Instant Pot Cannabis Oil: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

How is thus different from the cbd oil we buy
The process???

And what kind of CBD oil? Hemp oil with no THC , or actual cannabis oil from non hemp plants

No THC oil sold in drugs stores all over oklahoma.
Think u need some punctuation
No it isn't or No, it is sold everywhere

Still not fully understanding you

Any oil you buy will never be as good as making your own
You know what's in it exactly, can cater it too your needs by adding thc or CBD to your levels

Sorry hate my phone sometimes... You answered my question thanks.

Glad we got you the answer I’mOne. :hug: There’s really not much comparison beyond the molecules themselves. With no quality control in place those oils sold all across America are pretty much all suspect.

And thanks @Chris Scorpio. :hug: Good answers. You sir, have been paying attention. Lol! :kisstwo:

@SweetSue
Newbie to making oil.. I always gave all my smaller buds, trimmings to my friend in return for his help trimming bud... So this will be my first run.. I have three, 5 gallon buckets packed full of small buds that I did not feel like manicuring and all the bud trimmings...

Is there any way I can make oil using said ingredients utilizing a crock pot? I don’t have a pressure cooker.

Should I still go with 16 grams of dried cannabis buds, when I have all the smaller buds and trimmings mixed together in buckets.? . I’m noticing in your pics you have nice looking “buds”, and if what I am using would affect the ratio..

Am I to assume that the process of making oil is going to stink up my house?

Just trying to not have a repeat with the way my buddy made the last batch of oil, way to strong, I lost two days of my life on that batch!!! :p

@SweetSue
Newbie to making oil.. I always gave all my smaller buds, trimmings to my friend in return for his help trimming bud... So this will be my first run.. I have three, 5 gallon buckets packed full of small buds that I did not feel like manicuring and all the bud trimmings...

Is there any way I can make oil using said ingredients utilizing a crock pot? I don’t have a pressure cooker.

Should I still go with 16 grams of dried cannabis buds, when I have all the smaller buds and trimmings mixed together in buckets.? . I’m noticing in your pics you have nice looking “buds”, and if what I am using would affect the ratio..

Am I to assume that the process of making oil is going to stink up my house?

Just trying to not have a repeat with the way my buddy made the last batch of oil, way to strong, I lost two days of my life on that batch!!! :p
Not everybody uses a Instant pot, that is just one method. I personally use a crock pot and a digital thermometer to keep track of the temps. Some crock pots get very hot; upwards of 260 degrees and the low or high setting only changes the time it takes to heat up and not the temp itself. You need to do a bit of math for your weed/oil. How strong is the weed? Is it average, above average? I can help a bit and get you a finished product that is a bit more usable for the "newbie" to edibles. It will keep you from losing days out of your life again. :)

Sorry, I did a edit earlier and the math was a bit off. The original instantpot recipe, providing a average THC content of 10% would give oil about 3.2mg/ml of oil. Which in my opinion is on the low side. if we back off on the amount of oil or add more weed and we can adjust the ratio.

I typically try and make my oil to 10mg per ml of oil, which is a good number, and seems to be good for most people. That is also considered the "starter" dose for edibles in most places with legal weed. This amount will let you feel one dose of 1ml but not space you out, unless you do multiple doses.

Pull out some buds and figure out how much oil you want to make and we can figure out how much of everything you need.
You also need to decide what carrier oil you want to use, some use coconut, MCT or others.

It won't smell too bad provided you don't keep opening the pot, but you need to every now and again to stir.
FYI, when using a standard crock pot, you will need a digital thermometer to keep the temps under control. It is a pain but what I do is alternate between high and warm to keep the temps where we need them. I am currently designing a temp control circuit so I can set it and forget it but if you are using a normal crock pot, you will have to keep an eye on it.

You also need to decide if you wanna decarb in the oven or in the oil. The great thing about decarbing in the oil, is you can tell when the decarb is done as it stops bubbling.

Thank you @Robileaf for that in-depth reply. Many people will find it incredibly helpful. :hug:

Not everybody uses a Instant pot, that is just one method. I personally use a crock pot and a digital thermometer to keep track of the temps. Some crock pots get very hot; upwards of 260 degrees and the low or high setting only changes the time it takes to heat up and not the temp itself. You need to do a bit of math for your weed/oil. How strong is the weed? Is it average, above average? I can help a bit and get you a finished product that is a bit more usable for the "newbie" to edibles. It will keep you from losing days out of your life again. :)

Sorry, I did a edit earlier and the math was a bit off. The original instantpot recipe, providing a average THC content of 10% would give oil about 3.2mg/ml of oil. Which in my opinion is on the low side. if we back off on the amount of oil or add more weed and we can adjust the ratio.

