Insulation batts: Why didn't I get these years ago

Me like many others love a good stealth grow and for years ive been doing many of the usual things like carbon filers, grow tents, fan silencers, whisper fans, fan controllers, inline, exhaust, oscillating fans, ozone generators, panda/builders plastic and many many other things. from the impractical to the frivolous.
Most recently since upgrading my setup I've found it's becoming more difficult to keep it %100 stealth. Like a very small deep hum or a slight whiff every so often.
Decided to buy some of these insulation batts to line and cover parts of my room. The results where immediate.
They literally got rid of any sound escaping my area along with a more stable temperature. No smells escaping either.
The foil backing allows me to cut it to size and sticky tape it to anywhere. It also works really well at insulating tents.
I got 17kg of R3.5 for $35. The cheapest stealth investment I've made and probably one of the best in donkey's years.

Hey Metal, Be REALLY careful with that "earthwool" I've been hearing some nasty rumours about the long term effects of the fibres on the lungs. If you want to go with something similiar I'd suggest a foil faced sheathing board, it a polyisocyanurate foam insulation wrapped in heavy silver foil, easy to cut easy to assemble plus 1" give you R6 plus the value of the foil. A little more expensive but much safer because it doesn't outgas, is fire retardent and a much better insulator.

I will have to consider that for sound. I have used other insulating products to my advantage before though. I used the 1" foam type. It comes in 4' x 8' sheets and can be cut with a razor knife. I had really cold floors and used it to insulate the bottom of the pots. It worked so well I plan to use it again in other situations.

I have considered it for temperature control. Never thought about the sound deadening value of it. I don't know if it would do as good of a job as what you used for that. I might need to reconsider.

Nice post.

I Have outdoor shed That I built and use for my grow room, I insulated it with 2" thick foam board and put 1/2" drywall over that. With ventilation, A/C, dehumidifier all running it sounds like some kind of factory from the outside. Wonder what my neighbors think? At least my carbon filter works well...

I Have outdoor shed That I built and use for my grow room, I insulated it with 2" thick foam board and put 1/2" drywall over that. With ventilation, A/C, dehumidifier all running it sounds like some kind of factory from the outside. Wonder what my neighbors think? At least my carbon filter works well...

Hi Vegan, I'm going to try and keep it simple because I don't know your level of expertise when it come to soundproofing a structure, but you might try separating everything with a motor from direct contact with the walls and roof. It the resonance from the motor vibration that causes much of the noise. I've found that a dense foam is good if the motor (or it's case) has to rest on a wall I've used multiple strips of neoprene from an old pair of leaky waders and even cut pool noodles.

I ended up using some of the foam I had left over for a fan mount. it worked pretty good. Better than the rubber I used in the first tent. I don't mount my fans to the main structure because of holes in the walls. I mount mine on tables which seems to help with vibration.

I think the airy structure of batt insulation might help more for sound deadening than the solid foam of the board stuff.

Back
Top Bottom