InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

So after the fall it's hungry for more, and by adding it to your flour you are feeding it at exactly the right time? That's good to know for next weekend's loaves! I'm not going to refrigerate mine yet...maybe after one success.
To keep it basic (sorry if I’m womansplaining) - yeast eats the four and produces gas. The gas is what makes it rise and fall, which is also what will leaven your bread when it’s baked. Cold temperatures of the refrigerator slow the process dramatically. After it were to come back to room temp, you just want to top it off - so to speak and get a bit of fresh gas, making it ready to use. It’s kind of like pressing the pause button and then priming it to be ready-to-use again.

Edit: good call to not mess with the fridge at this point. But if you do not use the refrigerator - you do not need to top of off with a little fresh flour, it should be ready to use already.

Just to add my $.02, bread consistency is pretty basic. If it's too stiff - add water (just a tsp at a time). If it's too "pancake batter-like" add a little more flour. Here's my suggestions: #1 add a bit more flour until you are happy with the consistency; #2 add approx 1 tsp of "instant" yeast.

Instant yeast is different than "rapid" or "fast rise" yeast. It is often labeled as "bread machine" yeast. It usually comes in a small jar - not packets. Instant yeast does not require any pre-activating. Just add it directly to the flour, or in your case, the dough (then knead it in). I know you are using sourdough starter and it shouldn't require any other yeast, but often the starter is not active enough, so a bit more yeast will help your situation without affecting the flavor.
That's the yeast my wife uses. You really need yeast to make it rise.

Done a lot of bread in my Machine.
..works great..cept I bake in the oven

Always wanted to do sourdough...just never tried it yet

My pizza dough is on point... Took awhile...but love it

Was talking yesterday I need to make pizza... Do it's fitting seeing you doing bread...lol

I don't eat sugar and sourdough bread never has any sugar in it. I eat commercial sourdough all the time so I figured I'd try to make my own, especially after seeing how yummy dynamo1's look!
If anyone can sort it out, you can Shed! And it’ll be so worth the efforts. :high-five:

I definitely need to be making some bread!!! And something for my sandwishes too! I was thinking bout making pizza the other day, not actually about making it that day but, just that I should make it some time soon...

Back
Top Bottom