Instant Pot Cannabis Oil: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

Thanks @SweetSue !

This opens a few more questions hahaha

What is the difference between an oil infusion and CCO?

Mine is freshly harvested and straight into fridge..

So the above concentration calculation that I did was actually based on wet weight (333g). Should this be dry weight for the calculation to be accurate?

So I suppose what i’m Trying to figure out is whether or not I should dry this stuff before chucking it into the pressure cooker. My goal here is to pill the resultant oil.

Last question, is 10mg/ml THC concentration considered strong or weak?

Soooooo many questions :adore:

Thanks @SweetSue !

This opens a few more questions hahaha

What is the difference between an oil infusion and CCO?

Mine is freshly harvested and straight into fridge..

So the above concentration calculation that I did was actually based on wet weight (333g). Should this be dry weight for the calculation to be accurate?

So I suppose what i’m Trying to figure out is whether or not I should dry this stuff before chucking it into the pressure cooker. My goal here is to pill the resultant oil.

Last question, is 10mg/ml THC concentration considered strong or weak?

Soooooo many questions :adore:

Lol! We expect more questions Sinbad. :laughtwo:

Making CCO (concentrated cannabis oil) requires dry buds. Water of any form works against you in the extraction process. You're using a powerful solvent to strip the trichome heads and then evaporating that solvent out before using the resultant essential oils of the cannabis plant. The product you end up with is sticky like tar, and can be remarkably useful for making into many different forms of cannabis medicines. We have some interesting ways to make this product more bioavailable for increased therapeutic power.

An infused oil is produced by slowly cooking the buds in a carrier oil. The heat and any agitation you perform will break open the trichome heads, releasing the essential oils into the surrounding oil. You cook long enough to make as through an extraction as possible, being careful not to burn off the cannabinoids in the process by letting the oil get too hot.

The Instant Pot makes infusions almost sinfully simple to perform.

When calculating doses from bud we go with dry weight, so simply divide your wet material by 4 and you'll have a good approximation. That would make your 333 grams around 83.25 grams if it were dry.

Recalculating, you'd need 700 ml of carrier oil to get 15 mg/ml.

To answer the final question, that depends on the patient. That small a dose wouldn't do anything at all for someone like me, who starts the day with a dose in excess of 50 mg of THC, but for someone with a much more sensitive system 10 mg might put them on the couch or into a deep sleep.

A standard dose for sleep meds is 10-25 mg of THC an hour before bedtime, and that range exists because individual expression has so many variables. Cannabis is a totally individual medicine. We put great care into finding the minimum therapeutic dose for each patient.

I'm living proof that Sue's comment isn't an exaggeration. With no previous experience making cannabis oil I first buzzed 20 grams of dry CBD bud (a gift from a friend) in a thrift store coffee grinder. I got a more or less fine powder (finer than for drip coffee but not quite espresso) plus some very sticky stuff that had to be scraped free.

I added the cannabis to a small stainless steel bowl with a mix of avocado oil, MCT oil, and olive oil -- enough oil to cover the herb about half an inch deep. (I don't know how this compares to other recipes but I wanted to be sure this oil would be strong.)

Put it in the InstaPot on a small overturned plate, added an inch or so of water, and set it for Manual/Steam. Cooked it for 110 minutes, then strained the oil through a very fine stainless steel flour sieve.

To get more even more oil out of the remaining sludge I pressed it hard against the sieve with a spoon. I then took the oily cake-like stuff from the sieve and mashed it really hard between two pieces of parchment paper with a tortilla press, . (Overkill but kind of fun.) Got enough out of the tortilla press to rub oil generously over my arthritic left elbow.

I didn't measure the final yield carefully but it was about enough to fill 3 small dropper bottles.

I've tested the oil under my tongue and it is just what I wanted. 1/4 to 1/3 ml is a good manageable dose for me. A full one ml dose causes my mind to race uncomfortably.

This oil definitely seems to be stronger than the (better tasting) commercial stuff I bought at the local shop for $40 a bottle.

If you can make coffee and have an InstaPot what could be simpler?

