InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Great idea! I'll be doing this for all my plants that gets up-potted from here on. It's mostly chilis and herbs, but I have started two Jack Hair autos in smaller pots for up-potting (always planted in final container previously), so this tip comes at the best possible time :thumb:
Careful up-potting those Jack Hairs, they tend to split! :laughtwo:

That's what I figured...as long as I had the pots and the ProMix out, do them all!

And with that in mind, here is a rare Saturday afternoon update :).

Let me start with the root pruning I did on the Candida mother and clones. They've been in the 1 gallon pots for a long time now so they were due. I've shown this before but I thought I would put a few pics up for folks that haven't seen it.

Here is the rootball:

I take a saw and cut off the bottom third:

Then I square the sides by taking off about an inch, leaving me with a cube:

Love your pictorials Shed! Always so very helpful!!

you didn’t mention the mums specifically
I only have one mother Candida but it spends its time with the other two taken at the same time. They are 1.1.1.1.x and they're all about the same size.
they have been under both 20/4 and 24/0 schedules at different times
That's correct.
I’ve often wondered about the differences it would or wouldn’t make with exclusively “synthetic” nutrition.
From the second quote I posted it seems that the high P in our synthetic nutes is detrimental to the survival of mycorrhiza.
Perfect up can on the springers! I was troubled whenever I did the sounding technique with a skewer into roots thinking I'm hurting them. I'm cured! It's a miracle Shed!
If chopping off all those roots doesn't kill them I can't see root coring doing much damage!
Great idea! I'll be doing this for all my plants that gets up-potted from here on. It's mostly chilis and herbs, but I have started two Jack Hair autos in smaller pots for up-potting (always planted in final container previously), so this tip comes at the best possible time
Glad to help NC! You need to teach your autocorrect the word "Herer" or comedy will ensue :).
Love your pictorials Shed! Always so so helpful!!
Thanks Tommyboy! I figured it was worth showing. :high-five:

Glad to help NC! You need to teach your autocorrect the word "Herer" or comedy will ensue :).
Heh... The seeds are actually called "Jack Hair" by the breeder. There are discussions about the pronunciation of Herer, and "Hair" "comes up, e.g. here (or should I say e.g. hair?).

One might wonder why the breeder went with that spelling. They mention Jack Herer, not by his correctly spelled name, but by saying that this strain is named in honour of him.

The very first time I posted about them, I had the feeling that someone might bring this exact thing up. I've even considered volunteering an explanation before the fact :laughtwo:

I'm up for the comedy though! :goof:

Be gone for a month and come back with 20+ more pages of information to sift through! :laughtwo: :reading420magazine:
Don't feel bad, I've been gone for like 2 years, this thread was going on long before that. Impossible for me to catch up :laughtwo: :reading420magazine::reading420magazine:

The very first time I posted about them, I had the feeling that someone might bring this exact thing up. I've even considered volunteering an explanation before the fact
I always just figured it was autocorrect! Weird that they made a conscious decision to change the spelling of his last name. I guess they're completely unrelated to the variety called Jack Herer?
Be gone for a month and come back with 20+ more pages of information to sift through!
:sorry: :cheesygrinsmiley:
Don't feel bad, I've been gone for like 2 years, this thread was going on long before that. Impossible for me to catch up
I recommend no one catch up here more than a few pages. Just ask questions!
Are they Hair-loom seeds
And when you smoke more of it you're having some of the Hair of the dog that bit you!

I always just figured it was autocorrect! Weird that they made a conscious decision to change the spelling of his last name. I guess they're completely unrelated to the variety called Jack Herer?
Well, let's be weed nerds for a moment. Note that I know nothing about this and just wing it.

Two strain references say:

"...developed by Sensi Seeds in the 1980s or 90s,... Although the exact genetic formula is a guarded secret, Jack Herer is thought to be the product of sativa staple Haze and a cross of Northern Lights #5 and Shiva Skunk. " (ref. wikileaf)

"Combining a Haze hybrid with a Northern Lights #5 and Shiva Skunk cross, Sensi Seeds created Jack Herer..." (ref. leafly)

The breeder/seedbank I got the Hairs from says that it's made up of:

"Haze Hybrid x Northern Lights #5 x Shiva Skunk"

I can imagine some reasons for their take on the name. Humour and legal are two of them.

