Inexperienced First Timer: duct ventilation setup (and any other) advice needed

cheeya

Hi everybody.

Doing a stealth grow in a rural area.

I am age 60 growing for sacramental use. My wife (age 65) has severe anxiety and insomnia issues. I

I could use some advice on how to set up my duct fan system (ventilation.) Do I pressurize? If so, where (inside or outside?) do I put my Inline Duct Fan 190 CFM w/ Virgin Charcoal Carbon Filter? Need simple step by step instructions... thanks in advance. First timer.

From what I gather (at How Do I add Ventilation to my Grow Area, What Can I Do about Smell?) here is what I am to do:

I run a short piece of 4" (or bigger) ducting at the bottom of the tent to allow new air in. I hang the VenTech IF4CF412 4" Inline Duct Fan 190 CFM INSIDE the tent at the top,, attach a run of 4" ducting, run it outside the tent, and attach that ducting to the Charcoal Carbon Filter which is outside the tent, right?

Should I add a filter of some sort to the intake ducting to prevent air contamination inside the tent that might damage the crop? Planning on using a small Filtrete Micro Particle Reduction filter on TWO 4" dryer duct intake lines.

My VenTech 190 CFM Fan is capable of changing out the old air every 11 seconds, so I will slow it down with a fan speed control.

Here is the setup I have and just beginning to set it up:

Gorilla Grow 2' x 2.5' x 7' Tent (35 Cubic Feet)

LIGHTS

Apollo Horticulture GL60LED Full Spectrum 180W LED Grow Light for Indoor Plant Growing

Hydrofarm JSV2 2-Foot Jump Start T5 Grow Light System (lights can be used to add lumens to Apollo Horticulture GL60LED Full Spectrum 180W LED Grow Light for Indoor Plant Growing)

VENTILATION

VenTech IF4CF412 4" Inline Duct Fan 190 CFM w/ Virgin Charcoal Carbon Filter Combo

GROWING MEDIA

EcoGrower Max - Complete Hydroponic System - 17 Gallon Reservoir - Includes Growing Chamber Lid Inserts Cups Spider Pumping Column Air Pump

HARDWARE, ETC

Dundas Jafine BTD48TC ProFlex Clothes Dryer Transition Duct UL 2158A Listed & Marked With 2 Tension Clamps, 4-Inch by 8-Foot

Belkin BE112230-08 12-Outlet Home/Office Surge Protector with Telephone and Coaxial Protection

Etekcity® 0.05 pH High Accuracy Pocket Size pH Meter with ATC(Automatic Temperature Control)

Clonex CLO100 Rooting Compound Gel, 100ML

100 Count- Jiffy 30 MM Peat Soil Pellets Seeds

Humboldt Nutrients HG405 Ginormous Germination

KLTECH Portable Digital LCD PH Meter Tester Monitor Auto Pen Test Water Soil Pool Hydroponic Type

HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester, 0-9990 ppm Measurement Range , 1 ppm Resolution, +/- 3% Readout Accuracy

Hydrofarm HGFLT Floating Thermometer

Grodan 1.5" Macro Plugs - Pack of 50 Rockwool Stonewool Plugs for Seed Starting, Plant Propagation & Cloning Cuttings

Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat For Heat Mats

Hydrofarm JSV2 2-Foot Jump Start T5 Grow Light System (lights can be used to add lumens to Apollo Horticulture GL60LED Full Spectrum 180W LED Grow Light for Indoor Plant Growing)

General Hydroponics Flora Series QT - FloraGro, FloraBloom, and FloraMicro, 32 oz each

Hydrofarm CK64050 Germination Station with Heat Mat

Hydrofarm TM01715D 7-Day Digital Program Timer

General Hydroponics GH1514 Ph Control Kit

Ambient Weather WS-07 Big Digit 8-Channel Wireless Thermo-Hygrometer

ROPE RATCHET REFLECTOR HANGER PRO GROW LIGHT GRIP 2 pk

Holmes HACP10B-U Oscillating Clip Fan

Wow that's thorough!