Lol! We expect more questions Sinbad. :laughtwo:

Making CCO (concentrated cannabis oil) requires dry buds. Water of any form works against you in the extraction process. You're using a powerful solvent to strip the trichome heads and then evaporating that solvent out before using the resultant essential oils of the cannabis plant. The product you end up with is sticky like tar, and can be remarkably useful for making into many different forms of cannabis medicines. We have some interesting ways to make this product more bioavailable for increased therapeutic power.

An infused oil is produced by slowly cooking the buds in a carrier oil. The heat and any agitation you perform will break open the trichome heads, releasing the essential oils into the surrounding oil. You cook long enough to make as through an extraction as possible, being careful not to burn off the cannabinoids in the process by letting the oil get too hot.

When calculating doses from bud we go with dry weight, so simply divide your wet material by 4 and you'll have a good approximation. That would make your 333 grams around 83.25 grams if it were dry.

Recalculating, you'd need 700 ml of carrier oil to get 15 mg/ml.

To answer the final question, that depends on the patient. That small a dose wouldn't do anything at all for someone like me, who starts the day with a dose in excess of 50 mg of THC, but for someone with a much more sensitive system 10 mg might put them on the couch or into a deep sleep.

A standard dose for sleep meds is 10-25 mg of THC an hour before bedtime, and that range exists because individual expression has so many variables. Cannabis is a totally individual medicine. We put great care into finding the minimum therapeutic dose for each patient.

Insanely helpful as always! Thanks @SweetSue, i’m All good to go then! I’ll share some pics once done.

420 Mag Forum impresses once again!:420:

I'm living proof that Sue's comment isn't an exaggeration. With no previous experience making cannabis oil I first buzzed 20 grams of dry CBD bud (a gift from a friend) in a thrift store coffee grinder. I got a more or less fine powder (finer than for drip coffee but not quite espresso) plus some very sticky stuff that had to be scraped free.

I added the cannabis to a small stainless steel bowl with a mix of avocado oil, MCT oil, and olive oil -- enough oil to cover the herb about half an inch deep. (I don't know how this compares to other recipes but I wanted to be sure this oil would be strong.)

Put it in the InstaPot on a small overturned plate, added an inch or so of water, and set it for Manual/Steam. Cooked it for 110 minutes, then strained the oil through a very fine stainless steel flour sieve.

To get more even more oil out of the remaining sludge I pressed it hard against the sieve with a spoon. I then took the oily cake-like stuff from the sieve and mashed it really hard between two pieces of parchment paper with a tortilla press, . (Overkill but kind of fun.) Got enough out of the tortilla press to rub oil generously over my arthritic left elbow.

I didn't measure the final yield carefully but it was about enough to fill 3 small dropper bottles.

I've tested the oil under my tongue and it is just what I wanted. 1/4 to 1/3 ml is a good manageable dose for me. A full one ml dose causes my mind to race uncomfortably.

This oil definitely seems to be stronger than the (better tasting) commercial stuff I bought at the local shop for $40 a bottle.

If you can make coffee and have an InstaPot what could be simpler?

This left a big-ass smile on my face. :battingeyelashes:

So I left the popcorn and trim from my very first harvest set out and dry up a bit (couple days) I borrowed a instapot from a friend. I do not have anyway of weighing what I have so like most I just cover my stuff in grape seed oil. K first note i used a tin foil pan a small one for little loafs of bread covered with foil set INSTAPOT for steam @ 150 mins. (Love that mame) let it cool down almost to room temp it didn't hiss at me when I pushed the release. Everything looked good at this point. FYI I did not smell anything the whole time. I took some oil out and put the rest back in for second run. Here comes my next problem, I smoked and hit the munchies then passed the heck out it had been a long day. I jumped up all excited to find that the instant pot was set to keep warm after times up so it was piping hot for probably about 7 hours on the second run. It was burnt for sure, really dank cooked plant smell.

The main test
My wife has pain all over and we self medicate daily ok ok hourly
She says on a fresh morning when I rub the dank on her 80% pain gone in less then 30 mins.

Left hand Right hand test
So I have been trying to only use my left hand to rub the oil in on her and after 1 week I have a very noticable relief when I make my hands into a fist (arthritis in my hands is the closest to any pain I have right now (knocking on wood)) maybe it's the hourly self medication I do.

