Instant Pot Cannabis Oil: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

You are correct OOTD.
The top of my jug was close to the top of the IP lid, so I think condensation on the lid dripped through the holes in my tin foil.
After day 1 mass increase +11g

I decided to just run the instant pot every days for the week.
Day had no holes in the tin foil, so the mass difference was zero.

Ween,

If you have the lid off and your not getting any pressure, it looks like a double boiler to me.
How far up the side of the inner pot do you have the water in the outer pot ?

No double boiler. I just put everything right in the IP. I do leave the lid on for the 1st hour or so, take it off to make sure plant matter is not burning and add water if needed, top back on for 1/2 hour or so, another stir and lid on for 1/2 hour then add the oil and slow cook for 4-6 hours. Just to be clear, the plant matter is either fresh or frozen fresh. I've made it with saved up trim and also did a batch with a freshly harvested plant.

:passitleft:

Day 7
I've now completed 7 days of 2 hours high pressure instant pot processing and cooling without pressure release, each time.
The sludge looks pretty homogeneous with no visible separation of solids, liquids and oil.
Final total mass weighs in at 1412g, so zero water has come out of the inner mix and into the outer pan.
I can see some marks from water droplets back into the sludge, so there has been a little reflux with some water in the mix.
It has not been a lot though.
I also noticed that when I stirred a couple of times through the week, the top surface was a little different in color to the stuff underneath.
This could be oxidation, but I don't think there has been any great movement of material in the jug during its 7 days of processing.

The sludge just sat in the coffee filter paper and only 50ml dripped through itself.
I had to get involved with a spoon and eventually a jam straining bag.
After some pressing and swirling, I left it overnight to drip.

After squeezing the filter paper we get this -
220ml of oil from 300ml of grapeseed oil input. 73%

I'm surprised I got this much out as the sludge didn't want to co-operate.
It was horrible to work with, as the oil wouldn't crash out on it's own with the solids being suspended.
This meant you had to squeeze in a fully enclosed bag.
I tried a collander in collander squeeze, but it just squirted up the sides.

Remaining sludge weighs in at 170g
My initial total mass of fresh and a little dry plant was about 130g

50ml of grapeseed oil weighs in at 47g, so lets say 1ml = 1g ( same as water) to ease the arithmetic.

Before
300g (300ml of oil) + 130g of fresh and dry material = 430g

After
220g( 220ml of recovered oil) + squeezed sludge 170g = 390g

So, I think we are nearly there with the remains in the filter paper, residue on jugs, spoons, drips and a little experimental and arithmetic error.

I took a 00 capsule of oil last night and didn't really feel so much, but had a decent sleep.
The material is mostly Cannatonic.

I plan to see if the oil still needs to decarboxylate and will use some of the sludge in brownies.
I'll probably start at 20g of sludge into a Betty Crocker.

Theoretically, I should still have everything in the oil or the sludge at present.

Day 8

I wrote the Day 7 post around 6 hours ago when I got up.
Something strange is going on.

I've been to the gym and though I thought the oil had no effect, I still feel quite baked.
In addition to the capsule, I took some of my friends alcohol tincture last night.

The only other thing I did was lick a knife when I made this and there was practically nothing on it.
It tasted horrible, so I'm expecting Betty Crocker to be Betty Chunder.

I put 25g of the squeezed sludge into the Brownie.
I might have a small piece tomorrow and I'll send my friend some of the oil to test.

I put a stirrer bar into the oil and ran it up to see if I could get any decarb bubbles.
The stirrer was set to between 400rpm and 500rpm.

It didn't spend too long in the transition over 100C, so I think there was very little if any water in the squeezed oil.

This is interesting because it means that all the water is still in the plant material as I didn't see any difference in mass before and after the IP process.

I took it up to 110C where we would definitely be decarbing

On switching just the stirrer off, I saw zero bubbles.
In fact, I never saw any bubbles at all when doing the hotplate work.

I'm pretty sure I have full decarboxylation from my 7 daily iterations of 2 hours, high pressure, no warm and no pressure process.

