Instant Pot Cannabis Oil: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

This is an awesome tutorial and I can't wait to try it. Thanks so much for posting it. I'm very interested in decarbing in my Instant Pot because.... well, I already have an Instant Pot, and my oven temp fluctuates a lot and I'd love to have a more consistent method.

I have a question about time. I've seen a few other guides suggest 40 minutes on the "high" high pressure setting, whereas SweetSue's tutorial suggests 110 minutes. That's quite a big variation. And I will say that most decarb guides I've read, suggest timeframes closer to the 40 minute target when temps are around 240F like with the Instant Pot in high pressure mode.

I'm sorry if there's already been a discussion on this point earlier in this thread. I did read a lot of it, but did not come across the time issue. If I just missed it, please feel free to ignore me, or if you are feeling nice, maybe point me to the correct page or post #.

Thanks for all the great contributions here!!

-Caberg

Hello all,

I just wanted to check in and see if I’m on the right track.

We enjoy flower and edibles most days and probably have a high tolerance.

That being said, I’m using 40 grams of quality lowers and mids per cup of oil. Our standard dose is 1 tsp or 2 00 caps. That works out to approximately.8 grams per dose.

Does that seem like allot to anyone else?

I run the flower through the instapot once or twice on high for 110 minutes. I use a hand blender and grind the flower into the oil inside a mason jar before the first and second round. Then I put the lid on the jar slightly loose and cover with foil and let the instapot work.

Happy holidays everyone.

HI all, new here but been reading the forum for a while and I have a question. Posting here as this was the first thread i read about instantpot.

I have seen a lot of comments on youtube etc that the instantpot cooks to 15psi (aka 250f) and thats a good temp for decarbing your product... except reading instantpots own site it mentions that the PSI's are lower

High Pressure is from 10.2 – 11.6 psi and Low Pressure is from 5.8 – 7.2 psi.

I do not know what temp 10.2-11.6 psi actually is, google did not give me a suitable calculator

So my question is, does the PSI that it actually get to suffice for getting the best out of your oil/butter infusions?

HI all, new here but been reading the forum for a while and I have a question. Posting here as this was the first thread i read about instantpot.

I have seen a lot of comments on youtube etc that the instantpot cooks to 15psi (aka 250f) and thats a good temp for decarbing your product... except reading instantpots own site it mentions that the PSI's are lower

High Pressure is from 10.2 – 11.6 psi and Low Pressure is from 5.8 – 7.2 psi.

I do not know what temp 10.2-11.6 psi actually is, google did not give me a suitable calculator

So my question is, does the PSI that it actually get to suffice for getting the best out of your oil/butter infusions?

yes.

in the thread i mention i do a double cook with a cool down period between. i have found this does make a difference over a single. i have also found subsequent cooks past 2 really doesn't do much and may even be detrimental.

not scientific. just experience.

I think 165 - 175 F is what works. That's what I've been aiming for, hope it's right.

Thanks, I sat it on the high pressure setting for the first run, then for the second run I sat it on low pressure. Will see how it turns out.

if i decarb in the oven prior to putting it in oil in the instant pot, what temp should I use to cook the oil?

you don't decarb. it decarbs in the instant pot. decarbing prior could destroy the cannabinoids if you follow the process after.

I like to steep the infusion first. I use the coconut oil as it goes great with the brownies. I use a 1:1 ratio and let the oil and cannabis cohabitate for up to a month. Then I put the jar in the slow cooker and leave for up to 24 hours, 5 at the cooking temp and another 19 at the 'Keep Warm' setting.

I also use a potato ricer to press the mash. I use cheese cloth, doubled up, to strain. And finally a funnel into a clean jar. I've found that the oil tastes less green if you let it steep.

Stay Baked!

What kind of carrier oil has the longest shelf life? I like using coconut oil because it hardens and I can separate the sludge that I don't want, but it doesn't last very long in storage outside of the freezer

Making a basic infused cannabis oil using an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker

Equipment:

* grinder
* Instant Pot pressure cooker
* small stainless bowl for pot-in-pot cooking
* foil cover for the bowl
* stirring tool
* Pyrex measuring cups
* stainless canning funnel
* piece of silk for straining
* wooden clothes pins
* storage jar for finished oil

Supplies:
* 16 grams dried undecarbed cannabis buds
* 16 ounces carrier oil of choice
* essential oils to preference

The Pictures :circle-of-love:

Your infused cannabis oil is now ready to use. If you’re using it with edibles or as part of a capsule regimen
* add 1 tablespoon of liquid sunflower lecithin for every cup of infused oil, mix well
* chill overnight in the fridge
* bring to room temperature
* stir throughly before filling capsules or using in an edible recipe

Essential oils can be added to enhance medicinal values of the oils.
Instead of hand squeezing it, I have a Norwalk Juice machine which has a Hydraulic Press. If I try your recipe I think I'll try to use my Hydraulic press instead of hand squeezing it. thanks, great demo.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks to SweetSue for turning us on to this process! I've made several batches of gummies using the Instant Pot method and thought I would share my process. I make small batches but I think can easily be up-sized. So far I am very pleased with the results!

