Initial trimming and enzymes

Adk5252

420 Member
Hello all - I am a new grower and would like to get some feedback regarding initial trimming of my plants . My plants are 4" tall and haver roughly 6 leafes on them , I have been told I should trim back some of the leafs to make the plant bushier ?? not sure if that's an old wives tale or the actual truth. ??

Additionally - as I am new to this , I have been reading about enzymes , my plants will be moved outdoors at the appropriate time , are enzymes still required to obtain maximum growth.

Additionally , I will be moving my plants outdoors, as I live in the north east what would be the coldest temperature my plants could handle outdoors ?

Thanks all............

Hello all - I am a new grower and would like to get some feedback regarding initial trimming of my plants . My plants are 4" tall and haver roughly 6 leafes on them , I have been told I should trim back some of the leafs to make the plant bushier ?? not sure if that's an old wives tale or the actual truth. ??

Additionally - as I am new to this , I have been reading about enzymes , my plants will be moved outdoors at the appropriate time , are enzymes still required to obtain maximum growth.

Additionally , I will be moving my plants outdoors, as I live in the north east what would be the coldest temperature my plants could handle outdoors ?

Thanks all............

First and foremost, Welcome to our little community of the forum :welcome:

Most people top their plant to make it grow wider rather than taller. Topping is usually done between the 3rd and 4th node of the plant when the plant has 5 nodes (sets of true leaf branches).

Now, this has some caveats. First, if growing an auto-flowering plant, topping is done between 14-21 days after sprout. And only if the plant is growing well. If a photoperiod plant, you can top and not worry about stunting its growth for a short time.

Any kind of beneficial microbes/fungi are good to have. Nature usually has them (in the ground), but adding them can't hurt. Typically mycorrhizae are added to the soil or pot (if inside).

The soil temperature should be 60 or above. The night time temps should not be going below 60 to prevent stunting of the plant. (No frost or anything like that). There are some strains that will grow in the cold but are rare.

I recommend starting a grow journal. That will help us help you. You will be able to show problems through pictures, and get help should you need it.

Welcome to our little village.......

Photo plants can be topped any time really. I'd wait till it's 8-12" high but really it doesn't matter.
It's hardly necessary and there are pros and cons to it.
Pros- you get a shorter and bushier plant with more tops/buds. This suits some situations.
Cons- plant is bushier, more tangled, may need more trimming and pruning, buds are smaller. And you don't get to see the beautiful natural appearance of the untopped plant.

It's easier to make a plant grow more tops. Just lean it to one side and the side branches with grow up- repeat as desired.
Or pinch/squeeze the main stem just below the top until it pops a little and crushes in (aka supercropping). This will slow down that top for a while, and side branches will grow up in the meantime.

I wouldn't worry about enzymes right now. More important things to worry out.

Temps in the 50s at night are ok and will bring out some nice colours when flowering. As long as the day temps are consistently warmer. Lower than that- like 40s at night can definitely cause stress

Back
Top Bottom