Instant Pot Cannabis Oil: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

It sure is more convenient doing it in one pass with the IP.

What do you use for your recipe?
The batch from last night turned out pretty good!

Here is my recipe (I plagiarized most of it from comments above and several Youtube videos I watched):

Infusion Ingredients
8 grams dried bud broken up but not ground
4-5 oz coconut oil.

Decarb - place broken up buds in heat-safe container (lid finger tight only) and place in Instapot on the metal trivet; add about 2 cups of water just to bottom of trivet. Press manual / high pressure. Adjust time to heat for 50 mins (manual) to decarb. No keep warm. Quick press release. When done buds will be brownish. You can keep dry decarbed buds in fridge or freezer for a several months. Same with infused oil.

To infuse - add coconut oil to completely cover the decarbed flower; stir well to coat all flower. Place container (lid on) back into the instapot for another 50 mins on high (manual). No keep warm. Quick release. Same as decarb settings.

When instapot is finished, strain oil / flower mixture into a Pyrex glass measuring cup using a 80 micron nut juice bag or fine mesh metal strainer. You may only get 3-4 oz oil back out. Let it drip (rather than squeeze) while you make Jello.

Gummy Ingredients:
3-4 oz decarbed oil infusion.
3/4 cup cold water
1 3oz pack Jello (lime or strawberry banana hides the weed taste)
2 sm packs of Knox gelatin (half oz total). 3 Tbsp
2-3 Tbsp sweetener (agave, corn syrup, honey, etc). If desired - not needed.
1/2 teaspoon lecithin powder or oil.
1/8 teaspoon potassium sorbate SOLUTION (Solution = 1 Tbsp PS powder + 3 Tbsp water). You need very little of the solution. Make a small batch and store in fridge.

Strain infused oil into glass measuring cup. Let it drip slowly while you make the Jello. Squeezing will add undesirable flavor / particles. Ideally you end up with 3-4 ounces of oil. Discard the remaining oily flower - it has served it’s purpose. Infused oil will keep in a sealed jar for several months.

In a saucepan add 1/8 tsp potassium sorbate solution to 3/4 cup COLD water and stir. Add Jello packet and gelatin and stir well. Let sit a few mins COLD. I had a batch get moldy in the fridge after 2 weeks - the PS solution will prevent that.

After a few minutes place on medium / low heat and stir constantly until well mixed, just starting to boil. Add the infusion oil and liquid lecithin (will help the infusion oil and jello mix together - I found it's better to add the lecithin when infusing the coconut oil).

Keep stirring until it just starts to boil again, then remove from heat. Stir like crazy as it cools and thickens. It will look like the oil is not mixing in, but continue stirring. As it cools it will thicken up a bit and the oil will start to mix in - this is what you want. Keep stirring. Once the oil and Jello are well mixed (liquid will thicken slightly) and oil no longer pools on surface, it’s ready to pour into molds.

Use dropper or squeeze bottle and pour into molds, KEEP STIRRING the pot or the oil will separate / solidify. Pouring the jello mix into a squeeze bottle works really well - gently shake it regularly to keep mixed evenly. It will be hot so use padded glove or folded dish towel.

Let molds cool on plates on counter for a few mins then place in fridge or freezer (keep on plate) for at least 2-3 hours to set. After removing from silicone molds, place gummies in baggie or container. To make sour you can crush up a few vitamin C tablets into powder and sprinkle onto gummies. I store in the fridge where they should be good for a few months. I’ve not yet tried storing at room temp or in freezer. (Got mold again after 2 months so use em up!)

Makes approximately (45) 3.5ml gummies.

I take one before bed and sleep like a baby (up all night crying and pooped in my jammies). OK I’m kidding about the last part.

Using the recipe above I get about 50 doses, which I think is about 160mg of dried flower per dose.
Does anyone know how many mg of bud is used per bongload?
Just eyeballing it I think I could get more than 50 bong hits out of 8 grams.

Interesting.

I do a 50 minute decarb and a 50 minute infusion. One time I did both for a LOT longer but I honestly did not see much of a difference.
Thanks for the recipe! I was going to ask about the time, as yours is about 1/2 of what SweetSue used to get complete decarb/infusion for hers and she ran the combined decarb/infusion process twice with an 8 hour cool down in between. Interesting that you haven't noticed any difference.