If nothing else, it seems to be the strain.

:nerd-with-glasses:

Good morning Shed, I've been moving forward with the "live resin" outsourcing and found a place that will do it for $125.00 a pound frozen fresh bud. So, what do we get from a pound? 20%, 15%? of the dry pound which is 3 or 4 oz. 20% of that is what just under an oz of something workable and perfectly done? I'm thinking of giving them a try for an ultra luxurious go. @ispire , you ruined me!
There is one catch. They are in a neighboring state close by and haven't asked where I come from. I don't expect them to ask, but it's not ok to cross the border with it. Complications suck. My homie reach outs have produced nothing for me yet so this is very interesting. I'm going to want to talk to this guy some more.

Don’t do it shed! Let those cups get full of roots first! ...a solid root ball will fill out their next container in a matter of days. Less fussing with small plants in big pots.

Good morning Shed, I've been moving forward with the "live resin" outsourcing and found a place that will do it for $125.00 a pound frozen fresh bud. So, what do we get from a pound? 20%, 15%? of the dry pound which is 3 or 4 oz. 20% of that is what just under an oz of something workable and perfectly done? I'm thinking of giving them a try for an ultra luxurious go. @ispire , you ruined me!
There is one catch. They are in a neighboring state close by and haven't asked where I come from. I don't expect them to ask, but it's not ok to cross the border with it. Complications suck. My homie reach outs have produced nothing for me yet so this is very interesting. I'm going to want to talk to this guy some more.
And another thing. You live in the best bet state for a local coop. I wonder if anyone's been doing this already and has a central location with other folks involved? The units that use co2 and create live resin start at a few grand it appears. Just out of reach for most of us individually. I bet the fam runs that up in a year no? Maybe you could channel some $$ into a machine and become a service to pad the future. I'd love to but I'm out of gas. Now that I'm retired I can see a need and how to fulfill it, but I'm freaking too banged up to follow through.

That's an interesting business model! At a 15% return (I have no idea in reality) that's 2.4 ounces or 68g of shatter/wax. A gallon of ethanol alone would cost ~$125 and that doesn't include the time and effort involved, so it sounds like a good value to me. Are they doing CO2 or solvent-based (QWET/BHO)?

Definitely worth pursuing further. :thanks: for the info otter!
Don’t do it shed! Let those cups get full of roots first! ...a solid root ball will fill out their next container in a matter of days. Less fussing with small plants in big pots.
Thanks Chef, but you're probably the only person who didn't see this post! I transplanted them on Saturday morning and they seem okay so far. I did have to spray them with neem this morning for the aphids, but I don't think the two things are related!

I do find that when I get the solo cups really full of roots that the solo cup of roots is still very much apparent when I break up the rootball after harvest. Is that a good thing?
And another thing. You live in the best bet state for a local coop. I wonder if anyone's been doing this already and has a central location with other folks involved? The units that use co2 and create live resin start at a few grand it appears. Just out of reach for most of us individually. I bet the fam runs that up in a year no? Maybe you could channel some $$ into a machine and become a service to pad the future. I'd love to but I'm out of gas. Now that I'm retired I can see a need and how to fulfill it, but I'm freaking too banged up to follow through.
I'm not sure if CO2 extraction is the best method to limit the plant waxes and sugars though, as I thought that was a cold-temperature method similar to dry ice. I think commercial live resin is created using hydrocarbon-based extraction, usually butane.

Either way, I can't see sinking that kinda cash into an extraction machine when I'm sure my wife would prefer to save up to redo the kitchen at this point. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I do find that when I get the solo cups really full of roots that the solo cup of roots is still very much apparent when I break up the rootball after harvest. Is that a good thing?
I think maybe you need to veg longer

Back
Top Bottom