InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

No need to credit me. I just want others to know if things slow down as far as feeding, and the plant has time to finish, it can be overcome and give the plant time to bulk up. It works well in coco and I believe in other media with massive root growth can help out. Why waste feeding to run off if the plant still needs it. You'll notice the plants uptake with less run off.

I didn't invent it as my friend who is an arborist (sicivan) core drilled a few big trees I had years ago. During a grow that I had where I ran a long veg I had fabric pots that wouldn't give when I pushed on the outside. I thought root bound. Not good. So I thought what did I have to loose.
I now make it part of my grow schedule. After stretch I core every week at different depths. 8-12 holes a week and it's made a difference.

Nice artwork Derb. I think I’ve been doing this all along not even knowing it was a thing. After several waterings it seems the top layer of soil hardens and carries a lot of surface tension. My water will go to the edge of the pot and lead to early runoff. So I take the long garden staples I use for training and scratch up the surface and probe them into the dirt in various places. Then my water soaks into the soil almost as soon as it’s poured.

It’s just like pruning above the surface. When you root prune (or core), you are providing more locations for roots to initiate. If you do this when you up-pot (shave through the roots on the perimeter of your root mass), you will see explosive growth into the new medium. The plant doesn’t mind as long as you don’t remove too much root system.

Like this. ^^^ you can here the roots crack while doing it.
And that's a good thing!
you will see explosive growth into the new medium.
Speaking of which, my Big Gulp GT roots are already coming out of the bottom, 5 days after transplant.

-----------------------------------------------
How about a pic of my AF-47, which is on flip day 5:

It's 36" long and 32" deep, and every couple of days I take off some tiny lower growth with my thumbnail. I left enough on when I thinned it so I could take more cuttings if the ones I took don't root, but I'm planning on doing the post-stretch pruning like my AK-47s got (the mother of this strain), so it will be getting something close to a full lollipop.

I always take a razor blade to my root ball when uppotting. Not real deep but I’ll cut down the length of each side just deep enough to cut the outer most layer of roots.

And that's a good thing!

Speaking of which, my Big Gulp GT roots are already coming out of the bottom, 5 days after transplant.

How about a pic of my AF-47, which is on flip day 5:

It's 36" long and 32" deep, and every couple of days I take off some tiny lower growth with my thumbnail. I left enough on when I thinned it so I could take more cuttings if the ones I took don't root. I'm planning on doing the post-stretch pruning like my AK-47s got (the mother of this strain), so it will be getting something close to a full lollipop.
She’s a bute Shed

Back
Top Bottom