Well I'll help where I can, although my experience is still limited :)

For anxiety, I'd suggest a Sativa/Indica hybrid, and for Insomnia I'd definitely go with the highest Indica you can find. It will definitely help put you right to sleep. You CAN however use any strains for Insomnia, but it can require a higher dosage. If all you have available is a Sativa dominant strain, I'd suggest a later harvest (more amber trichomes) to assist with insomnia.

You don't have to pressurize your grow area. A simple inlet tube is all you need, and you're right about the filter on the intake. Even any old lint-free rag will work. Small pieces of dust/lint can be pulled into the intake, and can stick to the trichomes on the plants.

I have seen people suggest having the fan before, and after the filter. Depending on who you talk to, they'll swear by their method.

Most commonly this is what I see on this forum for exhaust:

<------- Airflow direction

The _________ and | | | are the outline of the tent.
The === represents your ducting.
The * is your fan.
The # is your filter.

Air 'should' be PULLED through the filter (Fan should blow away from the filter)

If we were writing a road map for your exhaust, it would look like this:

Enter filter, travel through ducting and pass the fan, travel through more ducting, then exit the tent.

As for the rest of your setup, WOW. You're so far beyond me in equipment it isn't funny. Stick around on the forums, you'll find all the help you need to make sure you have a successful grow so you and your wife can treat your ailments with high quality Cannabis.

Welcome to :420: !

20140222_032508.jpg
20140222_032515.jpg
20140302_035702.jpg
20140302_035711.jpg
20140223_132753.jpg

Thanks... pretty much my thoughts!

Wow that's thorough!

Well I'll help where I can, although my experience is still limited :)

For anxiety, I'd suggest a Sativa/Indica hybrid, and for Insomnia I'd definitely go with the highest Indica you can find. It will definitely help put you right to sleep. You CAN however use any strains for Insomnia, but it can require a higher dosage. If all you have available is a Sativa dominant strain, I'd suggest a later harvest (more amber trichomes) to assist with insomnia.

You don't have to pressurize your grow area. A simple inlet tube is all you need, and you're right about the filter on the intake. Even any old lint-free rag will work. Small pieces of dust/lint can be pulled into the intake, and can stick to the trichomes on the plants.

I have seen people suggest having the fan before, and after the filter. Depending on who you talk to, they'll swear by their method.

Most commonly this is what I see on this forum for exhaust:

<------- Airflow direction

The _________ and | | | are the outline of the tent.
The === represents your ducting.
The * is your fan.
The # is your filter.

Air 'should' be PULLED through the filter (Fan should blow away from the filter)

If we were writing a road map for your exhaust, it would look like this:

Enter filter, travel through ducting and pass the fan, travel through more ducting, then exit the tent.

As for the rest of your setup, WOW. You're so far beyond me in equipment it isn't funny. Stick around on the forums, you'll find all the help you need to make sure you have a successful grow so you and your wife can treat your ailments with high quality Cannabis.

Welcome to :420: !

One thing i would mention is if your pulling from inside your tent, you should exhaust somewhere other then your fresh air source. for example, if you build a tent inside a bedroom, you would pull air out of you tent and exhaust out of the house, this could really benefit you if you have central air or a AC unit inside the bedroom.

Thanks NOCO Farmer! Bedroom has central air... I am using 160 watt LED lights which don't produce much heat, so were you thinking heat was an issue? Still an issue you think?

Thanks NOCO Farmer! Bedroom has central air... I am using 160 watt LED lights which don't produce much heat, so were you thinking heat was an issue? Still an issue you think?

Not only to help with any heat issues or to control climate, but to introduce fresh air continuously to your plants. Both controlling heat and fresh air will contribute to your success. I like to feel a breeze circulating through my tent.

Back
Top Bottom