Insomnia with anti-depressants. Worth trying medical weed?

Hey there everyone. This is my first post on the forum and I'd love some more experienced opinions on my situation.

I've recently been written a Lexapro prescription by my psychiatrist to combat depression that runs in the family. It has worked fantastically to improve my mood, but it's taking a toll on my body. Ever since I began taking the medication it's been near impossible to get a good night's sleep. Usually I'll lay in bed for hours before falling asleep and when I do I often wake every few hours. (currently getting about 4-5 hours of sleep as a college student)

My first reaction was to change medications, but I've been told Lexapro actually has the least side effects in addition to being the easiest for the body to handle. ( My dad's side of the family has a huge disposition to liver and kidney problems ) As such, I'm pretty much left to prioritize my problems. Restless nights are much easier to deal with than heavy depression or potential kidney/liver disease later in life.

My question to all of you is this:

Would you recommend medical marijuana as a supplement or replacement for these conditions?

I've heard of marijuana being used for insomnia, but I'm not sure if it's also suggested for effectively treating depression.

If so, would my current prescription for anti-depressants be enough documentation to take with to get a referral?

there was recently a thread on here regarding almost the same thing.
someone who was taking lexapro was having bad side effects.

in my opinion i think medical marijuana will help you alot,
i have chronic depression, anxiety, and stress disorders all running down my dads side of the family. ive been on meds for years and its destroying my liver. since i got my recommendation im down to just being on one medication and a lower dosage.

it has definitly helped me.

as long as your honest with the doctor and tell him your problems im sure he will realize marijuana is a suitable medicine and it should help you

there was recently a thread on here regarding almost the same thing.
someone who was taking lexapro was having bad side effects.

in my opinion i think medical marijuana will help you alot,
i have chronic depression, anxiety, and stress disorders all running down my dads side of the family. ive been on meds for years and its destroying my liver. since i got my recommendation im down to just being on one medication and a lower dosage.

it has definitly helped me.

as long as your honest with the doctor and tell him your problems im sure he will realize marijuana is a suitable medicine and it should help you

That's encouraging. Thank you.

Would my medical / treatment records with my psychiatrist be enough to take to another doctor for a referral?

I have had insomnia for years could never fall asleep and when I did I'd wake up constantly. Still have it but do a couple of bowls of a good indica I start nodding off and sleep almost all night.. I refuse to use any sleeping pills. Good luck HB..

I have chronic insomnia. Have tried all the prescription sleep aids like Ambien, etc... If they are sufficient to actually put me to sleep, then I feel terribly groggy the next day - worse than a bad nights sleep. Same thing with things like Tylenol PM - in fact I even have a reaction to it - from just one pill I will wake up in the middle of the night with terrible cold sweats. Literally have to change tshirt and sheets.

I get none of that with Cannabis. It is effective 100% and I feel no ill effects the following morning.

I was on Zoloft for depression and Xanax for chronic insomnia, when I got tired of the side effects. I skipped my Zoloft and tried MMJ - found it worked, and I didn't need the Xanax to get to sleep either. Quit the pills and began self medicating, until just recently when I got my Doc's recommendation.

Bottomline: worked for me. Have not wanted nor needed the pills since. Give it a try. YMMV.

BTW - different strains are better for different problems. Blue Dream was actually developed for anti-anxiety and anti-depression. Look into euphoric sativas for daytime use to combat depression and indicas for night-time to help sleep.

After some discussions with my doctors and a bit of experimenting on my own I'm convinced an mj referral is the way to go. Hopefully I can mimic your results and forgo pills entirely, though I'll be satisfied taking both and being problem free.

Now if only my doctor's office could speed up my request for records. : /

Insomnia and depression are just two of a list of reasons I'm using pot. Since smoking I've had zero issues with being down in the dumps. I sleep a lot better (my sleep issues are related to brain surgery/TBI). I do still wake at night sometimes, although not even remotely close to what I was before. Now if I wake, I just go smoke if I'm not able to roll back over and fall asleep. My option before was to be tired as all getout the next day and for everyone around me to be miserable.

I have just become a Michigan Marihuana card holder and Have Almost completely quit Xanax,etc for Anxiety,Hep C,etc and have found that marijuana works much better and has way less side affects-my 2 cents.

I have just become a Michigan Marihuana card holder and Have Almost completely quit Xanax,etc for Anxiety,Hep C,etc and have found that marijuana works much better and has way less side affects-my 2 cents.

And not to mention, it's not jacking up your liver. That's one of my favorite parts, and I forgot to mention it when I posted above.

Back
Top Bottom