Instant Pot Cannabis Oil: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

This pretty close to my method of making gummies, only I use a little less gelatin, and I use citric acid instead of sweetener. Makes them sour, but it's powerful stuff. A little goes a long way!
Right on!

I swear, using the Instant Pot is the best way to do it! Well, it's the only way i've done it, so there's that. But it really is easy and foolproof. I've probably made 7-8 batches and I only had issues twice. Once when I did not let the mixture cool enough while stirring and the gummies kinda separated. The second issue happened when I sprayed the silicone molds with non-stick cooking spray, and two weeks later I noticed mold. Had to throw it all out. I don't spray any more. Just clean the molds really well after each use.

Have you ever tried the second infusion?

Hey Bluter very nice write up. :thanks:

Ive got a question.
The first method you mentioned taking decarbed weed soaked in vg for months on end.

In the instantpot method do you need to decarb first?

I have tried the first method but I didn't decarb first. So I have a ½ ounce of Durbin poison soaking in vg for almost 2 years now. Every now and then I'll take it out and get a popsicle stick lick out of it. It taste super yummy, but thats all it is. Ive heard that weed will naturally decarb over time. Im not sure about in vg though.
What's a "vg"?

For the low cost of the Instant Pot..... what this piece of equipment did to simplify my life. :battingeyelashes: I set it up and walk away, often letting it cycle overnight. I let mine cool completely before I open it. It may increase the decarb and potency, but I do so because it’s convienient.
Can you cook it longer? Will this affect the final product?

Making a basic infused cannabis oil using an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker

Equipment:

* grinder
* Instant Pot pressure cooker
* small stainless bowl for pot-in-pot cooking
* foil cover for the bowl
* stirring tool
* Pyrex measuring cups
* stainless canning funnel
* piece of silk for straining
* wooden clothes pins
* storage jar for finished oil

Supplies:
* 16 grams dried undecarbed cannabis buds
* 16 ounces carrier oil of choice
* essential oils to preference

The Pictures :circle-of-love:

For the low cost of the Instant Pot..... what this piece of equipment did to simplify my life. :battingeyelashes: I set it up and walk away, often letting it cycle overnight. I let mine cool completely before I open it. It may increase the decarb and potency, but I do so because it’s convienient.

Your infused cannabis oil is now ready to use. If you’re using it with edibles or as part of a capsule regimen
* add 1 tablespoon of liquid sunflower lecithin for every cup of infused oil, mix well
* chill overnight in the fridge
* bring to room temperature
* stir throughly before filling capsules or using in an edible recipe

Essential oils can be added to enhance medicinal values of the oils.

Can you cook it longer? Will that affect the final product?

depends on a few factors. how much you are infusing, and whether you're doing it in one container or multiple inside the instant pot. i do a double cook in a larger batch with a minimum 8hr cool down period between the cooks.

I've perused this thread and combined notes to end up with the following process:

Instant Pot - Decarb / Infusion / Gummies

Infusion Ingredients
6-7 grams dried bud broken up but not ground
4-5 oz coconut oil.

Decarb - place broken up buds in heat-safe container (lid finger tight only) and place in Instapot on the metal trivet; add about a cup of water just to bottom of trivet. Press manual / high pressure. Adjust time to heat for 50 mins (manual) to decarb. No keep warm. Quick press release. When done buds will be brownish. You can keep dry decarbed buds in fridge or freezer for a several months. Same with infused oil.

To infuse - add coconut oil to completely cover the decarbed flower and stir to mix (I'm thinking butter or other oil would be same process). Place container (lid on) back into the instapot for another 50 mins on high (manual). No keep warm. Quick release. Same as decarb settings.

{This is how I usually do it, but this last time I infused for 50 minutes, then set the container in the garage overnight (got down to 40F). The next day the infused oil was congealed all around those decarbed buds, sucking up all the THC goodness! I did another infusion same as first - 50 mins on high. So once to decarb for 50 mins, then once to infuse, then cool overnight, then a second infusion. Will see if this improves the result. So far seems about the same strength as only one infusion but will know for sure in a few days.}

When instapot is finished, strain oil / flower mixture into a Pyrex glass measuring cup using a 80 micron nut juice bag or fine mesh metal strainer. You may only get 3-4 oz oil back out. Let it drip (rather than squeeze) while you make Jello.

Gummy Ingredients:
3-4 oz decarbed oil infusion.
1/2 cup cold water
1 3oz pack Jello (lime or strawberry banana hides the weed taste)
2 sm packs of Knox gelatin (half oz total).
2-3 Tbsp sweetener (agave, corn syrup, honey, etc). If desired - imo not needed.
1/2 teaspoon lecithin powder or oil (I used powder).
1/8 teaspoon potassium sorbate SOLUTION (Solution = 1 Tbsp PS powder + 3 Tbsp water). You need very little of the solution. Make a small batch and store in fridge.

