InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Any off taste would just be chlorophyll. Think of it like having your vegetables! Put a drop of vanilla in your tincture bottle...just thought of that :).
Oh yeah I have heard some say that the water in bubblehash helps leech off the chlorophyll I guess that makes sense.

I like the article. Had no idea the yield amount was that much different. I will have to give it a try now for sure. I tend to only get a 10% weight return even with insanely trichome-laden material.

But I am cautious now that they say the high is different. Bubble hash has been the only thing that stops my vomiting nearly every time. I have even got a lot of high potency distillate from the stores that turned out hit or miss. Seems like solvent based extraction loses something.

Heh when I was a teenager I just remember kids nearly blowing their hands off with it more than anything productive.

I think I have seen it for about 5 bucks a pound. I feel like one major advantage would be not having to scrape it up off the bag.

I ended up busting the seems of one of my bags pulling it over the top of a bucket to making it taught enough to scrape. Saw Bubbleman himself do that, but was not a good idea.

My brother gets migraines so may I ask how you use it for them?
I have managed to stave off a migraine all weekend without any meds with regular application of my topical to the top of my spine/base of my neck area (you can read all about that area here), as well as on the muscles in the back of my neck up into my hairline. I rolled it on and rubbed it in every 2-4 hours from Friday afternoon through Saturday night, and while I felt like I had a stiff neck some of the time, I never got the pain that comes when I don't take the meds early.

And, a woman in my office got some relief from her migraine, though she didn't use it early enough to prevent her from having to take her meds. I told her she needs to apply it as soon as she gets the hint of something happening. A doctor told me years ago, "Never chase a headache." Meaning get on top of it quickly with whatever you're going to be using to knock it down.
I have been wondering how strong my olive oil is too.
This is what I need to calculate oil strength:
Estimated % of THC in the buds
Number of grams of bud used
Number of milliliters of oil used
Method of infusion and for how long (e.g. in a jar the oven for 2 hours...).

I use a spreadsheet that Oldbear created, so if you have that info I can give you an idea of what you've got!

Just a drive-by

I get my dry ice from Baskin Robins Ice Crem,, but have brought it from butchers markets.

Oh yeah I have heard some say that the water in bubblehash helps leech off the chlorophyll I guess that makes sense.

I like the article. Had no idea the yield amount was that much different. I will have to give it a try now for sure. I tend to only get a 10% weight return even with insanely trichome-laden material.

But I am cautious now that they say the high is different. Bubble hash has been the only thing that stops my vomiting nearly every time. I have even got a lot of high potency distillate from the stores that turned out hit or miss. Seems like solvent based extraction loses something.
Funky taste during dry ice extraction generally comes from shaking (extracting) for too long. There is a sweet spot where ya should stop to get really good kief.

As you're shaking, the tricome heads will all drop off, leaving a big pile of sandy colored kief. If shaken for too long with the dry ice, plant material will become small & brittle enough to pass through the screen too.

You can see it clear as day when it starts happening. You'll be shaking out amazing, clean kief, but eventually the material that you are shaking out of the bag will be a little darker & greener. That's generally where I stop.

I've also seen a few people who shake out a good clean extraction, set aside for making dabs, then shake the shit outta what's left to make hash pucks.

It's crazy effective and produces a bunch of usable material.... quick.
:passitleft:

I have managed to stave off a migraine all weekend without any meds with regular application of my topical to the top of my spine/base of my neck area (you can read all about that area here), as well as on the muscles in the back of my neck up into my hairline. I rolled it on and rubbed it in every 2-4 hours from Friday afternoon through Saturday night, and while I felt like I had a stiff neck some of the time, I never got the pain that comes when I don't take the meds early.

And, a woman in my office got some relief from her migraine, though she didn't use it early enough to prevent her from having to take her meds. I told her she needs to apply it as soon as she gets the hint of something happening. A doctor told me years ago, "Never chase a headache." Meaning get on top of it quickly with whatever you're going to be using to knock it down.

This is what I need to calculate oil strength:
Estimated % of THC in the buds
Number of grams of bud used
Number of milliliters of oil used
Method of infusion and for how long (e.g. in a jar the oven for 2 hours...).

I use a spreadsheet that Oldbear created, so if you have that info I can give you an idea of what you've got!

That is pretty inspiring information Shed because my brother has had migraines for years and nothing seems to help so hopefully he will be willing to give your method a try.

