Input On Grow Box Design

Muttt

I finally got the go ahead (a while back) from the wife to grow my own meds (medical marijuana .... legal grow) and set out to build a box specifically for cloning. So, here is the little box I built. It uses 2 dual 2' long T5's.

clone_box2.jpg

My buddy had an old vent fan in his garage that I aquired. I use it to move the air in the clone box. I drilled a bunch of 3/8 inch holes along the top and put the fan over them. I then drilled a series of holes in the bottom. It works fairly well for moving the air. The temp inside stays at 80 degrees and the humidity stays at 50%.

clone_vent.jpg

I decided to build a box that is 4' x 3' x 6' tall. I used 2x4's to make two squares. One for the top and one of the bottom. I then covered three sides in 1/2 inch plywood. Made a top and bottom. I drilled 25 holes in the bottom and 5 holes on each side of the box. When the size of all the holes are added together, they equal twice the area of the 4 inch exhaust hole. You can see the holes along the bottom of the box.

air_holes.jpg

I then framed the rest of the inside using 2x2's. After which, I painted the whole thing flat white with water based paint. I got a great deal on a 6 inch fan and carbon filter. I decided to go with a cool tube and hooked them all together. Works really well. I had to get a rheostat for the fan since it was moving 500 cfm. I couldn't keep the temps high enough since it's getting cold here now. So I have the fan running at 1/3 speed and it keeps the temps right at 75 degrees and the humidity stay right at 40%. I use two temp/humidity sesors. One at plant level and one at light level.

vent_lighting.jpg

humidity_temp1.jpg

I decided to go with a 600w ballast/light. I got a good deal on a kit that included the ballast, light bulb, cool tube, pulleys and timer. It's not top of the line, but it works great. Here you can see the clone box next to the big grow box. The ballast is mounted outside the grow box.

600w_ballast.jpg

Since I only have a small area to grow in, I decided to try SCROG my first time out. I built a removable frame and used standard 550 cord to make a net. If I change my mind about scrogging, I can always remove the screen before next grow. I am using an organic soil mix and 5 gallon cloth pots. Here's my very young ladies stretching thier leggs in the BIG light. They are so happy to be out from under the T5's. I only have three in there right now (taking it easy first time out). But, there is enough room for 6 (comfortably) or 8-10 if crammed in there.

scrog28.jpg

Any suggestions are appreciated. I tried to plan this thing out as best I could and read as much as I could. My intent was to try and get the setup right the first time around and not have to keep spending more money to upgrade to what I actually need.

I guess I could start a journal. Would be cool to keep up on my first one.

Every time I look at it I think to my self thats a pretty good damn grow box. And for your first try its even better. Your off to a great start. A journal would be great, this looks like a journal lol. I thought it was until I looked at the forum name again. Yea start a journal, pretty much start exactly how you started this forum. Other newbies could learn about taking there time and doing it the right way the first time go round

That's a really good point. Funny thing is, I only paid 100 bucks for the wood and 360.00 ish for the fan/light/ballast/etc. Sure, I would like some high tech extras ..... but, I don't really see the need to. Trying to also keep it K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid).

I'll copy this over to the journal area ...... and keep it going over there.

The one on the left is Maui Wowie .... the one in the middle is Gran Daddy Purple ..... and the one on the right is LA Kush.

I've never tried GDP .... but, that Maui Wowie is one fantastic daytime smoke. Gives you a warm fuzzy melty chocolate feeling inside. Makes you feel really nice and good about your day. The really cool thing is ..... I got the Maui clone from the same person that provides it to the collective. So, I'll be getting the same smoke I'm used to and already like.

I really like the Indicas for nighttime to help me get to sleep. Hopefully the GDP and LA Kush will be good for that. From what I understand, the LA Kush is a cross between LA Confidential and OG Kush. We'll see how it smokes in a couple months.

Back
Top Bottom