Where do you get the potassium sorbets? I picked up the other stuff at the grocery store but didn't see that ingredient. I'm going to try this with my next harvest.

The batch from last night turned out pretty good!

Here is my recipe (I plagiarized most of it from comments above and several Youtube videos I watched):

Infusion Ingredients
4-5 oz coconut oil.

Decarb - place broken up buds in heat-safe container (lid finger tight only) and place in Instapot on the metal trivet; add about 2 cups of water just to bottom of trivet. Press manual / high pressure. Adjust time to heat for 50 mins (manual) to decarb. No keep warm. Quick press release. When done buds will be brownish. You can keep dry decarbed buds in fridge or freezer for a several months. Same with infused oil.

To infuse - add coconut oil to completely cover the decarbed flower; stir well to coat all flower. Place container (lid on) back into the instapot for another 50 mins on high (manual). No keep warm. Quick release. Same as decarb settings.

When instapot is finished, strain oil / flower mixture into a Pyrex glass measuring cup using a 80 micron nut juice bag or fine mesh metal strainer. You may only get 3-4 oz oil back out. Let it drip (rather than squeeze) while you make Jello.

Gummy Ingredients:
3-4 oz decarbed oil infusion.
3/4 cup cold water
1 3oz pack Jello (lime or strawberry banana hides the weed taste)
2 sm packs of Knox gelatin (half oz total). 3 Tbsp
2-3 Tbsp sweetener (agave, corn syrup, honey, etc). If desired - not needed.
1/2 teaspoon lecithin powder or oil.
1/8 teaspoon potassium sorbate SOLUTION (Solution = 1 Tbsp PS powder + 3 Tbsp water). You need very little of the solution. Make a small batch and store in fridge.

Strain infused oil into glass measuring cup. Let it drip slowly while you make the Jello. Squeezing will add undesirable flavor / particles. Ideally you end up with 3-4 ounces of oil. Discard the remaining oily flower - it has served it’s purpose. Infused oil will keep in a sealed jar for several months.

In a saucepan add 1/8 tsp potassium sorbate solution to 3/4 cup COLD water and stir. Add Jello packet and gelatin and stir well. Let sit a few mins COLD. I had a batch get moldy in the fridge after 2 weeks - the PS solution will prevent that.

After a few minutes place on medium / low heat and stir constantly until well mixed, just starting to boil. Add the infusion oil and liquid lecithin (will help the infusion oil and jello mix together - I found it's better to add the lecithin when infusing the coconut oil).

Keep stirring until it just starts to boil again, then remove from heat. Stir like crazy as it cools and thickens. It will look like the oil is not mixing in, but continue stirring. As it cools it will thicken up a bit and the oil will start to mix in - this is what you want. Keep stirring. Once the oil and Jello are well mixed (liquid will thicken slightly) and oil no longer pools on surface, it’s ready to pour into molds.

Use dropper or squeeze bottle and pour into molds, KEEP STIRRING the pot or the oil will separate / solidify. Pouring the jello mix into a squeeze bottle works really well - gently shake it regularly to keep mixed evenly. It will be hot so use padded glove or folded dish towel.

Let molds cool on plates on counter for a few mins then place in fridge or freezer (keep on plate) for at least 2-3 hours to set. After removing from silicone molds, place gummies in baggie or container. To make sour you can crush up a few vitamin C tablets into powder and sprinkle onto gummies. I store in the fridge where they should be good for a few months. I’ve not yet tried storing at room temp or in freezer. (Got mold again after 2 months so use em up!)

I take one before bed and sleep like a baby (up all night crying and pooped in my jammies). OK I’m kidding about the last part.
Just some input we do sugar free cherry/lime , strawberry/kiwi , lemon/ lime gummies we found they tend to mold and shrivel when refrigerated so we started use citric acid as a preservative they seem to keep alot longer than if you don't to do the multi flavor gummies just fill the molds half way let harden then fill up the rest of the way with the other flavor if you put a void in it you can fill the void with oil as well Just some ideas

And how does one "put a void

And how does one "put a void in it

And how does one "put a void in itgrapes and tooth picks the molds are Bigger than regular gummies molds

And how does one "put a void in it?"
We use grapes and took picks the mold we use are bigger than the regular gummie molds we use MCT oil for inside MCT oil is fractionated coconut oil that actually absorbs more THC or CBD than regular coconut oil and it's good for you it's a pain in the ass to do so we don't do it very often need to work on that process a little more we were going to try to inject it in there maybe in the future

IMG_20230217_061718.jpg

8 grams of a 15% strain with a 70% extraction rate (because no squeezing) divided among 45 gummies gives about 18.67mg per gummy, or about twice the 10% maximum single dose many states allow to be sold in their dispensaries.