I typically try and make my oil to 10mg per ml of oil, which is a good number, and seems to be good for most people. That is also considered the "starter" dose for edibles in most places with legal weed. This amount will let you feel one dose of 1ml but not space you out, unless you do multiple doses.

Pull out some buds and figure out how much oil you want to make and we can figure out how much of everything you need.
You also need to decide what carrier oil you want to use, some use coconut, MCT or others.

It won't smell too bad provided you don't keep opening the pot, but you need to every now and again to stir.
FYI, when using a standard crock pot, you will need a digital thermometer to keep the temps under control. It is a pain but what I do is alternate between high and warm to keep the temps where we need them. I am currently designing a temp control circuit so I can set it and forget it but if you are using a normal crock pot, you will have to keep an eye on it.

You also need to decide if you wanna decarb in the oven or in the oil. The great thing about decarbing in the oil, is you can tell when the decarb is done as it stops bubbling.

My friend thank you for taking the time to write this response.
I would like to stick with coconut oil.
If I am using thc oil in baked edibles, wouldn’t it decarb durring the baking process in the edibles?
Can I freeze this stuff until I find the time to start experimenting? Starting to take up a lot of room in my drying tent...

As far as potency, really no clue yet. Still drying and curing. Wife going to sample soon.
Couple different strains. Most of the buds I’m throwing in buckets with the trim look like this..
I’m sure there’s going to be a learning curve here, so I am thankful I have a ton to experiment with and get it right..
Thanks again for the help.

@Tattoodlineman, you’ll surely get some decarb in the cooking process but it’ll be minimal. We’ve been getting a good decarb in the oven at 235° F for 1 hour and 50 minutes. That’ll give you an almost total decarb.

If you put it in a roasting bag you can keep it from making your home as fragrant. I toss my bags in the freezer for a bit to let the vapors settle.

Freezing cannabis when it’s wet will destroy the cell walls and turn it to mush, but dried buds can be frozen. You might want to get them cured for at least a month before doing that though.

Have you any plans for curing? Roasting bags work well for that too.

If you have a food vacuum system they work really well for storage too. Lots of ways to get to the goal. :battingeyelashes:

Thanks for the response and the help I really appreciate this info..
Yes, I’ve always used roasting bags to cure, as I have quantity this time of yr...

I understand about decarb process better now thanks for that..
So after my cure I will be ok to freeze said material until I get the time to experiment making oil??
Thanks again for this help. Very thankful:D

After its sufficiently dry it can be frozen. Before you make concentrated cannabis oil you want it frozen anyway, and freezing dry buds in no way compromises making an infused oil.

Decarb is a function of time and temperature. The standard the Dutch set with 110 minutes at 110° C (235° F) works well, but a longer infusion at a lower temperature will do the same thing. I've personally discovered that you'll get higher from buds that've been decarbed in advance, a little mystery we haven't explored sufficiently, and won't until we have available testing options at greatly reduced prices.

Canna Montana once left her alcohol tincture in the MB2 for two weeks before straining and processing and the resultant gummies she produced were much more potent than the same recipe made more quickly. Oldbear once had his wife cook a batch of bud he'd already decarbed in the oven at much higher temperatures than normal and the result was increased potency.

There's much we don't yet understand about decarb.

Hi sweet sister:hug::circle-of-love::hug: excellent as usual.
Hope you have added this to your "SweetSue's thread" so my signature will work as a reference.
I love you.

I love you too Birdie. :hug:

I update every time I start a new thread. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Yes it does travis. The high pressure for 150 minutes does an almost complete decarb. I checked it myself with hot oil baths.

Thank you for that I was wondering this myself, good question.

Grape seed is used here because this is linked to a thread for topicals, and grape seed works wonderfully well for topicals.

You can use whatever carrier oil you desire. I use olive for most medicinal treatments, coconut when called for or when baking with the oil. Almond makes a wicked massage oil. Grape seed, as mentioned, for my topicals. Pumpkin seed oil is a quick transponder in the skin. Sinks right in, leaving no time to spread it, from what I hear. I’ve not used it yet myself.

I dry a couple different ways, depending on need. Hang dry is used mostly when the fridge is packed with bags of low and slo. The dehydrator will dry a harvest in 50 hours at the lowest setting, and when I need it done in 3 days that’s what I reach for.

I prefer low and slo. It results in a clearly superior product.

Excellent as is all that I read from you SweetSue.

