Infrared Detection

rgl420pc

I have been searching the vast internet to verify that police can locate marijuana outside using infrared devices. I have only found cases involving them detecting indoor grow rooms. If anyone has a link or proof that this is possible please let me know... Thanks

Re: Infrared Detection...

Sorry for the wrong location fellas. I am introducing myself. And I am still seeking any verifiable truth to a myth.

CAN THE POLICE LOCATE FIELDS OF MJ USING INFRARED TECHNOLOGY?
FIELDS, ASIN, OUTSIDE FIELDS.
NOT A GROWROOM.
I ALREADY SAW THE SUPREME COURT RULINGS.

Thank you for your help, but I am still in need of proof...

No plants outside wouldnt be giving off unusal heat. Inferred is used to detect the lights used in grow ops. Its used for lights not for plants. Marijuana plants outside arn't gonig to give off more heat then other plants

they already know u r growing if they wanted to bust u they will but ur too small prob to make an example out of so don't worry

Its very real bro. But there is a way to beat it. Heavy insulation of the room and having the lights on during daylight hours.
Infrared detection is useless when the sun's up.
As for outside, they look for greener patches and is warmer than corn buct same temp as certain type of grass like wheatgrass.

how effective are the liquid cooled tubes that surround your bulb? I just wonder if the IR detection would see the hot spot regardless of the tempature surrounding the actual bulb

It really gets me how people buy into all the paranoid myths regarding marijuana grow op busts.

1) As far as infrared... last I checked, plants are not warm-blooded. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking they don't give off heat as a result.

2) As far as "seeing into your house" with infrared, that's b.s. Infrared is not x-ray. If you were to grow marijuana on one side of your attic, all a FLIR or any infrared device will pick up is the heat signature of the roof. They'll see that one side of your roof is hotter than the other; that's it.

3) As far as what that source of heat is, it could be a space heater, a hot water heater or anything but they cannot see through the roof all they can detect is the outer temperature of the roof. Besides, as many here have noted already, the Supreme Court has ruled against using infrared anyway.

4) As far as all the paranoia about being caught due to a spike in your heating electric bill, this may not be the dumbest myth, but it is the most dangerous myths that I'm sure the drug warriors are really glad people buy into.

That's because this erroneous belief prompts many to do what ACTUALLY DOES get them busted–steal electricity. I work in journalism. Also being a grower, I pay attention to busts. I can think of very few indoor grow op busts that DIDN'T happen because they first got caught stealing electricity.

People's home electricity use spikes all the time for many reasons. It's ridiculous to think that a power company can monitor every little fluctuation in electricity use for the hundreds of thousands of homes they serve. Even if they did, they'd have to pull up your records to even be able to compare it to your past use. And like I said, spikes can be due to millions of reasons.

It's true law enforcement DOES sometimes get power use data when trying to bust pot growers on occasion. BUT, any time I've seen them do this, it's just to find out the best households to do a "knock and talk." As long as you're not stupid enough to let them search your home without a warrant, you're probably safe!

Just to clarify, I'm not saying the things I'm debunking have never been used by law enforcement in a bust. I'm just saying I've never once seen a case where that was the one thing that got someone busted by itself.

It may be used as corroborating evidence to obtain a search, but if you ever hear anyone saying anything contrary to what I'm talking about and naming some particular case as proof, I can pretty much guarantee you what actually got them busted was stealing electricity, dealing to an informant, etc.

It's kind of ironic that the number one irrational fear people have, electricity use, is what lead to probably the number one reason people actually get busted, stealing power.

Just to clarify, there are a handful of plant species (less that 7 or 8 I think) that do generate minuscule amounts of heat from chemical reactions, but marijuana, corn, pine trees, beans and basically 99.9 percent of all plants on the earth are not in that category.

Even looking for those plants, I doubt any infrared device could even measure such a incredibly slight amount of heat, and if there is, I can pretty much guarantee you law enforcement does not have access to something that high tech; not at this time anyway.

Sure, a plant may show up on infrared but only because it's heated to the ambient temperature of the air by absorbing the heat from the sun, meaning it will appear the same temperature as any other plant.

The idea that a helicopter with an infrared camera can "spot the unique heat signature of cannabis" is one of the most half-baked rumors there is, pun intended.

Claymore, I agree with you 100%. People are so paranoid, and that paranoia is what the govt wants us to buy into. I do it to sometimes, and start tripping out and panic Im gonna get busted, but then I come to my senses and remember that nobody knows what Im doing here so Im good. Also, the last post on this thread before yours was 5 1/2yrs ago, thats a long time. This is a good subject though, as Ive had all the same thoughts and concerns that you listed above. As long as your not getting $1k plus per month electric bills, your good. $1k is kind of high though, esp for a low scale personal grow.

Back
Top Bottom