InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

It is a lot of work, @PCaddict ! I need to pour mine out of the cans and give it a mixing today.
This will sit in cans and cook until next March so just under 6 months Is that OK and is it OK to leave it outside in the winter ?

This will sit in cans and cook until next March so just under 6 months Is that OK and is it OK to leave it outside in the winter ?

Most likely the longer the better. I assume leaving it out in winter is OK. Regular earth does fine with that.

@InTheShed
Autos? You've said you haven't had the greatest luck with them. What's the plan? In the tent? What strains/breeders? You got this. #nomorespogs
I'm thinking of running two DDAs, as they're not big producers and probably even less so at my house :). I have a few cross-bred seeds from another member here. And I'm not sure if it's going to be shed or tent at night...tent for two is probably most efficient.
Yer gunna love the DTF
Bummer about the rot...but that's the challenge of outdoor grows
Thanks Chris! I hope that DTF is as good as its reputation. :thumb:
Congrats on another fabulous weekend of harvesting. I’m so glad to hear Mrs. Shed and mini Shed, feminized - helped with the trimming some. It’s so much work all alone. I’ll join the choir and say, sorry to hear about the rot-losses. That’s a terrible reward for growing fat nugs.
AUTOS huh?! Cool :cool: What strains you got in mind for that? I’m getting ready to drop some myself. That’s right Shed, now that your summer schepping is nearly complete, I’ll be adding another journal for you to get behind on. ;)
Thank you double H! Team trimming is the way to go, though still not as many hands as BL has (along with his robo-trimmer!). And I'm actually looking forward to you getting back to solo-journaling.
I am mixing Subcools Super Soil right now. Dam its a lot of work mixing this much soil
That's like 8 foot around the tarp is 14x24 so this is A Lot of dirt. after this I have to mix for the High Brix and then for the Coots Mix I am going to be Dead after this. I may mix the other soils tomorrow
Looks like back-breaking work, but professionally done PCa! You even taped down the sides of the tarp.
If it's already cooked, then you can leave it out for the winter. But it won't cook all that well in cold temps. I can't remember the best air temp for cooking soil but I think it's at least above 60º F. I'm sure @Van Stank or @stoneotter can tell you for sure.

I'm thinking of running two DDAs, as they're not big producers and probably even less so at my house :). I have a few cross-bred seeds from another member here. And I'm not sure if it's going to be shed or tent at night...tent for two is probably most efficient.

Thanks Chris! I hope that DTF is as good as its reputation. :thumb:

Thank you double H! Team trimming is the way to go, though still not as many hands as BL has (along with his robo-trimmer!). And I'm actually looking forward to you getting back to solo-journaling.

Looks like back-breaking work, but professionally done PCa! You even taped down the sides of the tarp.

If it's already cooked, then you can leave it out for the winter. But it won't cook all that well in cold temps. I can't remember the best air temp for cooking soil but I think it's at least above 60º F. I'm sure @Van Stank or @stoneotter can tell you for sure.
Hey @PCaddict , Van has more grasp than I do for these things. I however don't mind guessing that outdoors for cooking over that time should be fine. Just 3 or 4 weeks in the mid 70's in the cellar makes mine usable though not best I hear. I fear what bugs we bring in when going the outdoor route. Many don't, but I do. I keep it in barrels and buckets so far. in the basement.

Yeah you definitely want to try to get cooking in 70 degree + temps for a good cook. You will be much less likely to attract pests, and the plants will respond so much better in properly cooked soil. If you store for long term without using, you will want to make sure you keep the moisture level consistent. Don't let it dry out.

That's like 8 foot around the tarp is 14x24 so this is A Lot of dirt. after this I have to mix for the High Brix and then for the Coots Mix I am going to be Dead after this. I may mix the other soils tomorrow
Ain't dirt fun!

Just make sure you don't piss of the soil gods or they will punish your shovel like they did mine!

Thanks for those quick replies @stoneotter and @Van Stank!

-----------------------------------------

Tuesday update and the first overcast day since the beginning of July! Since once the AK is harvested there will be no plants in veg or flowering for a while, it seems like a good time to turn our attention to bonsai mothering.

I have been keeping my clones in the bike shed at night under the MarsHydro 300, and the solo cup ones are root bound and have grown into the light. So this weekend I'll be selecting one of each strain to keep as a mother plant. Here are the two bonsai mother plants I already have in 1 gallon pots:

Berry Bomb 1.3.1 on the left, Peyote Critical 1.1.1 on the right:

And here are the outdoor solo-cup clones. The Candidas are 1.1.x and 2.1.x. The IIP's and DTF's are 1.x. :

There are actually 6 lanky Candidas as the first cup on the left has three in it, but I'll be tossing that cup out as there's no reason to try separating the roots at this point with three others growing well. After I upcan to 1 gallon, I'll top them and replace the MarsHydro 300 with a single 23w 6500K CFL bulb to slow growth to a minimum.

