Instant Pot Cannabis Oil: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

My woman's brain tells me the same thing. I was NOT breaking ti up when I was using the MB2, bc it grinds it up pretty well.

I find the MB2 nearly impossible to use for making oil. Cleaning it out always frustrated me. And straining it with their bag was an exercise in exasperation. Haven't tried it for tincture yet. When I do I'll follow Canna Montana's lead and leave it sit untouched for a couple weeks. Lol!

WeenmeoffsBoss said:
When you make brownies, you leave in the plant material? I made "potsagna" one time. I added full buds to the sauce (didn't know about decarbing at the time) and then to the ricotta mixture. A bunch of my friends and I had such a good time.

Potsagna sounds delicious! Hmmmm.... May have to give that a go when I get moved.

WeenmeoffsBoss said:
I find that sometimes with the plant material, I've had tummy troubles, and other times, not. Any thoughts on that?

It could be a couple things; some people are sensitive to the barbs on the edges of the cannabis leaves. They don't look all that problematic on the plant, but if they aren't being broken down before eating they may be bruising the stomach walls.

It also may be that you're sensitive to a terpene, which would explain why it doesn't happen all the time, but then the stomach may not always be so sensitive every time either. Of the two I'd think it's more likely the barbs are giving you trouble.

I remember my swimming days.....
Every day, for a long time.
If I was feeling well, I didn't stop at my daily (2-3000 meters) goal.
Now I walk alot. 7-8 km a day.
Work out gives me munchies if I haven't a "eat on time" schedule.

I'm 60 swim almost every day 2-3K mostly at 1/2 race or race pace. Feel better than ever now that I increased my reps. Kinda counter intuitive but true. After I got used to the sore muscles of course. Tincture and Comfrey Salve are my friends now.

If I get sore now its from bad form in the water. Still use tincture and salve and dont forget vitamin supplements and um yeah, my pre-swim ritual which ends with puffage.

It's not a OCD ritual per-se, I don't think or is it? I think that's where the puff puff helps out. I can tell myself its not OCD and its not. Problems solved. :passitleft:

Do you measure the cannabis trim, and does yours contain popcorn buds like Brix’s does? Since you’re using the process as much to use up trim as anything else it doesn’t much matter, I’m just curious about how much you use.

I watched Brix make a batch of oil in a huge pot on the stove over three days with 2 cups of coconut oil and two huge bags of trim in water. I’d never seen oil made like that before, in the same way I’ve never made tincture with anything other than top buds.

Yes all the trim and popcorn. I save it all too, well most of it.

I weigh the cannabis and break it up pretty good by hand - not ground but flaky I'd say. Rub it between my hands like the old school hash making deal.

This batch I did 30+ish grams and about 12oz of ever clear. After the double boiler thing I got about 8 oz of tincture. It's good. I can feel it with a 1/2 a dropper easy.

I'm WU with the Green Dragon.

Grassgrower
When you can snatch the nugget from my hand
I know I've taken too much. o_O

When I do I'll follow Canna Montana's lead and leave it sit untouched for a couple weeks. Lol!

I did the double boiler 3rd step so I didn't have to wait cept for mixture to cool! lol

I've got some that we left sit for 1 year and 2 years. They taste slightly better or is that bitter. I'm not sure now.

Decarb on a sheet or whatever in the oven, take out let cool into mason jar cover with everclear - put int double boiler and 20min @ 170F with thermometer. Done.
You will see the everclear bubbling ..... (no gas stoves please).. when that stops its done. Will take about 20 minutes.

I am happy to hear swimming helps, and I intend to start again. Hopefully with some meds for after.
The reason for me moving to warmer climate 20+years ago, was severe pain when weather was cold.
Now, after "discovering" canna meds, there is no reason for me to live here anymore.
I'm 60 swim almost every day 2-3K mostly at 1/2 race or race pace. Feel better than ever now that I increased my reps. Kinda counter intuitive but true. After I got used to the sore muscles of course. Tincture and Comfrey Salve are my friends now.

If I get sore now its from bad form in the water. Still use tincture and salve and dont forget vitamin supplements and um yeah, my pre-swim ritual which ends with puffage.

It's not a OCD ritual per-se, I don't think or is it? I think that's where the puff puff helps out. I can tell myself its not OCD and its not. Problems solved. :passitleft:

I find the MB2 nearly impossible to use for making oil. Cleaning it out always frustrated me. And straining it with their bag was an exercise in exasperation. Haven't tried it for tincture yet. When I do I'll follow Canna Montana's lead and leave it sit untouched for a couple weeks. Lol!

Potsagna sounds delicious! Hmmmm.... May have to give that a go when I get moved.

It could be a couple things; some people are sensitive to the barbs on the edges of the cannabis leaves. They don't look all that problematic on the plant, but if they aren't being broken down before eating they may be bruising the stomach walls.

It also may be that you're sensitive to a terpene, which would explain why it doesn't happen all the time, but then the stomach may not always be so sensitive every time either. Of the two I'd think it's more likely the barbs are giving you trouble.