@Desormais ...... damn! Got my attention now. :laughtwo:

Sorry about being absent here guys. Life keeps getting in the way, but in a good way. :battingeyelashes:

I’ll jump back in here tomorrow and do some clean up - and thank you to all of you that keep an eye on the thread. I’m most impressed with how much we’ve advanced these techniques. Pat yourselves on the back. :thumb:

Ok, back to Desormais... what you didn’t catch in the process is that I’ve been using buds that have been dried low and slo; DrZiggy’s Low and Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Buds dried in this manner are close to freshly harvested, and IMO it approximates what we were doing with FHO, but without all the mess you just went through.

I use 100 grams of low and slo-dried bud to my 500 ml of carrier oil instead of the 400 grams of fresh buds. That’s why I’m using the pot-in-pot arrangement in the IP. If I were making FHO I’d be doing it the way ween does. His success with IP Fresh Harvest Oil gives me confidence that he knows what he’s doing.

I much prefer my simplified method. If I had a patient treating cancer I’d go through the trouble of making FHO the original way. I feel it makes a higher quality oil, and Kingston Rabbi convinced me it was the optimal choice of the ones available to us in a home kitchen for cancer treatment.

Other than that I’d make my easy IP batches. :battingeyelashes:

You intrigued me with the combo mix Des. How did the brownies go, and what did your friend share about his impressions of the oil he tested?

Kiddos for the experiment and documentation thereof. :high-five:

Been traveling all evening. Time to get to sleep. See you all tomorrow. :hug:

@Desormais ...... damn! Got my attention now. :laughtwo:

Sorry about being absent here guys. Life keeps getting in the way, but in a good way. :battingeyelashes:

I’ll jump back in here tomorrow and do some clean up - and thank you to all of you that keep an eye on the thread. I’m most impressed with how much we’ve advanced these techniques. Pat yourselves on the back. :thumb:

Ok, back to Desormais... what you didn’t catch in the process is that I’ve been using buds that have been dried low and slo; DrZiggy’s Low and Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Buds dried in this manner are close to freshly harvested, and IMO it approximates what we were doing with FHO, but without all the mess you just went through.

I use 100 grams of low and slo-dried bud to my 500 ml of carrier oil instead of the 400 grams of fresh buds. That’s why I’m using the pot-in-pot arrangement in the IP. If I were making FHO I’d be doing it the way ween does. His success with IP Fresh Harvest Oil gives me confidence that he knows what he’s doing.

I much prefer my simplified method. If I had a patient treating cancer I’d go through the trouble of making FHO the original way. I feel it makes a higher quality oil, and Kingston Rabbi convinced me it was the optimal choice of the ones available to us in a home kitchen for cancer treatment.

Other than that I’d make my easy IP batches. :battingeyelashes:

You intrigued me with the combo mix Des. How did the brownies go, and what did your friend share about his impressions of the oil he tested?

Kiddos for the experiment and documentation thereof. :high-five:

Been traveling all evening. Time to get to sleep. See you all tomorrow. :hug:

I tried 2 fresh infusions prior to this.
The first was with olive oil on the stirrer hotplate and the second was with olive oil and water in the bowl of the instant pot.

With this one, I chose grapeseed oil, as I wanted to look at topicals too.
I'm also interested in keeping terpenes as high as I can.

Everything that I processed in the last couple of weeks was what I had, after I cleaned up.
The Hulkberry trim was a present. I find it realy gives me dry mouth.
The other dried stuff was material I was forced to brown bag, because I didn't have enough at the time.
I've shut everything down before I go for surgery at the end of the year.

I should have more feedback from folks on the oil in a couple of weeks or the new year.
The brownies are pretty horrible, but edible.
20mg of Brownie and you feel a bit relaxed.
I've been swapping between this and capsules from my first oil extraction.
This has been a before bed thing and I'm using it to try and stop the spasms I get in the night.
I've managed to mostly stop the benzodiazepines.

I'm not convinced the brownie sludge is so strong, so maybe it is all in the oil?

I'm relatively happy I have done my best to keep the compounds that I can, intact.

