Instant Pot Cannabis Oil: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

I have the instant pot 6 qt, Duo.
Don't see a manual setting on it.
If you are decarbing prior too making the oil then no need for the machine to do it. But if you want the machine to decarb it during cooking then what do you do?

I have a duo-plus

Run mine on pressure cook
High, it decarbs it for u
For 2hrs, let natural cool over night
Run it again

Chris, The manual say "Working temperature: 115°C ~ 118°C (239°F ~ 244°F) at high pressure setting; 110°C ~ 112°C (229 ~ 233°F) at low pressure setting".

So the lower setting is very close to the 235 degrees needed to decarb. The High setting would be a bit high, but if it does not reach 250 degrees all should be good, right?

hi guys...

crashing the thread with an episode of : What's Going On In Bluters' Kitchen ? :cheesygrinsmiley:

i make a topical butter based on instant pot methods and thought i would share. i am shamelessly cross-posting from my journal.

most of my grow is medical. easily 75% or more goes into pills, and topicals. over time i have simplified the processes to just a few infused base oils. i make the final products from those base oils. the largest breakthrough was finding the amazing @SweetSue 's instant pot cannabis oil thread.

the instant pot replaces machines costing hundreds of dollars more, which do not do the job as well. i strongly suggest to anyone interested in medical to get one.

today i am making a cbd based body butter. it is primarily an anti-inflammatory. i also make a thc based butter, which is aimed at straight pain reduction. i usually recommend using both, but some folk report preferring one or the other, depending on what they wanna relieve.

about 70% of what i make goes to my parents and a few other folk.

first i make a base infused cbd oil using the instant pot method. i do a double cook on all my oils. all that means is i run the cook in the instant pot through two cycles, with an 8hr or longer cool down period between. it is covered in the thread.

full

i use grapeseed oil as a carrier oil for all my topicals. grapeseed oil is a fantastic carrier, is readily available, and crosses the skin barrier to absorb better any other oil at it's price point. it will sink in to the skin quickly with less of a lingering oily film than other available carrier oils.

i make a slightly larger batch, but all the proportions are the same. i usually infuse :

24 - 26 grams of dried bud / 750 ml of carrier oil.

to the base oil we'll add a shea butter and palm butter mix. i normally prepare it ahead of time and will have it on hand, like i do with my infused oils. both of the butters need to be kept refrigerated, as they melt with room or body temp.

full

i use a 2 : 1 palm butter / shea butter mix. this seems to be a popular proportion for other applications, i did not arrive at it scientific. just copied. also the stuff is kind of expensive, so i use less of the pricey shea butter.

just a note : you could infuse the shea and palm butters directly , but they are not great carrier oils, and your cost effectiveness wouldn't justify it. :)

i melt the two butters together in a double-boiler. you can use other things, but i highly recommend a double boiler. i use it throughout the process. it's easy enough to fake one with a metal bowl and a pot. my favorite double boiler set up is a discarded restaurant steam table insert i use with a trusty old pot...

full

put a little water in the bottom and add the butters at low to medium heat on the stove...

full

melt them slow ... usually start a bit under medium and lower it as the water in the bottom heats ..

the actual measurements are 500g : 250g palm butter / shea butter

full

you get the idea. pour into a handy glass container when done. will look like a rather large urine sample. tell your kids that's what it is while it cools so they leave it alone .... :p

full

i generally let it cool overnight then refrigerate for longer term storage. it turns white after cooling. tell your kids not to eat the solid white urine ... lol ... actually i don't store any of this stuff where children could access. neither should you .. :)

full

ok. now we have the basics. the great thing about this method is it can be broken down in steps. all the stuff to build the final product can be made and stored ahead of time, then put together as needed.

clean up that double boiler and put some water in both top and bottom. heat your base oils up.

full

i like to heat everything up so it marries together. you don't want it too warm. the bottle should never be too hot to handle. about the same as warming baby formula. you don't wanna cook stuff a second time, it will ruin the effectiveness.

