InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

In the name of Science! And for @Scientific who hasn't been seen since he was disqualified from January's MOTM.

Wait dynamo, I'm confused. You already said don't transplant and now it sounds like you're saying it again!
I think it should be transplanted with minimal stress is what I should have written.:Namaste:

Heya Shed, apologies for missing out on the convo last night.

So I agree with @bobrown14 in that I believe(d) ;) the roots hitting the bottom activates flowering. Recently, I had the pleasure of growing out my last Tyrone Special bean from Mephisto Genetics. The beans of this strain I grew before were in 3 gallon, the most recent was in 2 gallon. The difference between when flowering started was surprising although I must admit 2 gallons is the smallest I have gone.
Typically, the advice is to start in the final container. I have started in solo cups before and transplanted. When I do it, I’m just simply waiting about 7 days to transplant. Great white in the hole and on the transplant. I have never seen them skip a beat. Earlier I said to let her go but I’ve changed my mind. I would take the chance in your case. Worse that can happen is she slows down, but if it goes the way we hope I think she’ll like it.

You mentioned transplanting into a 7 gallon container. I’ve not grown in that large a container with autos. Largest I’ve done is in 5 gallon. I grow in coco, but I’m ready to start cooking my soil for Doc Buds HB kit. I’m going with 10 gallon final container sizes and making the transition back to photoperiod plants because of it. That reminds me, I need to get seeds started ASAP haha. Short-term memory loss strikes again! Peace! :Namaste:

I just can't get behind the auto root myth. I've pulled multiple autos from 1 gal pots that were nearly root bound and weren't flowering yet.

Meh... they just gon' flower when their little sassy ass is good & ready. LoL

-P:ganjamon:

I just can't get behind the auto root myth. I've pulled multiple autos from 1 gal pots that were nearly root bound and weren't flowering yet.

That is probably true. Do your autos miss a beat when they are transplanted? Mine usually don’t even trip. I up pot when they are only 7 days or so. I actually just dropped some beans and I’d love to start em’ in a 1 gallon pot and transplant. How long are you waiting to transplant? Must be right around week 2 or 3 I imagine.

I think it should be transplanted with minimal stress is what I should have written.:Namaste:
Oh, gotcha!
Yes, rootbound was probably the wrong word - just the roots curling on the bottom is what i was thinking of. Good luck with the transplant :goodluck:
Exactly what happened...see below!
I have heard of this phenomenon with transplantation of autos. But I can't say I ever noticed any harm done to them and I transplanted them 2 or 3 times sometimes. But it sure can be an issue with some strains maybe...
We'll see, all in the name of science :)
Heya Shed, apologies for missing out on the convo last night.
So I agree with @bobrown14 in that I believe(d) ;) the roots hitting the bottom activates flowering. Recently, I had the pleasure of growing out my last Tyrone Special bean from Mephisto Genetics. The beans of this strain I grew before were in 3 gallon, the most recent was in 2 gallon. The difference between when flowering started was surprising although I must admit 2 gallons is the smallest I have gone.
Typically, the advice is to start in the final container. I have started in solo cups before and transplanted. When I do it, I’m just simply waiting about 7 days to transplant. Great white in the hole and on the transplant. I have never seen them skip a beat. Earlier I said to let her go but I’ve changed my mind. I would take the chance in your case. Worse that can happen is she slows down, but if it goes the way we hope I think she’ll like it.
You mentioned transplanting into a 7 gallon container. I’ve not grown in that large a container with autos. Largest I’ve done is in 5 gallon. I grow in coco, but I’m ready to start cooking my soil for Doc Buds HB kit. I’m going with 10 gallon final container sizes and making the transition back to photoperiod plants because of it. That reminds me, I need to get seeds started ASAP haha. Short-term memory loss strikes again! Peace! :Namaste:
I'm with Preston below as @flytier proved that to be an urban myth. He made pots that were like 20" tall and no roots hit the bottom. They flowered when they were ready. To get a plant to flower when the tap root hit the bottom would be a feat of genetic engineering as no plant in the wild has evolved that way.

All my autos go into 7 gallons from sprout except this one. This will be a test!
This ^ :thumb:
That is probably true. Do your autos miss a beat when they are transplanted? Mine usually don’t even trip. I up pot when they are only 7 days or so. I actually just dropped some beans and I’d love to start em’ in a 1 gallon pot and transplant. How long are you waiting to transplant? Must be right around week 2 or 3 I imagine.
This is day 32 so we'll see!

------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday and it was time to wake up and smell the ProMixHP!

The inverse sand castle transplant method for Blue Treacle 1 on day 32:

Yes @Derbybud I remembered the mkyos, though I couldn't get it to stick to the vertical surfaces as they were dry. Root ball was not bound but held together nicely for the process. I did not loosen or score it as I normally would:

In its new home:

I patted down the soil so everything was touching, and gave it 3/4 gallon of flower-transition nutes. Into a gallon went:
½ tsp Armor Si
3 ml cal/mag+
½ tsp Grow Big
1/8 tsp Open Sesame
1 tbs Big Bloom
½ tsp Great White
TDS was 420 and pH was 6.5
Here it is:

Here is Blue Treacle 2 on day 6. It would be funny if the first one does better!

And here is Peyote Critical on day 2 after a day of sun and a night off to the side of the Mars 300:

Thanks to all for your help in deciding what to do with the transplant. This place is the place to be!
:circle-of-love:

I have had a few bad transplants back when I was up-potting them multiple times. Now I really only up-pot once from a cup to their final container. I never have any issue with doing them that way. Super gentle and keep the whole bulb in tact, no negative response.

I've done a few that were older plants and they were just fine as long as I could keep the root ball intact. Totally possible to do without shocking the plant.

:passitleft:

Obviously nobody held your beer, or nobody didn't and neither did anyone else!

Of course now it's back in the shed, hanging on the strings drying because it's too much to fit in a box. I've got two fans on high in there now because it's never going to get dryer than 70% in there anyway. Thanks Lowded!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I got home and the Blue Treacle Freacle had not been transplanted, but I found this:

And finally, a bottom that looked like this:

So of course I had to do this:

Peyote Critical day 1, now in ProMix HP with extra mykos, watered with distilled. Grow baby grow!
Here's to new beginnings!!

:bravo::popcorn:

I forgot about that mycos not sticking to the dry rootball thing. Last time, I gave my rootball a very light mist with plain water so the powder would stick ;) It worked well.

The Blue Treacle #1 sure looks perky and ready to get going. I don’t think it’s going to skip a beat!

Back
Top Bottom