Instant Pot Cannabis Oil: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

Has anyone mixed FECO/Coconut Oil with Olive Oil Extraction Instant pot method?

I have 24 grams of FECO I made this weekend that I decarbed post extraction @ 235 F, 4 plus hours till completely smooth surface. While still warm I added 10 X Coconut oil (240 grams) with one tablespoon of Sunflower Liquid Lecithin. This was added back @ 235 F for about two hours till two oils blended together to smooth again. Silicone bowl on the left is the FECO/Coconut Oil blend after the 2 hours back in the oven. Now the story of the larger Silicone bowl on the right!

20200727_190232.jpg

The bowl on the right is a mixture of one of my two Instant Pot method, 390 grams Olive oil to 28 grams of buds, with Sunflower Liquid Lecithin added. This was made 3 weeks ago, strained/filtered, kept in sealed mason jar since, well I made about dozen OO caps. Two is a good night time dose.
To this I added 15 grams of Barneys Farm LSD Rosin and 13 grams of BF's G13 Haze. These are two of the best Rosins I have made and that finishes them off. :( Can't vape anymore so will be going into caps. Back to the meaning of this post.
I then put this mixture, Canna oil/non-decarbed Rosin, into the oven @235 till the two Rosins had totally decarbed and blended, about 2.5 or so hours. Both have been in the oven cooling down slowly.

Since both batches, FECO/Coconut Oil and Instant Pot Oil plus the Rosins will be made into caps, gummies and who know what, should I mix the two oils together? I will not mix them until each has be tested on it's own merit. My two testers are my GF and my assistant. Then they will be vacuumed sealed in jars and stored for a few weeks to age.

Have read that the more strains you can add to your medicine the better. This blend will have 4 high Indica strains and two hybrid strains, both Sativa dom stains. This could be some spectacular shit.

*** FECO was made with a blend of Big Buddha Cheese, BF's Triple Cheese, BF's Ayahuasca Purple and Original Skunk #1

*** Instant Pot oil was made with BF's Triple Cheese and Ayahuasca Purple. This was blended with 28 grams of the Rosin @ approx average Rosin strength of 50 to 70 %.

Ok I know the Instant pot one works. I had it in the chiller for the past three weeks and when I was scraping it into the warm IP oil I cleaned the chopstick by sucking on it.

It has taken me 3.5 hours to write this!

Damn, I love science and my medicine!

Again I ask this question about the above post.

Since both batches, FECO/Coconut Oil and Instant Pot Oil plus the Rosins will be made into caps, gummies and who know what, should I or can I mix the two oils together?

Again I ask this question about the above post.

Since both batches, FECO/Coconut Oil and Instant Pot Oil plus the Rosins will be made into caps, gummies and who know what, should I or can I mix the two oils together?

I've mixed oils and had no problems. What you'll need to be sure about is, "Are your gel caps water soluble?"

I've mixed oils and had no problems. What you'll need to be sure about is, "Are your gel caps water soluble?"

Thanks buddy,
They are 00 veggie gel caps. Says nothing about water insoluble. I know they dissolve in my body within an hour, Just took two and feeling a good buz coming on.

I have my first 100% CBD plant ready for harvest and I plan on doing a pot in Instant pot fresh extraction on Saturday.
I expect things have moved on a little, so please tell me if the process has been improved.

1. I will use the same grams of fresh bud to ml of olive oil.
2. Immersion blend fresh bud into olive oil in a pyrex jug
3. tin foil over pyrex jug, water in bottom of instant pot, jug on the rack in the instant pot
4. 110 mins and then a cool down overnight before repeating this cycle. Do I need more than 2 cycles to decarb the CBD?
5. Leave in the instant pot after the last cycle for the rest of the week and then strain and try to recover as much oil as I can and separate from any water.
6. Add lecithin and then leave for 24hrs in the fridge
7. Bring up to room temperature, stir and then chill for a further 24 hrs.

Is that about it?

Thanks

hi 420 - finally got a moment to catch up. hope everyone is staying safe in these stupid stupid days ...

time for an easter treat edition of What's Going on in Bluter's Kitchen ? ...

this one is gonna be delicious .... :)

we've been chatting in my thread about vegetable glycerin for a few days.

this is another cross-post as it really belongs in here as well. even though it is not an oil it is based entirely on the methods in the thread.

infused vegetable glycerin is kind of popular here. vg is a clear or slightly yellowish liquid mostly made from vegetable, palm , or coconut oils. it has a slightly sweet taste to it and is a bit like syrup in consistency. it is low in calories, but is a poor sugar replacement as it's level of sweetness is not that high. it's great for our purposes though.

vg is commonly a by-product of the soap making industry, and is used in a lot of cosmetics as well. if you add a tiny bit of nitric acid to it - it can benefit heart attack victims and folk with bad tickers. add a touch more nitric acid, and you create the explosive base product used in all killing machines everywhere.