Strain infused oil into glass measuring cup. Let it drip slowly while you make the Jello. Squeezing will add undesirable flavor / particles. Ideally you end up with 3-4 ounces of oil. Discard the remaining oily flower - it has served it’s purpose. Infused oil will keep in a sealed jar for several months.

In a saucepan sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon lecithin on top of 3/4 cup COLD water and stir (lecithin will help the infusion oil and jello mix together). Add Jello packet and gelatin and mix well. Add 1/8 tsp potassium sorbate solution and stir well. Let sit a few mins COLD. I once had a batch get moldy in the fridge after 2 weeks - the PS solution will prevent that.

After a few minutes place on medium / low heat and stir constantly until well mixed, just starting to boil. Add the infusion oil. Keep stirring until it just starts to boil again, then remove from heat. Stir like crazy as it cools and thickens. It will look like the oil is not mixing in, but continue stirring. As it cools it will thicken up a bit and the oil will start to mix in - this is what you want. Keep stirring. Once the oil and Jello are well mixed (liquid will thicken slightly) and oil no longer pools on surface, it’s ready to pour into molds.

Use dropper or squeeze bottle and pour into molds, KEEP STIRRING the pot or the oil will separate / solidify. Pouring the jello mix into a squeeze bottle works really well - gently shake it regularly to keep mixed evenly. It will be hot so use padded glove or folded dish towel.

Let molds cool on plates on counter for a few mins then place in fridge or freezer (keep on plate) for at least 2-3 hours to set. After removing from silicone molds, place gummies in baggie or container. To make sour you can crush up a few vitamin C tablets into powder and sprinkle onto gummies. I store in baggies in the fridge where they should be good for a few months. I’ve not yet tried storing at room temp or in freezer.

Makes approximately (45) 3.5ml gummies. I'm guessing about 6-7 mg THC per gummy but I could be wrong about that.

I take one before bed and sleep like a baby.
I made some gummies the other day using this recipe - I've modified it slightly but this same process has been working great for me. This latest batch turned out different. I used 4 grams of some Wedding Cake and 4 grams of a recent harvest of SFV OG. The Wedding Cake was kinda stoney compared to the SFV. I like it because it helps me sleep. I usually take one gummy before bed. I decided to blend the two just to see what the effects would be.

After I was done making gummies and while cleaning up I slurped up the remnants off the pans and utensils. I guessed about 2 gummies worth - but it had to have been WAY more than that. Now I've tripped on acid a few times, and I gotta say this was the first time that weed gave me a similar experience. About 2 hours later I was tripping balls. Not stoned in the couch but very enlightened and motivated. My mind was racing. At one point I was convinced I had solved the secret to the universe - and here it is:

Time travel is possible. Frequencies are the key. With your mind and body tuned to the right frequency (the universe hums along at 432 Hz) you can move anywhere, anytime. But only in the past - I have not experienced the future yet so I would have no clue on where / when to go. This blew my mind. I was convinced that I could now travel to any point in the past - but that is where I would continue my journey. No going back to this time and place. This timeline would end and a new one would begin. Whoah.

Where / when to go? Did I really wish to leave all of this behind and start over in the past? Would I retain my memories - and use this knowledge for financial / personal gain? Have others done this already? *looks around*

Very trippy experience. Before I could find this elusive magic frequency I drifted off to sleep. But it has me wondering for sure. The next night I took two gummies to try and replicate the experience - but it was different. More like my usual gummy buzz, just a little stronger. That first night must have been at least 3 gummies worth. I may try that again.

Oh Man - I love when I solve problems I didn't know I had!!!! Lately the best thing that is workling for me is my weed dust that is left over from doing a 40% alcohol Sambuca wash. If I put about a teaspoon in food, within the hour I'm off and it lasts for hours. I think hot food works best. Last nite I used toasted bagels with jam witrh about a half teaspoon. Aaaaaannnnnddddd.....Happy New Year!!!
I kinda like how it is like Forest Gumps chocolates - "Ya never know what yer gonna get!!" :ciao: :yahoo:

has anyone tried using a sealed canning jar in the instapot instead of a bowl with foil on it? pretty much like canning veggies

update: Trying is now, I'll let you know if it works
I believe my recipe for a 1:1 is posted in this thread. I've since added an additional step to my process. Recap: I grind up an ounce of flower to a cup of coconut oil (whatever oil you like) and mix, the longer you let it steep the less green flavor you get, my experience... I use small jelly/jam jars for my cooking, it is basically an air/water tight jar and doens't break under the heat in the instapot. I usually hit slow cook and let it sit for 5 or more hours. I use a potato ricer to strain the oil from the flower material. Once I've collected the oil it goes straight into a pyrex container and into the oven at 235 degrees for at least another hour. I found a substantial increase in the activation of my finished product after further heating. I typically make brownies and or gel caps. I've also started using this method for my CBD extractions as well. Once I've got the 1-1 oil I may cut it with straight coconut oil for the desired milligram per gel cap. I make gel caps from 2.5 milligrams to 10 milligrams and sometimes mix the THC oil with the CBD. Typically those are 5 milligrams of each.