Please if you may, tell me how do I make CBD oil more geared towards helping children.. What I mean is how would you suggest I go about removing all the THC or psychoactive nastys that may have that ill effect on a younger precious person. Please forgive my ignorance in the above question, I don't mean to upset anyone.. I just want to be able to be a caregiver to some incredible young people that need help and whose parents are being forced to pay incredible amounts of money for unreliable overseas products that can and have been seized via customs....

Ps btw I don't have anything against THC, I do actually smoke myself for recreation and
pain relief and quite enjoy all aspects of this wonderful plant.

Please if you may, tell me how do I make CBD oil more geared towards helping children.. What I mean is how would you suggest I go about removing all the THC or psychoactive nastys that may have that ill effect on a younger precious person. Please forgive my ignorance in the above question, I don't mean to upset anyone.. I just want to be able to be a caregiver to some incredible young people that need help and whose parents are being forced to pay incredible amounts of money for unreliable overseas products that can and have been seized via customs....

Ps btw I don't have anything against THC, I do actually smoke myself for recreation and

Dispensary have ACDC a lot of times
It's a 20/1 CBD/THC strain, that or similar would be a great option to start with

Also if you discuss what issues the kids have I'm sure Sue or others can stear you in an even better direction to help the kiddos out

What specifically do you plan on treating them for??

Good day Aussiegirl. :hug: There’s no way to remove the THC without some expensive lab equipment no one but labs have in hand, with small exception for the citizen scientists. I’m not one with such equipment.

So I’d think your choices are to either grow a chemovar like Candida that’s almost all CBD, or build a formula by adding CBD powdered isolate to your THC oils to give you a much higher ratio of CBD. You want some THC in there to get the most from the medicine. CBD and THC compliment each other so well it’s almost a crime to use them separately.

You’ll be wanting to start at around 1:8 THC:CBD, and you may need to go higher than that, possibly to a 1:20 or higher.

As to dosing, the rule is the same in all cases. Start sub-therapeutically and very slowly and thoughtfully increase the doses, giving the young patient a full two weeks on each level before you increase to the next.

In this way you get the opportunity to catch the minimal therapeutic dose. Too often patients start off too high and miss that lower threshold. Cannabis is biphasic, so dose control matters.

On other forums they may get upset over discussions of using cannabis therapeutics with children but not here. Children have endocannabinoid systems too. Lol! If we don’t at least open the conversation up to possibilities then I feel we donthe larger community a disservice.

There’s speculation that children lack the concentration of receptors adults have, which may explain why young patients can take much higher doses and function where the same dose would put you into the couch. Lol!

Keep in mind that with pediatric epilepsy, which I’m assuming you’re thinking of helping with, when you find the regimen that succeeds with one patient, you’ve figured out how to dose that patient. The next will be completely individual.

Check out the work of Dr. Bonnie Goldstein. She’s out of California, making a lot of noise about medical cannabis as a treatment for childhood epilepsy. I have some notes you might appreciate on the subject.

Medical cannabis treatment of epilepsy for adults and children

@Aussiegirl you need to grow/buy a strain with low THC and high cbd. Depends of what you need to cure.
No one is offended so no worries. :hug:
Thank you for the tip on specific strains I did look at the Seedman site after I read your post and was very happy to see that they even had tabs to help me with specific disorders. **Amazing**
Dispensary have ACDC a lot of times
It's a 20/1 CBD/THC strain, that or similar would be a great option to start with

Also if you discuss what issues the kids have I'm sure Sue or others can stear you in an even better direction to help the kiddos out

What specifically do you plan on treating them for??
ACDC if thats the strain name I will look for it, thank you so much for taking the time to post that.

@SweetSue what an awesome person you are, thank you for all that information and taking time out of your life to type it and post it for me. That link was extremely helpful aswell. Yes you did assume right about the epilepsy, seizures are horrible things and the poor little darlings deserve better in every way.. I'm also wanting to help children with multiple diagnoses which may be tricky but one particular amazing 6yr old little boy.. My own, really could benefit from the right dosage in the right manner.. He suffers ASD,ADHD,Anxiety, sensory processing and developmental delays.

It's difficult to know what to do at times and honestly I struggle with keeping on top of things. The Australian Government is in short pathetic and extremely difficult to reason with... Hence me going the unconventional route..

I have learnt so much from all the posts you have written SweetSue and you are an asset beyond measure to us folk that are clutching at straws with what to do and how.
I will try and buy a decent pressure cooker local to be ready to make oils.. I particularly look forward to adding infusions I think they are referred to.. although in my mind atm it's just omega 3 fish oil to help brain activity.. But anything that will help with calmness and or focusis always going to be helpful.

Ps ty ty ty I better stop now because I feel a little bit all pver the place atm.

Back
Top Bottom