Wow! Thank you so much for all of that. I really appreciate your responses

I did the double boiler 3rd step so I didn't have to wait cept for mixture to cool! lol

I've got some that we left sit for 1 year and 2 years. They taste slightly better or is that bitter. I'm not sure now.

Decarb on a sheet or whatever in the oven, take out let cool into mason jar cover with everclear - put int double boiler and 20min @ 170F with thermometer. Done.
You will see the everclear bubbling ..... (no gas stoves please).. when that stops its done. Will take about 20 minutes.

Thanks B.B. :hug: Always looking for something to play with. Lol!

When Canna made hers she inadvertently let it sit for two weeks and the resultant gummies were far more potent than she anticipated, based on previous runs where she cooled and strained.

It plays into the mystery we haven’t yet solved of why you get higher with decarbed buds than you will smoking undecarbed and letting all the decarb come from the heat applied at administration.

Thinking I should have paid closer attention in Chemistry class. Istead of drooling over the triple beam in the back. o_O:bong:

That drooling served you well. Lol!

Sweet Sue,

Upon reading this I have decided to invest in the supplies I need to make this oil. I will have to save up forall of this:
* grinder
* Instant Pot pressure cooker
* small stainless bowl for pot-in-pot cooking
* foil cover for the bowl
* stirring tool
* Pyrex measuring cups
* stainless canning funnel
* piece of silk for straining
* wooden clothes pins

Using the same ratios when making either this oil, or the tincture I make now, is the dose yield relatively equal?

Currently I make my tincture with grape seed oil. As you know I had some go rancid. I attributed that to the fact that I got way behind in my dosing and it went rancid. Luckily the rest of the batch was being stored in the fridge. So I saved quite a bit of the batch.

I heard on "America's Test Kitchen" that seed oils, such as grape seed oil, go rancid more rapidly. I didn't really understand what a non-seed oil would be? Could I potentially could be using some other oil to prolong the batches' shelf life.

I wonder if this heating step will change what my yield dose will be as compared to the tincture I am making and using now? If the concentration in a batch of oil is greater than that of a tincture oil when made with the the same ratio of oil:flower in each (and the same chemovar), I could potentially be saving money. Then the next question, is the difference in cost significant?

All these thoughts just swirling around in my head.

Kelly

Making a basic infused cannabis oil using an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker

@keshazel, I have a couple other answers I'm working on before I get to this. I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you Kelly. I'll be back soon. :hug:

Not everybody uses a Instant pot, that is just one method. I personally use a crock pot and a digital thermometer to keep track of the temps. Some crock pots get very hot; upwards of 260 degrees and the low or high setting only changes the time it takes to heat up and not the temp itself. You need to do a bit of math for your weed/oil. How strong is the weed? Is it average, above average? I can help a bit and get you a finished product that is a bit more usable for the "newbie" to edibles. It will keep you from losing days out of your life again. :)

Sorry, I did a edit earlier and the math was a bit off. The original instantpot recipe, providing a average THC content of 10% would give oil about 3.2mg/ml of oil. Which in my opinion is on the low side. if we back off on the amount of oil or add more weed and we can adjust the ratio.

I typically try and make my oil to 10mg per ml of oil, which is a good number, and seems to be good for most people. That is also considered the "starter" dose for edibles in most places with legal weed. This amount will let you feel one dose of 1ml but not space you out, unless you do multiple doses.

Pull out some buds and figure out how much oil you want to make and we can figure out how much of everything you need.
You also need to decide what carrier oil you want to use, some use coconut, MCT or others.

It won't smell too bad provided you don't keep opening the pot, but you need to every now and again to stir.
FYI, when using a standard crock pot, you will need a digital thermometer to keep the temps under control. It is a pain but what I do is alternate between high and warm to keep the temps where we need them. I am currently designing a temp control circuit so I can set it and forget it but if you are using a normal crock pot, you will have to keep an eye on it.

You also need to decide if you wanna decarb in the oven or in the oil. The great thing about decarbing in the oil, is you can tell when the decarb is done as it stops bubbling.

Robileaf, could you give me the step by step you use in your Crock-Pot?
I will be decarbing in the oven using a roasting bag
Probably about 10g of GG#4, I want fairly potent oil that I will put in capsules.
I am thinking about 75ml of coconut oil?
I am not that experienced in making oil, and I don't think I got a full extraction with my last batch.

Robileaf, could you give me the step by step you use in your Crock-Pot?
I will be decarbing in the oven using a roasting bag
Probably about 10g of GG#4, I want fairly potent oil that I will put in capsules.
I am thinking about 75ml of coconut oil?
I am not that experienced in making oil, and I don't think I got a full extraction with my last batch.

Evening Cannacaps4U2. :hug: How interesting that you ask this. I just left a not for @InTheShed over at my study hall for his crock pot recipe. When we work this out I’ll be glad to link you up to it. It won’t take long.

I do like this method. Very simple.

It made my life so easy I forgot not everyone can access a pressure cooker. We’ve a desire for a tutorial on crock pot oil.

Thanks SweetSue
I just have not been happy with my extraction up to this point.
I feeel that I am leaving alot of goodness behind.
I even made some chocolate haystacks with my strained herb
They turned out stronger than I think they would have.

Back
Top Bottom