Interested in breeding? Xlr8's pollination method - Making your own cross

A while back, I decided to harvest some pollen from a male "Jack the Ripper" plant I had, and selectively pollenate a bud on a couple of different plants. I thought I'd share the process I used, in case it helps someone else out.

First, it's advisable to read up a bit on genetics to understand a bit more about which strains are best to cross with one another, etc. Success will be much more easily attained if the 2 strains are genetically diverse from one another. Pure, or landrace, strains are best. Indicas cross well with sativas - basically, you want genetic diversity to prevent recessive genes from ruining the outcome. Again, some reading up is prudent in this regard... Think of humans - cousins, brothers, sisters... shouldn't cross, or problems may occur. Same goes for plants (though advanced breeding takes advantage of these anomalies, but that's another topic...).

It should be noted that when 2 strains that are genetically diverse are crossed, the offspring may have what is called hybrid vigor. Hybrid vigor means they grow faster/more vigorously, they are more resistant to diseases, and problems - and will probably even yield a bit better. So the seeds you get from a properly done selective pollination should be very good seeds, indeed.

Okay, here's how I did it:

I had a spare room, unconnected and with no shared ventilation to the females. I set up a 4 bulb T5 lamp directly over it and threw it on a timer 12/12. I made sure that I always watered/fed it last thing before bedtime, and never went into the room with the females after visiting the male.

At about day 21 or so of bloom for the male and the females in separate room, I set some little glass bowls underneath some of the male flowers. The next day, some of the male flowers had dropped their pollen into the glass bowls. Day 21-28 is a good timeframe, as the females are ready for the pollen, and it gives them just the right amount of time for seeds to mature before harvest (takes about 35 days for seeds to mature).

I shut off all ventilation where the females were so there would be no fans to blow pollen, etc (This is very important!!)

I very carefully carried the pollen bowl, with a q-tip also in hand to where the females were. I pollinated one small bud on 3 different plants by very carefully painting pollen on the bud with the q-tip, being super careful not to spill or drop any on other parts of the plant or the floor, etc. I then removed the pollen bowl and q-tip to a safe location away from the plants.

Then, I took a damp rag (water kills pollen) and wiped the floors thoroughly under where I pollinated the buds.

Pollination occurs almost instantaneously. Within seconds/minutes. The moment you touch the pollen to the pistils/bud, it's essentially pollinated and can't be reversed. There is a lot of misinformation out there on this, saying you need to wait 30 minutes, put a bag over the branch overnight, bla bla bla. Not true. It's pretty instantaneous, though I did wait about 10-15 minutes to be sure.

Now this next step is usually done differently, but I took a little shortcut: Once the pollen is on the buds, the common thing to do is to spray the whole plant(s) down thoroughly with water, to keep stray pollen from blowing around and pollinating other buds. Water everywhere (to deactivate any stray pollen)... Because I was very careful and thorough, I took a shortcut to this and just sprayed down the buds with water that were pollinated. Again, they are already pollinated, so the water just keeps any stray pollen from blowing around to other parts of the plant. I gambled that I didn't get stray pollen anywhere else (as mentioned I did wipe the floor down under the buds that were pollinated too).

It worked great and I managed to keep pollination to just the intended buds.I also took a little twisty tie, and tied it just below the bud I pollinated around the branch so I wouldn't forget which bud was pollinated.So, I carefully painted the buds, waited 10-15 minutes, then sprayed the bud down thoroughly with water until it dripped off. Then, I turned the fans and ventilation back on, end of process.

In the end, I ended up with between around 15-30 seeds per plant, just from the single small bud, lower on the plant. After about a week, you can already see significantly more swelling on the buds that were pollinated, and they just look a bit different and plumper. Within a couple of days, you see pistils dying and withering on the buds that were pollinated.