Judging by how it affects me my oil seems to be pretty consistent in potency. My method of a fusion is to cut the bud into pretty small pieces and then decarb in the oven dry for two hours at 230F then I put the bud in a mason jar and put in just enough olive oil to cover all the bud and then I put that in a crockpot on a slow boil for about six hours.

I did measure my last batch hoping to figure out how potent my oil is; I used 7 g of bud dried to about 62% and I ended up with about one fluid ounce or 29 ml of finished infused olive oil.

Yes, Everclear is more expensive than the best grapeseed oil you can buy, but with the leftovers it's a better way to go. You only need enough to cover the trim. Here is Grandpa's method for QWET:
Grandpa Gets Oily! Everclear Extracts For Shatter Or Oil!

Another forum I used to spend a lot of time on is, Home Distiller, so I actually have gallons of homemade 95% neutral spirit or basically vodka sitting around so I have been thinking of making some oil using the alcohol method.

I read Grandpa Tokin’s method and since that thread has died I thought I would ask for clarification here. I know with the alcohol method the problem is if you soak the weed too long in such a high alcohol content you get chlorophyll which is bad but everyone seems to disagree on how long to soak. Grandpa soaked for less than a minute and he didn’t mention using alcohol that has been put in a freezer but his bottle looks frosty so I suspect he did but I have read people using the freezer method with alcohol and soaking for up to eight minutes so does anyone have any suggestion for soak times and methods?

Another part of his method that surprised me was when he evaporates the alcohol with a double cooker he says to keep it below 140°F to keep as many terpines as possible. My understanding in using such a low temperature to keep terpines would not be enough to decarb the THC so instead of getting THC he would end up with THCA. So for topicals is it recommended not to decarb then?

Think I m too high... Maybe I read it in her thread.. I went look for ng for the link to give you.. Nothing.
It was a detailed description on freezing, take out shake, put back in the freezer..
Be back with it...

29 ml of finished infused olive oil.
I would need to know how much oil you started with to do the calcs.
since that thread has died I thought I would ask for clarification here.
Grandpa responds to any questions you post there for sure.
My understanding in using such a low temperature to keep terpines would not be enough to decarb the THC so instead of getting THC he would end up with THCA. So for topicals is it recommended not to decarb then?
Topicals need to be decarbed. And QWET is decarbed after evaporation , either in a toaster oven the way Grandpa does it for making oils, or when you smoke it with the flame.

QUOTE="InTheShed, post: 4332834, member: 291740"]I would need to know how much oil you started with to do the calcs.[/QUOTE]

I would say that I did start out with about 29ml because my one ounce eyedropper bottle was almost full so I would say I started with about 29ml and ended up with about 25ml with the loss absorbed into the weed. I know I not giving exact numbers but they should be close enough to tell me if I am in the ballpark.

Grandpa responds to any questions you post there for sure.

Ok, I may try him there. No one posted since Nov so thought it was dead.

Topicals need to be decarbed. And QWET is decarbed after evaporation , either in a toaster oven the way Grandpa does it for making oils, or when you smoke it with the flame.

Thanks Shed, I will be decarbing my oil then too. :thumb:

I would say that I did start out with about 29ml because my one ounce eyedropper bottle was almost full so I would say I started with about 29ml and ended up with about 25ml with the loss absorbed into the weed. I know I not giving exact numbers but they should be close enough to tell me if I am in the ballpark.

Ok, I may try him there. No one posted since Nov so thought it was dead.

Thanks Shed, I will be decarbing my oil then too. :thumb:
When I get on my computer later I'll run those numbers for you.

I'm sure Grandpa will reply...give it a shot as a test?

No need to decarb your oil as you decarbed the weed before you made it as mentioned above. That decarb note was for after QWET evaporation.

I get my dry ice from Baskin Robins Ice Crem.
That makes it 33 flavors but the last one freezes your tongue solid!
As you're shaking, the tricome heads will all drop off, leaving a big pile of sandy colored kief. If shaken for too long with the dry ice, plant material will become small & brittle enough to pass through the screen too.
You can see it clear as day when it starts happening. You'll be shaking out amazing, clean kief, but eventually the material that you are shaking out of the bag will be a little darker & greener. That's generally where I stop.
Great info...thanks P!
I'm glad linking is catching on...thank you AB :).

Back
Top Bottom