Instant Pot Cannabis Oil: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

I am struggling with this procedure....how important is decarb temperature?? I have tried twice now and don't think I've got it right. I try to get my little oven to stay at 240 with not much success, I decarb at 240 for about an hour. My weed doesn't have tight buds and is leafy but when I'm done decarbing it just crumbles - is this normal?? I use 16 g in 1 cup of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of lecithin and 2 - 00 capsules don't seem to have much effect. Any ideas??
The mixture simmers in a measuring cup in a pot of water and I try to maintain a temp of 170 F for 12 hours.
I think the weed is OK - it works when I vape some. Am I missing something??

Mornin’ greenjeans. :hug:

In my opinion you simply don’t have a complete decarb. Keeping the oven at that temp doesn’t mean the plant material is decarbed. The Instant Pot decarbs under high pressure as well as high temp. Leaving it closed up after it’s finished running the cycle lets the oil further decarb before opening. You’ll get a more complete decarb using a hot oil bath.

Did you capsule up all the oil? If not you can sit the oil in a hot oil bath. Be sure to put a washer or something under the container of infused oil to keep it off the bottom of the pan of hot veg oil.

I’m assuming you have a thermal check for the heating oil. Keep it in the neighborhood of 235° F until the bubbling stops. At that point you’ll have near-complete decarb.

If it’s all capsules up console yourself that all cannabinoids are potent aids to helping an ECS become stronger, always a good thing. THCA is showing itself to be quite a power partner to healing. :battingeyelashes:

Thanx SweetSue - You are a goldmine!!!!:thanks: I have two little jars - I didn't cap it all just in case I was in this scenerio again - plus I have saved both "dredges" in the fridge in a ziplock bag. So....would you suggest...
Liquefy the coco oil again
add strained out weed back into it
put in a measuring cup (or whatever)
place in Pressure cooker in OIL bath for two hours at 235 F ???

Phew, just finished reading through this thread. Lots of great info. I have an ip. and I have some spare bud , and not a fan of using solvents so why not. My first attempt, 10g.White Widow trim and popcorn in 3/4 cup of coconut oil. One hour fifty minutes at high pressure x2. Can't seem to find liquid lecithin so will not worry about this. After sitting in the fridge overnight it has settled out. My question is do I remix and encapsulate or do I strain off the settling. This is all new to me but seems like the best route for topical,s and edibles. A quick shout out to @Sweetsue would ease my questioning mind.

hi @bluenoserjoe

i assume you strained through cheesecloth ?
i let it re-solidify for longer term storage in the fridge much like you have in the jar.
i reheat to liquify and fill gel caps. usually in a double boiler, just want it warm, not hot. don't re-cook it.

i get some precipitate, sorta mix it back in by shaking the jar up before filling the caps.
it probably contains decent stuff lol.

looks good. :)

edit : fyi, you can store the finished caps or even the jar of product in the freezer for a near indefinite period.
for shorter term i just use the fridge.

i freeze all my canna pills. even take them that way for a touch slower absorption.

Yes it was strained through a cheese cloth, just wasn't sure about the settling. Is the lecithin a necessity or more of a helping hand with the absorption, along with some medicinal properties.
it's to help with faster absorption. i've never used it.
can use grapeseed oil as a carrier for super fast absorption too. i use it for topicals, for it's ability to penetrate skin and get to sore muscles etc.

My next extraction will probably be a mixture mostly fresh and a little dried in the instant pot.

With fresh, is it better to blend it all into the IP steel bowl with oil and water ?
or
do Pot in pot with water in the outer pot and a little water in the inner pot with the blended fresh and oil ?

Thanks

My next extraction will probably be a mixture mostly fresh and a little dried in the instant pot.

With fresh, is it better to blend it all into the IP steel bowl with oil and water ?
or
do Pot in pot with water in the outer pot and a little water in the inner pot with the blended fresh and oil ?

Thanks
Use another vessel to put your herbs in.
Donot put water in same vessel with herbs.
The instapot comes with that little rack, has a name but not sure at moment. Fill water to that level. About 1 inch of water. Your vessel with herbs and grapeseed or oil of choice loosely covered with foil will sit on that rack right on top of water.
"Best stuff on earth!"
Says my wife.

Okay, I'll probably split my dry and fresh infusion with pot in pot.
I guess I need to get as much fresh blended in oil as possible.

It will be interesting to see how much water is left.

I'm planning to take a week of instant pot work for this, as I'm interested in the increased potency after people have left it a while.

So, I'm thinking

1. As much fresh blended into grapeseed oil as it will take.
2. IP 2 hours high pressure pot in pot.
3. Leave for 2 days
4. IP 2 hours high pressure
5. Leave for 2 days
6. IP 2 hours high pressure
7. Leave for 3 days
8. Strain, filter and separate

This takes me weekend to weekend for the time consuming stuff.

Can you get enough fresh cannabis into the oil without water ?