Stay Baked

I believe my recipe for a 1:1 is posted in this thread. I've since added an additional step to my process. Recap: I grind up an ounce of flower to a cup of coconut oil (whatever oil you like) and mix, the longer you let it steep the less green flavor you get, my experience... I use small jelly/jam jars for my cooking, it is basically an air/water tight jar and doens't break under the heat in the instapot. I usually hit slow cook and let it sit for 5 or more hours. I use a potato ricer to strain the oil from the flower material. Once I've collected the oil it goes straight into a pyrex container and into the oven at 235 degrees for at least another hour. I found a substantial increase in the activation of my finished product after further heating. I typically make brownies and or gel caps. I've also started using this method for my CBD extractions as well. Once I've got the 1-1 oil I may cut it with straight coconut oil for the desired milligram per gel cap. I make gel caps from 2.5 milligrams to 10 milligrams and sometimes mix the THC oil with the CBD. Typically those are 5 milligrams of each.

Stay Baked
I did 18 grams of flowers with 2 cups of light olive oil. Dry ground the flowers and transfered both into one 1 pt Ball canning jar and sealed it up with the lid. I processed in a 6 qt instapot with one cup of water on pressure cook for 110 minutes. Worked like a charm. I filtered thru a cheese cloth and Sat. I'll run thru a 100 mesh (150 micron) filter that coming. It's potent enough for me for now, got a good buzz on 1/2 ml....

I did 18 grams of flowers with 2 cups of light olive oil. Dry ground the flowers and transfered both into one 1 pt Ball canning jar and sealed it up with the lid. I processed in a 6 qt instapot with one cup of water on pressure cook for 110 minutes. Worked like a charm. I filtered thru a cheese cloth and Sat. I'll run thru a 100 mesh (150 micron) filter that coming. It's potent enough for me for now, got a good buzz on 1/2 ml....

FYI, you don't need to pressure cook just heat the contents to boiling. IMO adding pressure to the cooking only risks the integrity of the jar and/ or lid. This could lead to shattering the jar or compromising the seal and getting water into the oil. I haven't measured the amount of oil in a gel cap but Im guessing 1\4 tsp is about right.

Happy Cooking!!! :welldone:

FYI, you don't need to pressure cook just heat the contents to boiling. IMO adding pressure to the cooking only risks the integrity of the jar and/ or lid. This could lead to shattering the jar or compromising the seal and getting water into the oil. I haven't measured the amount of oil in a gel cap but Im guessing 1\4 tsp is about right.

Happy Cooking!!! :welldone:
I can tons of veggies this way, same procedure for canning veggies. Ball jars are designed for heating in a pressure cooker and sterilizing, no risk at all. it comes out at ~235f (10.5-11 psi) . The instapot also has a timing function, makes it easy, set and forget. Comes out vacuumed sealed.

update: I do not do a fast release

@Agemon is correct @dba1954

you can use canning jars but don't seal them all the way. you can even do mutiples with different strains if your instant pot is large enough. they can and do explode though, it's been covered in the thread previous i believe.

@Agemon is correct @dba1954

you can use canning jars but don't seal them all the way. you can even do mutiples with different strains if your instant pot is large enough. they can and do explode though, it's been covered in the thread previous i believe.
I can't see why. Hot olive oil does not expand mush at all at 235f and has a low vapor pressure. I have seen some articles that doing so with food long term can cause botulism (anaerobic bacteria) but not exploding. With canning you must use a tivet and always leave 3/4" or more head space. I would be interested in any articles on this . I want to understand the mechanism that would cause this

that being said I probably would only use dried cannabis, fresh cut could be unpredictable with the water content

that being said I probably would only use dried cannabis, fresh cut could be unpredictable with the water content

it is about the water content. even dried there can be enough. the process works a bit better if the weed is not dust dry.

it is about the water content. even dried there can be enough. the process works a bit better if the weed is not dust dry.
I'll just consider myself lucky, I have 3/4 of a pint of extract that is very potent and the jar that held up. The pot was down to ~50% humidity (storage jar) that I use. btw I also filtered to 10-20 micron and it's crsytal clear.

. The pot was down to ~50% humidity (storage jar) that I use.

that's about perfect for infusion.

btw I also filtered to 10-20 micron and it's crsytal clear.

i use a cheesecloth lol.
you kinda want a little material. i infuse a few things, but mostly coconut oil for caps.

that's about perfect for infusion.

i use a cheesecloth lol.
you kinda want a little material. i infuse a few things, but mostly coconut oil for caps.
i did not want material left in the oil for a few reasons. The first is THC is 100% soluble in oil as are the other Cannabinoids. The extraction yielded a very potent extract so I'm pretty sure the extraction was complete. I also want to get rid of unneeded organic matter to possibly increase shelf live and I also wanted to limit the 'green' taste as much as possible. The last one I'm not sure if I accomplished as it still has the taste 'green'... those are my thoughts, If I do again I would probably do it exactly the same.

Has any one added flavoring oils to their extracts?

Back
Top Bottom