so clearly we need to tie up all the product not used for keeping ladies vain and hearts going ... :p

vg is normally done as a cold infusion. unfortunately the process is time consuming and the extraction rate can be pretty poor. the bud is decarbed, then bottled up in a big jar of the vg liquid and left to sit for 3 - 8 months. the jar needs to get tumbled a couple times a day in order to get the cannabis all through it while the trichomes migrate from the plant material to the liquid. the end product winds up at something like a 40 - 50% extraction rate.

that won't quite cut it. oh canada we can do better.... :cheesygrinsmiley:

for a few years i made a vg tincture using a crock pot and a heat infusion process. it has a far better extraction rate than the cold process, but required decarb and a couple other finicky things to start. when i began infusing oils with the instant pot method - i realized immediately vegetable glycerin could probably work in that process.

and here it is ... :cheer:

there are a couple measurement changes, but the basic process is identical to the instant pot oil infusion method. i do a two cook process, meaning i run two instant pot cook cycles with a cool down period between.

i usually start with 500 ml - 2 cups - of the vegetable glycerin ...

this is 250 ml - 1/4 cup, less than the amount of oil i would normally infuse. the reason is vg will "boil up" inside the instant pot more violently than an oil. i use a lesser amount in order to ensure it stays inside the infusion bowl i put in the instant pot.

pull out that double boiler you put together for the last Bluter's Kitchen episode and warm that vg up on a low heat.

this starts the processes and simply helps it flow better when you pour it in the infusion bowl. vg is syrupy and you wanna be able to get everything out of that bottle you paid for. it can be overly expensive for what it is i noticed... :confused:

weigh out your bud while the vg is warming ....

through a bunch of experimentation i have found 20 - 24 grams of dried bud is best for this recipe. this a bit more than is required for oil infusions. the vg does not infuse as well, and the extra tends to make up for it. you can play with amounts to hit a level you personally like. i use the same measurements for both cbd and thc base cooks. this is a cbd cook.

grind up the bud and pour that warm vegetable syrup goodness all over it ....

the bud will float. i let it soak a couple minutes to let it take up the vg and settle. can help the process a bit by pressing the bud down with a tablespoon.

don't be too finicky about it. i just get the worst of it to settle. as per regular infusion - i cover the bowl with aluminium foil before putting it in the instant pot, and i don't want too much sticking to the top.

pull out the magic machine .....

get enough water in there to just touch the bottom of the rack ...

foil up your infusion mix bowl and get 'er in there .... :)

set your instant pot up for the standard infusion time and cook settings ....

and away we go. :yummy:

now it's just keep to the set cook and cool times, and we should be ready by tomorrow. i take about a day or two to do the whole process.

quick notes :

i do a two cook process, meaning i run the exact same cycle in the instant pot twice, with a minimum 8 hr cool down period between. this helps pull more terpenes and cannabinoids out, but will effect taste. some folk may prefer a single cook, with a milder effect.

the 8 hr cool down is crucial. running a second cook too soon could destroy terpenes, cannabinoids, effect, etc.
i find the cool down needs to be more thorough with the vg than with an oil. it probably has something to do with the thickness.

letting the mix settle, or cold infuse for a longer period, at any time between or after the two cooks will enhance terpene flavours. debatable if it gains potency, but i would bet you may get some.

for a supreme treat, i will cook and jar some up with the cannabis still in, then forget about it to "cure", until the mood strikes me to strain it out and use it. this is simply adding a shorter cold infusion process to the instant pot method.

it is usable on it's own right after the first or second cook.

ding ... ! through the magic of interwebz the instant pot has finished a coupla cooks. :p

somehow thought that would be much more exciting -- -- :straightface:

get out the trusted canning strainer and cheese cloth - a la @SweetSue 's instant pot infusion straining method - it's really the best way.

get some clips and a jar and set it all up ...

and interruption . :laughtwo:

before you dig the infusion bowl out of the instant pot :

the whole instant pot method is kind of a prepare / set / walk away while it does it's thing process. -- like grandma's crock-pot. almost too easy lol. :)

if you are like me, i will set things up and let them run overnight, or when i am away at work. often i won't get to the stuff till well after it has finished it's cook.

since the vg is so thick, i will warm it in the instant pot for 5 - 10 min before straining. don't let it go too far or forget it - the stuff can re-cook uncontrolled fast - super no bueno :(

warmed carefully for straining after a good cool down.

dig it out of the instant pot

try to strain it while still warm. you'll get way more out easier. the stuff won't strain as easy as an infused oil would.

the moment you take the foil off the bowl you will see how much the stuff boils up ---

strain it out

if you do the infused oils you will see how much thicker the stuff is.

make sure to squeeze all that delicious goodness out after you have done the initial straining.

bit more hands on - -

if you wrap a baggie around the top you can get an extra squeeze out. would normally do this with gloves, but those are needed better places these days.