My IP cycling was to make things easier, as I just set it away for 2 hours, as I left for work each day.
This means the only work I had was at the start and the end.
'
Immersion blending is not a problem and taking 'drying and curing' out removes another step and hopefully keeps more terpenes.
Squeezing the oil at the end is a chew on.
I need to figure out a better way to do this and it will probably involve a bottle jack.

Next time, I'll reduce the amount of cycles, but leave the total time in the pot at a week.
This will be next year now.

We might have something interesting next year.

Desormais, we’ve been playing with leaving infused oils sit for a couple weeks before straining the mash out. That has potentiated the end product in ways we don’t yet understand.

This wouldn’t be a thing that’d work with what you’ve done, but something you might want to give thought to for future experiments.

My brownie recipe is adapted from the Biobomb process and keeps the plant material in the mix, so you leave no cannabinoid behind. You might enjoy this read:

Biobomb Brownies

This recipe makes delicious brownies, and you can make them more potent by just using more plant material. The most potent ones I ever made were with 14 grams of Dark Devil sugar leaves. Whew! That was an experience! :laughtwo:

I look forward to hearing of your next experiments. Good luck with surgery. :hug:

Desormais, we’ve been playing with leaving infused oils sit for a couple weeks before straining the mash out. That has potentiated the end product in ways we don’t yet understand.

This wouldn’t be a thing that’d work with what you’ve done, but something you might want to give thought to for future experiments.

My brownie recipe is adapted from the Biobomb process and keeps the plant material in the mix, so you leave no cannabinoid behind. You might enjoy this read:

Biobomb Brownies

This recipe makes delicious brownies, and you can make them more potent by just using more plant material. The most potent ones I ever made were with 14 grams of Dark Devil sugar leaves. Whew! That was an experience! :laughtwo:

I look forward to hearing of your next experiments. Good luck with surgery. :hug:
Hey Sue,

I had read this in these forums, which was why I did the weeks worth of processing.
My thinking on potency is

We don't know if it is
1. Time on it's own
2. Time since the last heated/pressurised cycle
3. Time and the heated/pressurised process cycles keeping the rate of reaction/diffusion up

Let's forget about 1 as this is is just leaving herb in oil for a long time and someone would have seen this before.
For 2, I think about what the reaction is that causes this. i.e. a long time of nothing after the process.
After, the heat/pressure finishes, then we have time only, at atmospheric pressure and ambient temperature.

If I used more cycles of heat/pressure over the same time, what would cause 3 to be less potent than 2?

To my mind, that could only be some sort of fermentation, where more heat/pressure cycles over the same time would retard or stop the fermentation.

If we say that it is a diffusion and time thing, then why would cycles of heat retard this?
Brownian motion would only increase with heating cycles, as we put more energy into the system and pressure brings molecules closer together to possibly help diffusion.

In truth it may be both.
As plant material is heated and then left to degrade, it may start to decompose and then leach more chemicals out.
So, I think continually spiking the extraction with heat/pressure cycles will make oil more potent, over the same total time as we compost the herb and give all the molecules more kinetic energy.

This is where my logic is going with this and the Ultrasonic at the start was there to break cell walls and release the chems. This may be what is seen in extractions that have been left for a long time, with natural cell decomposition breaking the cell walls and releasing chemicals rather than a fermentation of sorts.

The venting, opening and stirring that you and Ween do might be a simple as letting oxygen in to help the cell decomposition process.

Naturally, there may be something else I haven't considered.

The fact I saw practically no water in my squeezed oil is a big clue.
I just haven't decided what it means yet, haha.

Thank you for the good wishes.
Like many, I found myself here because I got sick and everybody seems really nice.
I have been misdiagnosed, operated on twice and I'm now undiagnosed.
They are going to give me a colostomy, which is why I am on Magnus's thread too, as I want to know what I can make if/when I get skin problems.
My Dad has a history of eczema and I have it lightly on my shins.

Weren't you testing out a new method for infusions that involved soaking for weeks in the fridge? If you updated elsewhere can you point me? If not maybe an update? Thanks!

