Infra Red Heater Affect Dark Period?

kiwibloke

Hi, serious enquiry here from a very cold (for this time of year) Christchurch, New Zealand. A mate of mine had a grow room that was only getting to about 65 degrees F with lights on duing flowering cycle. (the plants are in 20 litre containers off the ground on a wooden table to combat the cold affecting the rooting system) So apparantly he's fired up an infra red heater to bump the temps up and runs it during the dark period. Some of the finished buds are a bit whispy and my first thought was the heater creating a "light poisoning" effect, but it seems he also has a problem with spider mites !! (As an aside, the mites appear to be only on plants that have grown so tall that he's had to put bamboo stakes in the pots to support the "Uncle Neds" and you can see the mites are trooping up and down the bamboo stake to the hole in the top !!!!. I've told him to place the stakes outside in the weather for about 6 - 7 days - that way the frosts will kill the bugs and any hatchlings)
He reckons he used the heater last winter as well with no ill effects but I dunno . . he does smoke a lot of the kutah !!!

Any ideas / experiene of using an infra red heater would be appreciated. "Ta" in advance

Yep, that's correctamundo that's what I'm sayin' could be a problem . . .there is light during a dark period. red and blue spectrum are important elements in plant growth but not during the dark period. . .that was why I was asking if someone else could confirm they have had/seen/heard about it causing problems

the dark period needs to be exactly that.. 100% dark, green is the only color lighting that should be used in the dark cycle, and even that i try to refrain from using, as green bulbs arent 100% green spectrum if that makes since?, im a beginning grower, but from what i have read and do know.. im gonna put my money on YES it will give you problems

Back
Top Bottom