(8,000 x 0.15 x 0.70 / 45 = 18.66667)

I'm going to use a CBD strain and a minimal daily dose of CBD is supposed to be 60mg according to the docs in this video so I'll have to increase my front end.

We use grapes and took picks the mold we use are bigger than the regular gummie molds we use MCT oil for inside MCT oil is fractionated coconut oil that actually absorbs more THC or CBD than regular coconut oil and it's good for you it's a pain in the ass to do so we don't do it very often need to work on that process a little more we were going to try to inject it in there maybe in the future

IMG_20230217_061718.jpg
So do you fill the mold part way, add a grape with a toothpick and let it firm up, remove the grap and fill with your oil, then cover with more jello mix?

I'm not quite picturing your setup.

I'll be honest my better half does all the edibles I just grow the product and press the oils you want some KICK ASS edibles press out some solventess rosin and drop that in when infusing HOLY SHIT I use my old pucks and pressing bags from pressing rosin WOW I don't dare see what the mg's are but for me the stronger just like I like my flowers the better that's just the less I have to eat or smoke

Two interesting items in the past few comments. The Ardent oil infuser and the Fractionated Coco Oil. Both available on The Zon. Ardent is 3 bills, and the oil is $30 for 32oz. Just what I need to make my extractions that much better and higher!

:surf:

Thanks for the recipe! I was going to ask about the time, as yours is about 1/2 of what SweetSue used to get complete decarb/infusion for hers and she ran the combined decarb/infusion process twice with an 8 hour cool down in between. Interesting that you haven't noticed any difference.

Where do you get the potassium sorbets? I picked up the other stuff at the grocery store but didn't see that ingredient. I'm going to try this with my next harvest.
I purchased powdered PS from zon, then mixed to make liquid. I store the liquid in the fridge. It lasts a long time.

8 grams of a 15% strain with a 70% extraction rate (because no squeezing) divided among 45 gummies gives about 18.67mg per gummy, or about twice the 10% maximum single dose many states allow to be sold in their dispensaries.

(8,000 x 0.15 x 0.70 / 45 = 18.66667)

I'm going to use a CBD strain and a minimal daily dose of CBD is supposed to be 60mg according to the docs in this video so I'll have to increase my front end.
Very interesting.
My gummies are no where near that strong. I’m guessing about 5-7 mg THC per, so I’m thinking I have an opportunity to increase potency somewhere.

I tried the one hour, then wait overnight, then infuse for an hour. Seemed like potency was same as 50 mins.

Very interesting.
My gummies are no where near that strong. I’m guessing about 5-7 mg THC per, so I’m thinking I have an opportunity to increase potency somewhere.

I tried the one hour, then wait overnight, then infuse for an hour. Seemed like potency was same as 50 mins.
Try the longer cycle of 1hr, 50 min for either one or two cycles. If you think you're at 5-7 mg per gummy, that's about 1/3 of what it could be with a full decarb.

And not that there's anything wrong with the acidic versions of the cannabinoids. I use most of mine in the THC-A, CBD-A, etc. state.

But I do so for the medical benefits. If you're looking for the psychoactive effect, a longer decarb is likely key.

hello to all participants! Thank you for your invaluable contribution to such an important matter as the study of cannabis extraction methods! The best community I've met!!!
I don't want to create a separate topic, so I'll ask here: how do you use the leftover grass after pressing? Perhaps there is some recipe?
I apologize for my English)

hello to all participants! Thank you for your invaluable contribution to such an important matter as the study of cannabis extraction methods! The best community I've met!!!
I don't want to create a separate topic, so I'll ask here: how do you use the leftover grass after pressing? Perhaps there is some recipe?
I apologize for my English)
We use the pressing bag and puck for our edibles cookies, gummies, after pressing then put that in the compost pile and rewash the pressing bag for a couple more uses ✌️

Back
Top Bottom