:cheer: :cheer::cheer:

make sure you invert the clean side of the baggie around the squeezed out weed.

keep it in the cheesecloth and all. pop the baggie in the freezer. it will keep indefinite. dump the weed - sans cheesecloth duh - in your favorite recipe for a sweet weed edible. have never tossed anything from a vg infusion. ever. so yummy. :yummy:

anyway you should end up with something like this.

will generally be deep dark honey to brown colour with green hue. :)

dropper bottles are the best way to divvy it up. i have a clean syringe and tube rig i use to help. it's not hard to take apart and clean after. i found it easier than tiny funnels.

should get something like this .. i get all drooly looking at it sometime ... :laughtwo:

dosing is 1 - 2 dropper fulls sublingual - placed under the tongue - hold it there as long as you can without swallowing. it's hard - delicious.

wait 20 - 30 min between dosing to get a clear idea of where you are going. especially with a thc tincture.

length can be close to an edible but onset is faster. way faster. :rofl:

i do mostly med stuff - but i have folk begging for the thc cooks. and well you know.
if they don't grow i just kinda shrug as i'm not in sales ... :p

to increase absorption : i recommend heating a cup of water in a microwave the same as you would a cup of coffee. place the dropper bottle in the cup for a minute or so before dosing to warm it.

flavour is about what you think the base weed would be if sweet and delicious lol :cheesygrinsmiley:

some folk report a slight "burnt" taste. sometime the weed terpenes contribute to this, but i notice it is more present in this method. there may be a slight caramelization of some of the sugars in the vg that would contribute as well. it really varies with the weed. you get a great expression of the terpene flavours, so who cares .. :cool:

extraction is decent. a flat guess is probably 70 - 75%

i really like the cbd cook stuff. i give a bunch to my folks. super great for a general hit cbd bomb .
have watched their movement and moods improve real time on dosing.

they don't even realize -- all they know is everything is ok so i'll keep doing it ... :D

happy easter guys. stay safe. connect with family if you can't be there in person.

this is my easter egg to you ... :green_heart:

I have some plants ready to harvest in the next few weeks and I'm keen to try this with fresh harvest weed.

Trying to think what could go horribly wrong?

Will the water from the fresh weed just mix into the VG?

I have some plants ready to harvest in the next few weeks and I'm keen to try this with fresh harvest weed.

Trying to think what could go horribly wrong?

Will the water from the fresh weed just mix into the VG?

it goes horribly bad when infusing oil. the water exits the plant material boiling up a mess, and lowering the temp at which the oil would decarb the weed.

i would imagine much the same happens with the vg. vg also has a latent amount of alcohol, which would not help, and changes the dynamics a bit.

I've tried fresh harvest extraction with olive oil a few times in the past and it has been fine.

If I can cut out the drying process and keep a few extra terpenes then great and hopefully keep the mash in the freezer for brownies etc

I use a one litre pyrex jug in the instant pot, so I'll I'll make sure I don't have it more than half filled.

I'll need to see how much water really comes out of it.

I've tried fresh harvest extraction with olive oil a few times in the past and it has been fine.

If I can cut out the drying process and keep a few extra terpenes then great and hopefully keep the mash in the freezer for brownies etc

I use a one litre pyrex jug in the instant pot, so I'll I'll make sure I don't have it more than half filled.

I'll need to see how much water really comes out of it.

the moisture changes the pressure, and could potentially lead to imploding the container inside the instant pot. it is the mix of heat and pressure which makes the instant pot work. even if that doesn't happen, you won't get a full decarb.

the moisture changes the pressure, and could potentially lead to imploding the container inside the instant pot. it is the mix of heat and pressure which makes the instant pot work. even if that doesn't happen, you won't get a full decarb.
Last year, I ran a fresh extraction with oil and then put the oil on my spinner hotplate and still had gas coming out when I was boiling some of the water out.
In a later extraction, I ran the instant pot every day for a week. I think I had more of a full decarb but can't remember.

For the CBD extraction that I'm going to do in the next week, I think I'll run the instant pot for 3 cycles and then probably heat the part that still has water to see if it still decarbs after the water is boiled off.
No problems with pressure as I'll just have tin foil over the pyrex jug in the pot.

Hello all,

I have been using 40gr of the lowers per 1 cup of oil. Twice through the insta for 110 minutes.

My question to everyone is how strong does one 00 cap feel?

Around my house we take 1 or 2 and it’s business as usual. Just a nice background to multiply the vaping!

Making a basic infused cannabis oil using an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker

Equipment:

* grinder
* Instant Pot pressure cooker
* small stainless bowl for pot-in-pot cooking
* foil cover for the bowl
* stirring tool
* Pyrex measuring cups
* stainless canning funnel
* piece of silk for straining
* wooden clothes pins
* storage jar for finished oil

Supplies:
* 16 grams dried undecarbed cannabis buds
* 16 ounces carrier oil of choice
* essential oils to preference

The Pictures :circle-of-love:

Your infused cannabis oil is now ready to use. If you’re using it with edibles or as part of a capsule regimen
* add 1 tablespoon of liquid sunflower lecithin for every cup of infused oil, mix well
* chill overnight in the fridge
* bring to room temperature
* stir throughly before filling capsules or using in an edible recipe

Essential oils can be added to enhance medicinal values of the oils.
Has anyone tried infused oil with flax seed oil since it increases the intensity of the oil?

Back
Top Bottom