As always I am open to suggestions for improvement. This past batch was made with some OG Kush (approximately 22% THC) that has been in a jar for about 16 months - so not a tasty smoke but makes decent gummies.

I've perused this thread and combined notes to end up with the following process:

Instant Pot - Decarb / Infusion / Gummies

Infusion Ingredients
6-7 grams dried bud broken up but not ground
4-5 oz coconut oil.

Decarb - place broken up buds in heat-safe container (lid finger tight only) and place in Instapot on the metal trivet; add about a cup of water just to bottom of trivet. Press manual / high pressure. Adjust time to heat for 50 mins (manual) to decarb. No keep warm. Quick press release. When done buds will be brownish. You can keep dry decarbed buds in fridge or freezer for a several months. Same with infused oil.

To infuse - add coconut oil to completely cover the decarbed flower and stir to mix (I'm thinking butter or other oil would be same process). Place container (lid on) back into the instapot for another 50 mins on high (manual). No keep warm. Quick release. Same as decarb settings.

{This is how I usually do it, but this last time I infused for 50 minutes, then set the container in the garage overnight (got down to 40F). The next day the infused oil was congealed all around those decarbed buds, sucking up all the THC goodness! I did another infusion same as first - 50 mins on high. So once to decarb for 50 mins, then once to infuse, then cool overnight, then a second infusion. Will see if this improves the result. So far seems about the same strength as only one infusion but will know for sure in a few days.}

When instapot is finished, strain oil / flower mixture into a Pyrex glass measuring cup using a 80 micron nut juice bag or fine mesh metal strainer. You may only get 3-4 oz oil back out. Let it drip (rather than squeeze) while you make Jello.

Gummy Ingredients:
3-4 oz decarbed oil infusion.
1/2 cup cold water
1 3oz pack Jello (lime or strawberry banana hides the weed taste)
2 sm packs of Knox gelatin (half oz total).
2-3 Tbsp sweetener (agave, corn syrup, honey, etc). If desired - imo not needed.
1/2 teaspoon lecithin powder or oil (I used powder).
1/8 teaspoon potassium sorbate SOLUTION (Solution = 1 Tbsp PS powder + 3 Tbsp water). You need very little of the solution. Make a small batch and store in fridge.

Strain infused oil into glass measuring cup. Let it drip slowly while you make the Jello. Squeezing will add undesirable flavor / particles. Ideally you end up with 3-4 ounces of oil. Discard the remaining oily flower - it has served it’s purpose. Infused oil will keep in a sealed jar for several months.

In a saucepan sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon lecithin on top of 3/4 cup COLD water and stir (lecithin will help the infusion oil and jello mix together). Add Jello packet and gelatin and mix well. Add 1/8 tsp potassium sorbate solution and stir well. Let sit a few mins COLD. I once had a batch get moldy in the fridge after 2 weeks - the PS solution will prevent that.

After a few minutes place on medium / low heat and stir constantly until well mixed, just starting to boil. Add the infusion oil. Keep stirring until it just starts to boil again, then remove from heat. Stir like crazy as it cools and thickens. It will look like the oil is not mixing in, but continue stirring. As it cools it will thicken up a bit and the oil will start to mix in - this is what you want. Keep stirring. Once the oil and Jello are well mixed (liquid will thicken slightly) and oil no longer pools on surface, it’s ready to pour into molds.

Use dropper or squeeze bottle and pour into molds, KEEP STIRRING the pot or the oil will separate / solidify. Pouring the jello mix into a squeeze bottle works really well - gently shake it regularly to keep mixed evenly. It will be hot so use padded glove or folded dish towel.

Let molds cool on plates on counter for a few mins then place in fridge or freezer (keep on plate) for at least 2-3 hours to set. After removing from silicone molds, place gummies in baggie or container. To make sour you can crush up a few vitamin C tablets into powder and sprinkle onto gummies. I store in baggies in the fridge where they should be good for a few months. I’ve not yet tried storing at room temp or in freezer.