In addition to these, I still have clones on the heat mat inside. I've sent off three IIPs to another member here, but I still have IIP and DTF monstercrops, along with Sour G. I'll keep the best two Sour G's and toss the monstercrops since I have big versions outside already. In the end, I'll be mothering:
Candida lanky
Candida squat
IIP
DTF
BeBo
PC
Sour G

Seven plants...crazy, I know! First to go will be the Peyote Critical (any San Diego takers?) and Amy might be able to convince me to dump the lanky Candida.

That's it for me this morning! Be the sun in your world :cool: .

Yeah you definitely want to try to get cooking in 70 degree + temps for a good cook. You will be much less likely to attract pests, and the plants will respond so much better in properly cooked soil. If you store for long term without using, you will want to make sure you keep the moisture level consistent. Don't let it dry out.
Thanks I will mix and water it a little every couple weeks until it gets cold. I hope we have enough ward days before it gets cold, PS I am keeping it in covered trash cans until next spring when I will put it in 20 gal. fabric pots.

Make sure you get it warmed up good for a couple weeks before you use it. It can overwinter fine assuming you don't live in the Yukon. I might water in something just to spark some activity/life a couple weeks before you use it as well. I like fish emulsion or liquid kelp. Gives the herd a little something to get going full steam.

Make sure you get it warmed up good for a couple weeks before you use it. It can overwinter fine assuming you don't live in the Yukon. I might water in something just to spark some activity/life a couple weeks before you use it as well. I like fish emulsion or liquid kelp. Gives the herd a little something to get going full steam.
I will be using it next spring. I will keep giving it a little water and a little mixing every couple week until it gets cold In South West Ohio that's about mid November maybe earlier depending on what kind of winter we are going to have

I am mixing Subcools Super Soil right now. Dam its a lot of work mixing this much soil
Subcools Super Soil .jpg
That ended up filling 3 35 gal. Trash cans so close to 105 Gal. of Super Soil. So they will fill 5 20gal. pots or I may fill 3 20 gal. pots and 4 10 gal. pots and put different soils in those same size pots for a comparison of the different soils yes that's what I will do …. Lol :surf:

No need to remix. Just mix the initial time with LOS and let it be. Just add the water. Mixing will actually hurt the herd. Think about it like this....tons of cities below the soil that took weeks and weeks for the herd to build and then you try and help and you stick your shovel in and destroy everything they spent time making. You will have much more life and energy to your soil if you don't remix.

Mix it good once and let it be is always best. I used to turn the soil in my veggie garden beds. I stopped doing that and went to no til growing and man, let me tell you!!! Such an amazing difference. What you want in your soil is a crazy active food web and you get that by leaving it alone. Top dress when you need to add something in and let nature do what its done for millions of years.

No need to remix. Just mix the initial time with LOS and let it be. Just add the water. Mixing will actually hurt the herd. Think about it like this....tons of cities below the soil that took weeks and weeks for the herd to build and then you try and help and you stick your shovel in and destroy everything they spent time making. You will have much more life and energy to your soil if you don't remix.

Mix it good once and let it be is always best. I used to turn the soil in my veggie garden beds. I stopped doing that and went to no til growing and man, let me tell you!!! Such an amazing difference. What you want in your soil is a crazy active food web and you get that by leaving it alone. Top dress when you need to add something in and let nature do what its done for millions of years.

Now, that's an idea I can support. I like efficiency. It's not that I'm lazy, but I hate wasting energy (especially if it's counterproductive).

Thank you for saving me some work.

Thanks Again, I will do just that add a little water every few weeks until it starts to freeze out and I will NOT turn or mix it until I put it in pots in the spring. Man I love this site , ask a question and with in minutes you have replies cant get much better time for another toke :snowboating:

I have learned the hard way how not to do things. I like paying those lessons forward to others. And believe me, with a bad back and mixing soil.....you learn do things as efficiently as possible. Speaking of mixing soil, I need to get down and start measuring out the amendments for my next two batches of soil.

I am going to have to do something that I warned you against. I was out of big bins/Trash cans for cooking my soil in so I mixed a batch a month ago and cooked it wrapped in a tarp outdoors. Now I need to get it into bins since I have picked up a couple more trash cans. I hate that I will be disturbing it but it will likely get a couple weeks to keep cooking in the trash cans before I will be using it. I need to get the new batches cooking before the fall temps drop too much here in New England.

Back
Top Bottom