The only water you need is around 1 inch if water probably even 1/2 of that. Water goes in the instapot pot. The water heats up and creates pressure. Herb goes in a separate pot or pyrex or equally heat safe bowl with as little oil as you want to try to get away with, it goes inside the machine and sits on the little rack at or above the water. Dont let water get into herb and oil mixture. So when you go take cover off dont let the water condensation roll into your mix.

Please share your results when your done. :passitleft:

If used as topical its more the frequency of application than the amount used at a time.

The move to pot in pot is a grey area for me.
I read how Psycro blended all his fresh into the main pot with oil and water.
SweetSue now uses pot in pot.

I missed the link from there to here.

I guess the theory is that the water from the fresh cannabis will come out of the inner pot and collect in the outer pot?

I should probably remember to do some weight measurements before and after to see if this is the case.

With dry herb, pot in pot makes sense without water.
Is it the same with fresh herb which is already 3/4 water?

Should be ready to start in 2 or 3 weeks as final harvest is ready.

Is the lecithin a necessity or more of a helping hand with the absorption

Lecithin emulsifies your ingredients, which increases their absorption properties. So instead of your ingredients coming together into larger and larger particle sizes, they stay separate and smaller for longer. The smaller the particle size the better it absorbs.

fresh as in just harvested ?

something new happen ? fresh will introduce a fair bit of water to the carrier oil. no bueno.

The move to pot in pot is a grey area for me.
I read how Psycro blended all his fresh into the main pot with oil and water.
SweetSue now uses pot in pot.

I missed the link from there to here.

I guess the theory is that the water from the fresh cannabis will come out of the inner pot and collect in the outer pot?

I should probably remember to do some weight measurements before and after to see if this is the case.

With dry herb, pot in pot makes sense without water.
Is it the same with fresh herb which is already 3/4 water?

Should be ready to start in 2 or 3 weeks as final harvest is ready.
I believe robileaf gave a receipe for using butter and a crockpot (when butter cools it seperates from water)
This thread talks about using a instantpot to do decarb and infusion into a carrier oil for topical use.
You do not mix water with oil.

There is a thread on fresh harvest oil, I thought I was reading it. I've made a few batches and have never done pot in pot and I always add water, it boils off. I add it so plant does not burn and that was the process when that thread started. It always came out great!

Edit to add, I don't add the oil until after an hour or so in the IP. Most of water will have boiled off. Add the oil. Let go for another hour on high then lower temp and let go for a few more hours.

All that said, I will try the double boiler method, thanks!

:passitleft:

fresh as in just harvested ?

something new happen ? fresh will introduce a fair bit of water to the carrier oil. no bueno.
Yes fresh harvested.
Psychro did fresh harvest olive oil infusion where I believe he did fresh, oil and water.
He then moved to doing this directly in the main bowl of the pressure cooker, if I've picked things up correctly.

The part that I can't connect up is the pot in pot stuff.
If this has only been done with dry herb, then I'll continue with using the main bowl of the pressure cooker.

There is a thread on fresh harvest oil, I thought I was reading it. I've made a few batches and have never done pot in pot and I always add water, it boils off. I add it so plant does not burn and that was the process when that thread started. It always came out great!

Edit to add, I don't add the oil until after an hour or so in the IP. Most of water will have boiled off. Add the oil. Let go for another hour on high then lower temp and let go for a few more hours.

All that said, I will try the double boiler method, thanks!

:passitleft:
Ween, if the water boils off, you have the vent open ?

Does this mean that the pressure cooker never achieves pressure?

Thanks,

Ween, if the water boils off, you have the vent open ?

Does this mean that the pressure cooker never achieves pressure?

Thanks,
not sure what he's doing. an instant pot just doesn't work that way.
once closed it shouldn't be interrupted, unless starting a whole new cook.

it's the combination of time, heat, and pressure which makes it work. take one away and the process doesn't complete properly.

Looking to infuse grapeseed oil so that I can experiment with it for pain relief, but will probably try some capsules too, as I have no other way of measuring potency.
I hope to keep the solids for Brownies also, if I can figure out how much to add to my Betty Crocker.

I'd like to find an easy way of cutting down drying, processing and general dicking around, whilst getting the maximum potency oil and using all the plant above the ground.

Saturday Day 1
Cannatonic Dried Leaf and Bud 27g
Hulkberry Trim 5g

Cannatonic Fresh harvest bud and leaf 95g

All immersion blended in 300ml of Grapeseed oil. No water added.

1 hour in an ultrasonic
My impression is that not much happened.
Maybe if I added water to the jug or had a bigger ultrasonic.

Weight of jug and contents 1396g

Tin foil on the top with some holes for steam to get out.
Let's see if it does....

Into the Instant Pot for 2 hours at high pressure.

I come back to this on Monday to run the same IP process again and I'll weigh the jug before I do.

Back
Top Bottom