I’m going to try new batches of oil when I get home from my trip to Pittsburgh Brian. When I made the two batches I’m working with now I was messing with the decarb and burnt the carrier oil, which I believe tamped down the euphoric effect.

Having said that I’m testing one out right now. I took it at 3 PM and it’s now 10:30 PM. No spectacular buzz from this but I’m still high, high enough that that singular brownie kept me feeling satisfied for the rest of the day.

So there’s definitely something worth exploring here. I’m excited to get back home and start a new batch. Lol!

It was good to find I’d at least get a reputable buzz after apparently compromising the mix. Kinda scared me for a moment, thinking I may have wasted 16 grams of buds in those two batches of oil. Now I know it wasn’t damaged enough to lose the ability to induce a buzz.
I like the Brownie post.
I am nearly there, I didn't add the LSL.:)

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. The LSL makes quite a difference IMHO. The brownies will still get you high without, but not as quickly or for as long.

made infused pain topicals for christmas presents

50% infused grapeseed oil with palm butter, shea butter, eucalyptus extract, mint extract, and some organic beeswax to preserve and keep it together at room temp. melts with body temp.

got tiny mason jars at the dollar store.
the ribbon is colored electrical tape lol

made infused pain topicals for christmas presents

50% infused grapeseed oil with palm butter, shea butter, eucalyptus extract, mint extract, and some organic beeswax to preserve and keep it together at room temp. melts with body temp.

got tiny mason jars at the dollar store.
the ribbon is colored electrical tape lol

Hehehe! Colored electrical tape..... love it. :high-five:

Do you have precise measurements, by chance? It sounds divine bluter. Is it meant for some particular treatment?

Hehehe! Colored electrical tape..... love it. :high-five:

Do you have precise measurements, by chance? It sounds divine bluter. Is it meant for some particular treatment?

not really. for either. just a general pain cream. thc based. can do anti-inflammatory with a cbd based infusion.

i make the base grapeseed infusion, and the shea butter / palm butter mix, as separate things and keep them in jars in the fridge. grapeseed infusion is standard instant pot method. the shea butter / palm butter is melted together in a double boiler 1:2 ratio.

when i make the final product i choose a jar size, then shave enough beeswax from a block i bought to cover the bottom of the jar plus a bit. add a few drops of a chosen essential oil or two, pour in the grapeseed infusion to a bit over half the jar, then pour in the shea / palm butter to top. the shea / palm mix will have to be re-melted in the double boiler previous.

once the jar is full it goes in to the double boiler to melt the beeswax and marry everything up. when the beeswax is melted you can bring the jar out of the boiler and let cool.

not really. for either. just a general pain cream. thc based. can do anti-inflammatory with a cbd based infusion.

i make the base grapeseed infusion, and the shea butter / palm butter mix, as separate things and keep them in jars in the fridge. grapeseed infusion is standard instant pot method. the shea butter / palm butter is melted together in a double boiler 1:2 ratio.

when i make the final product i choose a jar size, then shave enough beeswax from a block i bought to cover the bottom of the jar plus a bit. add a few drops of a chosen essential oil or two, pour in the grapeseed infusion to a bit over half the jar, then pour in the shea / palm butter to top. the shea / palm mix will have to be re-melted in the double boiler previous.

once the jar is full it goes in to the double boiler to melt the beeswax and marry everything up. when the beeswax is melted you can bring the jar out of the boiler and let cool.

I can see a picture tutorial in my future. Lol! It flashed across my brain the whole time I read this bluter. Thanks for sharing.

Cocoa butter and peppermint oil for the win!!!

Live that smell

I keep forgetting the cocoa butter. :laughtwo: It does create the most magnificent smell when matched to peppermint. How much do you use Chris?

I can see a picture tutorial in my future. Lol! It flashed across my brain the whole time I read this bluter. Thanks for sharing.

I keep forgetting the cocoa butter. :laughtwo: It does create the most magnificent smell when matched to peppermint. How much do you use Chris?

Usually swap out about 10-15% of the wax with the Cocoa,dosent take a lot to get that amazing smell

I'm big on the essential oils to... 20-30 drops if each to get some good help and smells

Back
Top Bottom