

I rather indica as well but KT is a hybrid so it's a mix but more sativa dominant if I stand correct. Will continue her progress in here as well.

I only planted her about a week ago it's in the pic above. So she has a while yet. Only now working on leaf with 5 fingers.

White Widow..hopefully within 3 weeks, this is week 8 of flower and I see no swelling of the cylax so allowing time for the swell, hopefully she starts that soon.

I rather indica as well but KT is a hybrid so it's a mix but more sativa dominant if I stand correct. Will continue her progress in here as well.
Oh, gotcha. I wish I could share with you what I have going on. For close to 2 weeks pictures from the app. Don't work. REALLY takes the fun out of this.

I do want to try King Tut. An auto may be fun.

Good morning everyone!

Hope your all doing well!

Last night I chopped the girl. I was going some reading about the trichome science and the THC/CBD/CBN and learned more info. I decided to let this one get the chop with about 5% amber. While the Widow is a Hybrid it is sativa dominant, meaning it is not meant to have the couch lock effect. No point in letting it go amber for a couch lock if the plant isn't designed to give you the couch lock effect like most Indica plants. Also dont see the point in degrading THC if its a high THC plant. Thats just my 2 cents, coming from the guy who totally messed up this grow haha

Now having said that, before I chopped her I was hoping to get an ounce off her. Then as a couple weeks went by and I never got a lot of swelling I was kinda hoping I would end up getting at least 15g in total. VERY LOW and again I am ok with that because I learned a shit ton from this grow. I would take knowledge and information all day long just like quality over quantity.

Now...after I chopped she did start to kick up a stink a little and was the first time I really got a good smell from her. Perhaps my carbon filter was just doing its job, but other plants have smelled so I think its a genetic from this seed.

When chopped the buds were very very heavy. Heavier than my usual grows. I usually get 2+oz per plant, I know thats not happening with this one but the buds were very tight! As it dries I expect them to lighten up a lot and even get fluffier, again, time will tell on this.

Here are the photos of the harvest. If I can get 15g I will be happy. The trichs are milky white, very cloudy and hardly any clear heads at all, if any. She seemed to have a nice color after harvest, not that bright under ripe green color, so I think i got her at her peak time.

So thats the end result, not bad, not great, but hopefully she smokes great. She is in a dark room now drying with some moving air, and I will be doing a final trim on her before she gets stored away.

So my guess is about 15g

Will post final weight when she is dry in a few days to a week and we will wrap this one up and start with our Autoflower grow for King Tut and Speed Bud X3

Just setup the automatic watering system, got it connected to a res, the the tent all cleaned out and ready to go.

Just got to install the net and get ready to SCROG the autos. Was gonna top them this time but I may just let them grow under the screen and see how she grows!

Have a great day!

Good morning everyone!

Hope your all doing well!

Last night I chopped the girl. I was going some reading about the trichome science and the THC/CBD/CBN and learned more info. I decided to let this one get the chop with about 5% amber. While the Widow is a Hybrid it is sativa dominant, meaning it is not meant to have the couch lock effect. No point in letting it go amber for a couch lock if the plant isn't designed to give you the couch lock effect like most Indica plants. Also dont see the point in degrading THC if its a high THC plant. Thats just my 2 cents, coming from the guy who totally messed up this grow haha

Now having said that, before I chopped her I was hoping to get an ounce off her. Then as a couple weeks went by and I never got a lot of swelling I was kinda hoping I would end up getting at least 15g in total. VERY LOW and again I am ok with that because I learned a shit ton from this grow. I would take knowledge and information all day long just like quality over quantity.

Now...after I chopped she did start to kick up a stink a little and was the first time I really got a good smell from her. Perhaps my carbon filter was just doing its job, but other plants have smelled so I think its a genetic from this seed.

When chopped the buds were very very heavy. Heavier than my usual grows. I usually get 2+oz per plant, I know thats not happening with this one but the buds were very tight! As it dries I expect them to lighten up a lot and even get fluffier, again, time will tell on this.

Here are the photos of the harvest. If I can get 15g I will be happy. The trichs are milky white, very cloudy and hardly any clear heads at all, if any. She seemed to have a nice color after harvest, not that bright under ripe green color, so I think i got her at her peak time.

So thats the end result, not bad, not great, but hopefully she smokes great. She is in a dark room now drying with some moving air, and I will be doing a final trim on her before she gets stored away.

So my guess is about 15g

Will post final weight when she is dry in a few days to a week and we will wrap this one up and start with our Autoflower grow for King Tut and Speed Bud X3

Just setup the automatic watering system, got it connected to a res, the the tent all cleaned out and ready to go.

Just got to install the net and get ready to SCROG the autos. Was gonna top them this time but I may just let them grow under the screen and see how she grows!

Have a great day!
Good job man. It's not quantity it's quality. Sounds like your quality is there. It was fun watching you get this done. Cheers

Good job man. It's not quantity it's quality. Sounds like your quality is there. It was fun watching you get this done. Cheers

Thank you sir. You have given me much information and education on this DWC grow. Lots of great info and it has really helped. Would rather grow something and learn a lot than grow something and learn nothing!

Thanks again for following...it was a blast!

Will post final weight when dry

Back
Top Bottom