in a 250 ml jar i will use about 150 ml of the infused grapeseed oil, and 100 ml of the palm/shea mix. you can measure. i do it all by eyeball .... :cheesygrinsmiley:

the key is about 2/3 infused oil to 1/3 palm and shea butter mix ... start with the infused oil, then warm up the palm/shea mix and add...

full

i had some palm/shea mix previous, which was enough, i just remelted and used it. this a good visual of the amounts.

it's a good idea to add some essential oils to the mix at this point. it only takes a few drops. with a little research, you can find essential oils targeted to the area you wish to treat. it's a great compliment to the canna oil, adds nice aromas to the weedy smell (mom loves it), and is a direct signal that this is a non ingest-able topical product.

i used frankincense and a little eucalyptus - both useful in inflammation and joint pain ... :cheer:

full

it only takes 4 - 8 drops of each in a 250 ml mix

go easy if you use eucalyptus. 3- 5 drops in 250 ml. the aroma is rather strong. it is one of my faves tho, along with frankincense. it's a popular combo with cbd based topicals i make. i use japanese mint oil with the thc based topicals alot. often with frankincense as well.

now we have most everything we want in a jar. but it's not gonna really get solid on it's own, and leaving it in the fridge to keep solid is not so handy for a bunch of folk. the palm/shea butter mix melts at room temp, and the grapeseed infusion is so light it never gets solid.

so we're gonna add some organic beeswax .... :)

beeswax comes in few different forms pellets, blocks, etc... if you get it as a block, i recommend getting a grater ...

full

beeswax is inert, nontoxic, and edible. at least the non commercial stuff. the local organic sourced beeswax costs less than half of the amazon etc offerings. grate some of that goodness up ....

full

doesn't take a bunch ....

full

looks like cheese lol ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

recommend getting a cheap dollar store grater to do this., and leave it as a dedicated beeswax grater. it's near impossible to clean all the wax off the grater after using.. there's nothing about it that will hurt you, except whipping the grater out to make dinner in front of your girlfriend after using it for beeswax... :(

at any rate .. i have a snazzy new food only grater now .... :p
and a beeswax grater ..

back to the beeswax ... i use between 8 - 12g of the beeswax for a 250 ml jar. less and the final product is looser, more and it gets a bit firmer. you can go as high as 18 - 20 grams for a firm product. i shoot for a consistency about the same as butter - food butter lol.

full

add it to your warm oils ....

full

cap the jar and give it a good shake / tumble. the wax will disperse more evenly through the mix. the wax is actually denser than the oils, but it traps more air, even when melted, and will eventually try working it's way to the top.

full

pop it back in the warm double boiler ...

full

and let everything warm up to liquid and mix. i like to give the mix a spin in the boiler or take it out and give it shake / tumble every once in a while. watch your temps. it can take a bit of time ...

full

take it out of the double boiler once everything is all liquid and married up ..

full

and let cool slowly. no more than room temp for the first 8 hours. in the winter i like to put the jar on a cool window sill to help a bit at first ..

full

the key to cooling is slow. stuffing it in the fridge is gonna cause issues. the different oils, wax etc, all have different densities. cooling it slowly ,makes sure everything mixes through consistent. otherwise stuff will separate and the butter will not be near as effective.

i will sometimes reverse the jar to get oils consistent all the way through in cooling. even when done slow, the infused grapeseed is so light it will like to separate, and this forces it to flow through everything ....

full

my grandma taught me that ... :)

about 6 - 8 hrs in you should be close to finished passive cooling ...

full

at this point you should have something that is close to soft butter in consistency ...

full

essentially it is good to go. it will never get looser than this consistency once cooled to room temp. at this point i like to pop it in the fridge and let it get a bit firmer, or keep til needed.

it melts with body temp and is applicable even straight from the fridge. it won't even feel cold. :)
have never had a jar go rancid. do recommend long term storage in the fridge. i know most aren't, or go through it faster than it would go sour. mine has lived on the bathroom counter for the past 6 months with no issues.

this recipe is for a bit larger amount. i will often remelt this in the double-boiler and divvy it up in to smaller jars for handier use or gifts. if you let it cool slowly in the smaller jars and do not invert them, you will get a nice smooth hollywood top on the surface .... :cheesygrinsmiley:

and that's how i make my topical butters.

make sure you get out and experiment with this great instant pot goodness. much love to sweet sue ... :green_heart:

In to jars I took 28 grams of a mix of indicas and sativas and 750 ml coconut oil in two pint jars. In the Instant Pot I covered them with foil to the moisture out and on high pressure cook them for two hours, let cool overnight and cooked again on high.

