Insulation batts: Why didn't I get these years ago

Metal Halide

Me like many others love a good stealth grow and for years ive been doing many of the usual things like carbon filers, grow tents, fan silencers, whisper fans, fan controllers, inline, exhaust, oscillating fans, ozone generators, panda/builders plastic and many many other things. from the impractical to the frivolous.
Most recently since upgrading my setup I've found it's becoming more difficult to keep it %100 stealth. Like a very small deep hum or a slight whiff every so often.
Decided to buy some of these insulation batts to line and cover parts of my room.

The results where immediate.
They literally got rid of any sound escaping my area along with a more stable temperature. No smells escaping either.
The foil backing allows me to cut it to size and sticky tape it to anywhere. It also works really well at insulating tents.
I got 17kg of R3.5 for $35. The cheapest stealth investment I've made and probably one of the best in donkey's years.

Agreed. I'll pass on exposed fiberglass lol
That fiberglass? With a foil back? To each his own, I guess, I wouldn’t want any fiberglass shards flying around landing on my stickie buds.
Nah i got foil side facing towards me and its covered in builders plastic. Not that stupid. Plus its inert non combustible earthwool. Good stuff

Me like many others love a good stealth grow and for years ive been doing many of the usual things like carbon filers, grow tents, fan silencers, whisper fans, fan controllers, inline, exhaust, oscillating fans, ozone generators, panda/builders plastic and many many other things. from the impractical to the frivolous.
Most recently since upgrading my setup I've found it's becoming more difficult to keep it %100 stealth. Like a very small deep hum or a slight whiff every so often.
Decided to buy some of these insulation batts to line and cover parts of my room.

The results where immediate.
They literally got rid of any sound escaping my area along with a more stable temperature. No smells escaping either.
The foil backing allows me to cut it to size and sticky tape it to anywhere. It also works really well at insulating tents.
I got 17kg of R3.5 for $35. The cheapest stealth investment I've made and probably one of the best in donkey's years.

Isnt it great when a simple inexpensive change improves things?

Airborne bits are a concern. I imagine you taped the joints with aluminum tape, then gave the space a good vacuum followed by a damp cloth wipe down?

Bud washing is a good practice to follow as well.

Thanks for sharing your project.

Isnt it great when a simple inexpensive change improves things?

Airborne bits are a concern. I imagine you taped the joints with aluminum tape, then gave the space a good vacuum followed by a damp cloth wipe down?

Bud washing is a good practice to follow as well.

Thanks for sharing your project.
Yeah def worth every cent. i feel safer
I just covered it all in builders plastic and sealed it with gaffa tape. Extra insulation and soundproofing

That'll work just fine :thumb: At some point some plywood on the walls pained white would give you protection for the insulation, a good reflective surface, and something you can screw in to for hanging all the gadgets.

nice idea. i used sound specific insulation in my build, but this may be a good cheap alternate.

the stuff i used goes behind the walls.

full

i put some on the ceiling as well.

full

isolates the room incredibly well.

there is an automotive product called dynamat which is even more effective. it can be bought in bulk, but gets very pricey.

The plastic covering makes all the difference for me, never heard of earthwool before sounds like a winner and fire proof to boot well OK, thanks
Love me some builders plastic. Used to use Heaps of it to line everything but it can get noisy when trodden in by me when I'm stoned as 10 chooks
:ganjamon::Namaste::nomo:

the stuff i used goes behind the walls.

full

i put some on the ceiling as well.

full

isolates the room incredibly well.

there is an automotive product called dynamat which is even more effective. it can be bought in bulk, but gets very pricey.
I wish I could but I rent so I've had to become creative. Wish I was as handy with a tool as you. In my case and in most situations, I'm mostly the only tool around
:cheesygrinsmiley::goodjob:

I will have to consider that for sound. I have used other insulating products to my advantage before though. I used the 1" foam type. It comes in 4' x 8' sheets and can be cut with a razor knife. I had really cold floors and used it to insulate the bottom of the pots. It worked so well I plan to use it again in other situations.

I have considered it for temperature control. Never thought about the sound deadening value of it. I don't know if it would do as good of a job as what you used for that. I might need to reconsider.

Nice post.

I will have to consider that for sound. I have used other insulating products to my advantage before though. I used the 1" foam type. It comes in 4' x 8' sheets and can be cut with a razor knife. I had really cold floors and used it to insulate the bottom of the pots. It worked so well I plan to use it again in other situations.

I have considered it for temperature control. Never thought about the sound deadening value of it. I don't know if it would do as good of a job as what you used for that. I might need to reconsider.

Nice post.
Anything helps really. We are considering a Small Solar fountain, solar wind chimes and other wind-generated noise making stuff to help deaden the noise i make trodding around during the middle of the night sometimes aswell. Id like to carpet or insulate the floors but mites could be concearn

That fiberglass? With a foil back? To each his own, I guess, I wouldn’t want any fiberglass shards flying around landing on my stickie buds.
I'll second that caution Bud, I've heard some nasty rumours about long term effects of fibreglass fibres, your point about sticky buds is VERY well taken.

Back
Top Bottom