My findings on this absolute wonderful pain relieving goodness of a natural wonder of the world

It works its great it's an absolute must have (my wife says) in the daily life of someone who lives in unbearable pain, a long with brownies, gummies, made some cco too, it all helps in it's own way

Just to add I've ran a few more batches scared to try the second run again this stuff isn't cheap and it's to dang hot to grow more now so if this helps anyone out there who scared of droping that pay check into a instapot of an oil bath, go for it even if you don't get it all the way right it's hard to mess this one up to were its wasted
One run at 150 with all scraps from rolling scraped off the plate every day filling 16oz jar in mini Dutch oven in the instapot then added some essential oils works good too says my wife which smells alot better as well

just made a batch of double cooked cbd oil.
filled a hundred 00 capsules and probably have enough for another 800.
coconut oil carrier.

made my parents some thc anti-pain topical.
grapeseed oil carrier with japanese mint oil added after. 10 ml bottle.
it's a bit more immediate than the topical butter i made for them. they like it.

next i'm doing a similar grapeseed topical with a cbd dominant strain.
shooting for anti-inflammatory properties. arthritis type application.

:green_heart: the instant pot.

so much thanks to sweet sue and the rest of the contributors for this thread.

I mentioned earlier that the oil mixture I used in following Sue's instructions doesn't taste as good as the commercial stuff CBD oil I first used.

For my batch, I used equal parts coconut oil, MCT, and olive oil. It isn't bad tasting but I'm wondering if it couldn't be improved by adding a flavoring oil, such as lemon or....? If so, does anyone have a recipe?

I mentioned earlier that the oil mixture I used in following Sue's instructions doesn't taste as good as the commercial stuff CBD oil I first used.

For my batch, I used equal parts coconut oil, MCT, and olive oil. It isn't bad tasting but I'm wondering if it couldn't be improved by adding a flavoring oil, such as lemon or....? If so, does anyone have a recipe?

I’m sure some flavoring would improve the taste, and it doesn’t surprise me at all that our kitchen oils wouldn’t match commercial tastes. Commercial labs have finer control of extractions, measurement, and processing for consistency.

You have nothing to lose by trying. I don’t know of any recipes, but then I haven’t looked either.

Anyone else know of any?

just made a batch of double cooked cbd oil.
filled a hundred 00 capsules and probably have enough for another 800.
coconut oil carrier.

made my parents some thc anti-pain topical.
grapeseed oil carrier with japanese mint oil added after. 10 ml bottle.
it's a bit more immediate than the topical butter i made for them. they like it.

next i'm doing a similar grapeseed topical with a cbd dominant strain.
shooting for anti-inflammatory properties. arthritis type application.

:green_heart: the instant pot.

so much thanks to sweet sue and the rest of the contributors for this thread.

You’re very welcome bluter. :hug: Japanese mint oil you say? That reference sent me looking and I learned that bugs, particularly mosquitos, are repelled by peppermint, rosemary, and Tea tree oils. Handy info for a resident of the Gulf Coast.

I wasn’t aware until now of the curative powers os Japanese mint oil. Thanks for the quick lesson. :hug: And good luck with the CBD topical. Please let us know how it works for pain.

I love this instapot method! So easy!

I made 1L of coconut oil today!

It’s approx. 10-15mg/ml concentration. I made a test batch a couple days ago and tried it out. 1ml of it is barely noticeable. 5ml of it threw me deep into the couch one minute and completely cerebral and alert the next! This is apparently a typical characteristic of the LSD strain. It was great to see this come through in an oil infusion!

Thanks for the assistance everyone! And @SweetSue thanks for creating the thread!

It’s approx. 10-15mg/ml concentration. I made a test batch a couple days ago and tried it out. 1ml of it is barely noticeable. 5ml of it threw me deep into the couch one minute and completely cerebral and alert the next! This is apparently a typical characteristic of the LSD strain. It was great to see this come through in an oil infusion!

Thanks for the assistance everyone! And @SweetSue thanks for creating the thread!