What do I do now?

Would like to make some edibles but unsure of potency, any help here?

strain and use oil in your favorite recipe.

just google the brownies. the first thing that comes up is snoop dogg and stewarts brownies. they pay to keep it at the top of the search.

I have the recipe in this thread.

Hello, going to try crock pot this herb, weight is 103 grams wet. Was hanging since Wednesday or Thursday, will it decarb in the crock pot? And also do I add the lecithin after it’s done? Or can I add it wile it’s cooking? Would like some quick reply’s as I would like to get this started ASAP lol I’m so excited, this is going to be my first
0ABB69DE-8639-4EEE-9DA0-219F40DAEC0D.jpeg

@SweetSue

So I used 28 grams of bud and 750 ml coconut oil, how much sunflower lecithin should i use?

@SweetSue

So I used 28 grams of bud and 750 ml coconut oil, how much sunflower lecithin should i use?

We seem to be ships passing in the night while I’m in study mode gr. :hug:

I‘d go with about 2.5 - 3 tablespoons of the lecithin. I don’t measure real close. I kinda pour until I think I got it right. I’ve measured enough of them to have a good feel. A little more wont hurt anything, and may just help with absorption, but I try to stick close to 1 tablespoon for ever cup (about 250 ml) of oil.

We seem to be ships passing in the night while I’m in study mode gr. :hug:

I‘d go with about 2.5 - 3 tablespoons of the lecithin. I don’t measure real close. I kinda pour until I think I got it right. I’ve measured enough of them to have a good feel. A little more wont hurt anything, and may just help with absorption, but I try to stick close to 1 tablespoon for ever cup (about 250 ml) of oil.

And this is just for edibles, or do I use it if i'm just making caps also. So new to this but learning.

Thanks Sue!

I guess I should give up.
Made the Instant Pot oil with 28 grams mixed cannabis and 750 ml oil. Cooked twice as recommended, so after the second cooling I want to add about 14 grams of Decarbed Rosin so I heated the oil to 210 and when I was getting it out of the oven I knocked the quart jar over, spilt about 2/3's. but was able to save about a cup. So I added the Rosin to the one cup of oil. Going to make a batch of gummies so will see how the turn out.
This is twice in my last two attempts to make meds that I have fucked up and spilt shit.
The cannabis gods must hate me.

OK, was able to save about a cup of the Instant Pot oil,so today I made some gummies. To the stuff I saved I added 13 grams of Decarbed Rosin, So very unsure of the potency.
Anyway here we go, 250 gummies.
20200320_200049.jpg

I guess I should give up.
Made the Instant Pot oil with 28 grams mixed cannabis and 750 ml oil. Cooked twice as recommended, so after the second cooling I want to add about 14 grams of Decarbed Rosin so I heated the oil to 210 and when I was getting it out of the oven I knocked the quart jar over, spilt about 2/3's. but was able to save about a cup. So I added the Rosin to the one cup of oil. Going to make a batch of gummies so will see how the turn out.
This is twice in my last two attempts to make meds that I have fucked up and spilt shit.
The cannabis gods must hate me.

It’s just a learning curve. :hug: I‘ve lost a harvest in one small mistake though, so I understand the frustration.

And look..... gummies! All 250 of them. :cheesygrinsmiley:

:woohoo::welldone:

Sorry if Im bringing back up an old post, but I was curious as to something. It seems that the general consensus is to run the batch twice through the IP for two hours. But couldn't the same results be essentially "achieved" by running a 4hr cycle from the start? Or is this something that should be avoided?
@SweetSue

Is there a way to use the instant pot to make cannabutter?
I normally use the on the stove, butter, cannabis and water method, but since I bought an IP thinking maybe I could sue it for cannabutter.

Back
Top Bottom