Here's a bud less than a week after pollination. If you look close, you can already see it swelling some. Notice I didn't use large buds, and they were low on the plant. Also, withering pistils indicate it was successfully pollinated:
mar_19_6.jpg

Same bud about 5 days later. More swollen calyx's:
mar_24_5.jpg

What did I do with the seeds I created?
Well, I just finished harvesting 2 plants that were from this experiment. One was an OG Kush female that was pollinated, and the other was a Deadhead OG. Both were pollinated by pollen from a Jack the Ripper male I had from some regular seeds (I know you've been following my journal, so you probably knew all this).

Would I do it again? Absolutely. Worked great and produced 2 great unique crosses (I call them "Deadhead Ripper" and "OG Ripper").

These are some buds from Deadhead Ripper (Deadhead OG x Jack the Ripper). One of the reasons I liked this cross, is the 2 strains involved were both SUPER resinous. I hoped for some equally, if not more, frosty offspring - and wasn't disappointed!:
nov_20_11.jpg

This is just what i needed to fill out some blanks i had about breeding! short and simple! easy to follow, just how i like it! +reps m8

Anyways, ive done some light reeding about this, and from my understanding, genetics that are the same, will dubble up ?

i.e a plant that are frosty, if crossed with another frosty, will be even more frosty (you coverd this already)

but, if i cross a plant that grows really bushy, with another bushy plant, will its offspring become even more bushy?

Thanks for a nice guide for us newbies!

This is just what i needed to fill out some blanks i had about breeding! short and simple! easy to follow, just how i like it! +reps m8

Anyways, ive done some light reeding about this, and from my understanding, genetics that are the same, will dubble up ?

i.e a plant that are frosty, if crossed with another frosty, will be even more frosty (you coverd this already)

but, if i cross a plant that grows really bushy, with another bushy plant, will its offspring become even more bushy?

Thanks for a nice guide for us newbies!

Thank you for the nice feedback and the reps! :thanks:

Good question. To be more specific, crossing 2 frosty plants suggests a greater likelihood for frosty offspring. And 2 bushy plants crossed have a greater likelihood of bushy offspring. It depends on dominant and recessive traits, and which ones are passed on to the offspring. Now, there are many factors/genes in play. This is called "Mendelian genetics" or "Mendel's laws" (named after the person who discovered them, Gregor Mendel).

In the case of my 2 frosty plants, each was frosty in different ways. Both parents had really frosty leaves. One parent had thick trichomes on the fans that were patterned almost. The other had mutant leaves that grew buds in addition to the frosty leaves, and frosty leaf stems. The offspring picked up the frosty leaves with patterned trichomes from one plant, but additionally had leaf stems and mutant bud leaves like the other parent. The end result was in essence "frostier", but in reality it just picked up various traits from each parent, specifically related to trichome coverage in this example. Does that make sense?

In your "bushy" example certain traits will be passed on from each parent. There are many traits, but each one will reflect either parent, but not really "double up" per se'. However, lets say one is bushy at the base, and one grows bushy up top. It may be possible that these are separate traits, and a combination of those traits could be passed along - resulting in a plant that's bushy up top, and bushy at the base. Hypothetically speaking - not really sure if those would be genetically different traits in practice (was just an example).

This link might be helpful for more detailed info on Mendelian genetics:

Mendelian inheritance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well deserved imo! :thumb:

Genetics is a jungle haha.

if i were to cross two plants that have the same parents, same gentic setup, would it then dubble up on the traits it passes on?

the gens that would be passed on would in that case be much more dominant then before?

Hi Cheesus -

First, Mendelian genetics isn't really my strong suit. But I think the short answer, to your question would probably be no.

In that scenario, the trait would either be expressed, or not, as I understand it. But, it would actually be less likely to be expressed instead of more likely - due to the same genetic makeup. In your scenario, the dominant traits would (in some cases) be the same, making a greater probability that recessive traits would be expressed. This is advanced breeding in the sense that this is sometimes how they "unlock" desirable traits that would otherwise be unlikely to be expressed. But, this would not be a favorable cross in the terms of a plant to grow for meds - in the sense that there would be a higher probability of undesirable recessive traits to be expressed, too. Recessive traits could be "purple" or "buds on the fan leaf" or just about anything, frankly. The link on Mendelian genetics probably explains this much better than I can.

Back
Top Bottom