Thank you for sharing the joy Sinbad. :hug:

It never occurred to me to use an immersion blender. Thanks for that. :hug:

just finished a double cooked cbd run for an arthritis topical.

the green was online dispensary product my mom got when we were still over paying for commercial medical and not growing. used 21 grams of what is supposed to be a 15% unknown cbd strain. it was old and did not smell to great, but looks to have cooked up well. got a nice golden green oil.

used grapeseed as the carrier. started using it for all the topicals. used 650 ml of the grapeseed and would up with a bit over 500 ml of base cbd oil after the cook. i create the base oil in the instant pot, and then add any essential oils i want when i bottle it, or mix it with cocoa, palm, and shea butters to make body lotions. the oils are more potent than the lotions.

i used the base cbd oil and added frankincense and eucalyptus oils for a more direct arthritis application. mixed about 5 - 6 drops of each in 20 ml of cbd base bottled in a roll applicator. will post up once i get a report on how effective it is.

:)

I’m blessed to live in a town that has a coffee house right around the corner that sells a delicious cup of turmeric tea. A number of my neighbors report that adding turmeric and black pepper to their diet they experience less pain. Many of them treat arthritis and this has made their lives easier. Just thought I’d mention it bluter. :hug:

I’m blessed to live in a town that has a coffee house right around the corner that sells a delicious cup of turmeric tea. A number of my neighbors report that adding turmeric and black pepper to their diet they experience less pain. Many of them treat arthritis and this has made their lives easier. Just thought I’d mention it bluter. :hug:

the folks take turmeric every morning. they are very proactive.. :)

just finished a double cooked cbd run for an arthritis topical.
i used the base cbd oil and added frankincense and eucalyptus oils for a more direct arthritis application. mixed about 5 - 6 drops of each in 20 ml of cbd base bottled in a roll applicator. will post up once i get a report on how effective it is.

I'm looking forward to your report on effectiveness. I'm dealing with serious tendinitis in my left shoulder and arm, treating it with regular small oral doses of the oil I described here earlier. A cortisone injection gave me some relief but not nearly enough. I've used topicals before but could never really determine if they were helping or not.

quick report on the anti-pain topical oil .... it's a hit !

:cheer:

double cooked thc base oil using black indica.
black indica is supposed to be about 18% thc. mine is definitely weaker. guessing about 12%
21 grams of cannabis. 650ml grapeseed carrier.
japanese mint oil added after. 5 - 7 drops added to 10ml of infused product.

my mom had bypass surgery a while ago. the doctors harvested veins from her legs for the process. the sites where the veins were harvested, along with the associated scars on her legs and chest, often send sharp pain signals. these signals were muted but not eradicated by the topical butter i made earlier.

i am happy to report the topical oil works very quickly and nearly eradicates all pain sensation. it also seems to remain effective for a number of hours. my mom tells me it actually ceases all pain sensation from the harvested vein sites, and reduces the sensation on her chest scars to almost zero.

am hoping the anti-inflammatory cbd based oil i made works at least half as well for arthritis.

quick report on the anti-pain topical oil .... it's a hit !

:cheer:

double cooked thc base oil using black indica.
black indica is supposed to be about 18% thc. mine is definitely weaker. guessing about 12%
21 grams of cannabis. 650ml grapeseed carrier.
japanese mint oil added after. 5 - 7 drops added to 10ml of infused product.

my mom had bypass surgery a while ago. the doctors harvested veins from her legs for the process. the sites where the veins were harvested, along with the associated scars on her legs and chest, often send sharp pain signals. these signals were muted but not eradicated by the topical butter i made earlier.

i am happy to report the topical oil works very quickly and nearly eradicates all pain sensation. it also seems to remain effective for a number of hours. my mom tells me it actually ceases all pain sensation from the harvested vein sites, and reduces the sensation on her chest scars to almost zero.

am hoping the anti-inflammatory cbd based oil i made works at least half as well for arthritis.

Excellent! :high-five: Feels good, doesn’t it, to help our loved ones find relief that’d been unattainable?

Shed convinced me almost a year ago to switch to oils instead of creams for topical relief. Eliminating everything else gets the cannabinoids into the body faster.

You’ve shared with her the value of applying oils to the DMR?

With arthritis it’s been shown that the mere action of applying any cream or topical will release a certain amount of soothing chemical cascades through the system. Adding cannabinoids can only increase the benefits, IMHO.

Making me proud bluter. :hug::hug::hug:

Back
Top Bottom