Intake charge air for air cooled hoods vs drop in efficiency - 10 inches 1000w

MedicalMonstr

I can go 10 inches with my air cooled hood and maybe the canopy would hit 75f.

But I have charge air of about 45 degrees. Now I know the colder your charged air, the less efficient the bulb. Can someone direct me in what I should be doing or can I slam her down until im 80f max on the canopy?

The plants a sativa dominant golden berry. Shes been a tough girl. Its hard to hurt her. Anyways heres a pic.

Thanks in advance.

Day 40 Flower (Starting count at light cycle switch)
16657.JPG

Ok well the answer is yes. 60-70f is optimal intake temp vs how high you will need to be to be around 78-80 on the canopy.

I'm a little medicated right now so I'm not sure if this will help. I have 2 tents and run a Daisy chained from each tent to a fan thag pulls air out of my rooms. Pulls completely into another room. At the other end where is coming in I have it also outside of my actual room. It sucks air of like 68 or whatever my heat is set to past each light and is vented out of my grow room away from my tents. My room temp inside the roomost itself is 71 my veg tent is 70 and my flower tent is 77. My flower tent also has another cheap exhaust fan hooked to a carbon filter and ducting to the topp of my tent. Hope this helps a little at least.

hahahah your so stoned. But no I mean like if i super cool the bulb by say cooling it with 0 degree centrigrade air or less, will i reach a point of diminishing returns. Or I should say where is that point.

Right now I took my glass out and turned off my fan. Its straight on the plants. Full PAR. 75-78f canopy.

I read how much each reduced it. The glass and cooling it. Theirs videos on guys doing tests with par meters on tube. Shows a nice 5 % with perfect glass, whjioch mine was dirty, and also say another little with cooling. So... Im gaining alot. But can only do this because my tent is 19c.

I can air cool my hood without the glass as the ducts are above the bulb.

Okay so first point is heat is one thing. You can also sunburn the plants even in cool enough conditions so be careful.

Now about the efficiency. Air cooled hoods have there place. But in general they reduce the lighting efficiency in multiple ways and end up reducing overall yield potential. Now that isn't to say don't use them and in the right room it makes a great improvements. But the Glass alone (unless you swap it out with very expensive UV passing glass) will cut down the available light at least 10% when it is very clean. it doesn't stay very clean long. The cooling can bring it down another 10% easily. supper cooling as you suggest I don't know but if it really brings the bulb temp down it isn't making light like it should. The messed up part is it is not dropping the current from the ballast so you are using all that power and getting possibly 25% less lighting? (And then if you are using old school SE bulbs that are dim to begin with you start getting close to getting a substantially lower available PAR from your setup.)

So then you are spending money wasted on power for the light, power for the fan, power for the cooled air and getting substantially less light output regardless of the distance. Overall I can't imagine that will benefit you in total final weight. But in some cases you gotta do what ya gotta do.

I mean you are running 1000s right? So you can run them way down in efficiency and get them almost like a 600 at the cost of a 1000 but then why not just run a 600 that is much cooler and not fight the issue?

Anyway if he light is intense enough you will sunburn them or worse make some hermies if it gets too close and is substantially more intense than the light at the equator mid day.

look up lighting charts for that and you really don't want to provide more intensity than the equator and many strains still have a hard time with that. Plants on earth simply were never developed to work with light more intense than the sun and a 1000W can do that. Even a 600W can do that.

:Namaste:

This is one of my favorite videos on lighting basics. Everyone should watch it. About half way through they show a chart with the light intensity as a percentage of light intensity at the equator. It is a good video just for that point.

These guys make a ton of great videos but this one I post on here all the time and people always love it.

Back
Top Bottom