Makes approximately (45) 3.5ml gummies. I'm guessing about 6-7 mg THC per gummy but I could be wrong about that.

I take one before bed and sleep like a baby.

I've perused this thread and combined notes to end up with the following process:

Instant Pot - Decarb / Infusion / Gummies

Infusion Ingredients
6-7 grams dried bud broken up but not ground
4-5 oz coconut oil.

Decarb - place broken up buds in heat-safe container (lid finger tight only) and place in Instapot on the metal trivet; add about a cup of water just to bottom of trivet. Press manual / high pressure. Adjust time to heat for 50 mins (manual) to decarb. No keep warm. Quick press release. When done buds will be brownish. You can keep dry decarbed buds in fridge or freezer for a several months. Same with infused oil.

To infuse - add coconut oil to completely cover the decarbed flower and stir to mix (I'm thinking butter or other oil would be same process). Place container (lid on) back into the instapot for another 50 mins on high (manual). No keep warm. Quick release. Same as decarb settings.

{This is how I usually do it, but this last time I infused for 50 minutes, then set the container in the garage overnight (got down to 40F). The next day the infused oil was congealed all around those decarbed buds, sucking up all the THC goodness! I did another infusion same as first - 50 mins on high. So once to decarb for 50 mins, then once to infuse, then cool overnight, then a second infusion. Will see if this improves the result. So far seems about the same strength as only one infusion but will know for sure in a few days.}

When instapot is finished, strain oil / flower mixture into a Pyrex glass measuring cup using a 80 micron nut juice bag or fine mesh metal strainer. You may only get 3-4 oz oil back out. Let it drip (rather than squeeze) while you make Jello.

Gummy Ingredients:
3-4 oz decarbed oil infusion.
1/2 cup cold water
1 3oz pack Jello (lime or strawberry banana hides the weed taste)
2 sm packs of Knox gelatin (half oz total).
2-3 Tbsp sweetener (agave, corn syrup, honey, etc). If desired - imo not needed.
1/2 teaspoon lecithin powder or oil (I used powder).
1/8 teaspoon potassium sorbate SOLUTION (Solution = 1 Tbsp PS powder + 3 Tbsp water). You need very little of the solution. Make a small batch and store in fridge.

Strain infused oil into glass measuring cup. Let it drip slowly while you make the Jello. Squeezing will add undesirable flavor / particles. Ideally you end up with 3-4 ounces of oil. Discard the remaining oily flower - it has served it’s purpose. Infused oil will keep in a sealed jar for several months.

In a saucepan sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon lecithin on top of 3/4 cup COLD water and stir (lecithin will help the infusion oil and jello mix together). Add Jello packet and gelatin and mix well. Add 1/8 tsp potassium sorbate solution and stir well. Let sit a few mins COLD. I once had a batch get moldy in the fridge after 2 weeks - the PS solution will prevent that.

After a few minutes place on medium / low heat and stir constantly until well mixed, just starting to boil. Add the infusion oil. Keep stirring until it just starts to boil again, then remove from heat. Stir like crazy as it cools and thickens. It will look like the oil is not mixing in, but continue stirring. As it cools it will thicken up a bit and the oil will start to mix in - this is what you want. Keep stirring. Once the oil and Jello are well mixed (liquid will thicken slightly) and oil no longer pools on surface, it’s ready to pour into molds.

Use dropper or squeeze bottle and pour into molds, KEEP STIRRING the pot or the oil will separate / solidify. Pouring the jello mix into a squeeze bottle works really well - gently shake it regularly to keep mixed evenly. It will be hot so use padded glove or folded dish towel.

Let molds cool on plates on counter for a few mins then place in fridge or freezer (keep on plate) for at least 2-3 hours to set. After removing from silicone molds, place gummies in baggie or container. To make sour you can crush up a few vitamin C tablets into powder and sprinkle onto gummies. I store in baggies in the fridge where they should be good for a few months. I’ve not yet tried storing at room temp or in freezer.

Makes approximately (45) 3.5ml gummies. I'm guessing about 6-7 mg THC per gummy but I could be wrong about that.

I take one before bed and sleep like a baby.
This pretty close to my method of making gummies, only I use a little less gelatin, and I use citric acid instead of sweetener. Makes them sour, but it's powerful stuff. A little goes a long way!

Back
Top Bottom